Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:34   #361
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled

I've not seen any images of the same, but I have confirmed that the Virtus will have ambient lighting
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-vwvirtus.png  

sid3091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 00:49   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodness: ambient lighting a dealbreaker? Really?

(I've never had it, so I probably underestimate it)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 00:58   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Goodness: ambient lighting a dealbreaker? Really?

(I've never had it, so I probably underestimate it)
By itself, no. Combine it with no 360' camera (or even a half decent reverse cam), no powered seats, no panoramic sunroof, Then yes it does become a dealbreaker. I want at least ONE of these features, especially when shelling it out 20+ lacs.
sid3091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 01:38   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
By itself, no. Combine it with no 360' camera (or even a half decent reverse cam), no powered seats, no panoramic sunroof, Then yes it does become a dealbreaker. I want at least ONE of these features, especially when shelling it out 20+ lacs.
Well said. For a 20 lac sedan, the virtus/slavia is surprisingly barebones. At the most they should have offered powered seats to make it feel like less of a dressed up economy car.
Cresterk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 02:11   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I want at least ONE of these features, especially when shelling it out 20+ lacs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
For a 20 lac sedan
You mean you want something that differs by more than just shape from a mid-range hatchback? I can understand that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:24   #366
BHPian

After lot of searching and lot of thinking I have finally pre-booked 1.0 MT Vitrus.
If Virtus was available in 1.5 MT I would have gone with that booking without any second thoughts, but as it was not available and didnt want to go for DSG, I went for 1.0MT.

I considered 1.5 Slavia for sometime, but was not sure of the service centers in Hydearbad. I already have a VW polo and know few SM's so preferred VW over Skoda.

Had a thought of considering Hyundai, but timely NCAP rating helped me push it out of consideration.
Now all depends on the pricing of Virtus. If its going to cost more than Skoda, I may shift back to that.
saats07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:13   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've not seen any images of the same, but I have confirmed that the Virtus will have ambient lighting
Off topic:
I don't know what to say! I've driven many cars and about 95% of the time, I look outside and rarely see what the interiors look like during the drive or even in traffic. I understand it differs from person to person.

I sometimes feel 75% of our buyers place more emphasis on features that will only be used for 5% of the time. The only thing that is just obvious during a drive (for both passenger and driver) is the performance, ride, handling, ergonomics, AC, music system sound quality, interior space and convenience features like 360° camera

But I feel a lot of first time buyers, like the one who made that tweet, really don't know what they need in a car. I guess, we'll continue to get half baked products with a lot of needles features for years to come until the average customer base matures in their requirement.

Apart from that, can't wait for the Virtus and Slavia to get crash tested. Wonder why VAG hasn't taken the initiative.
Turbohead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:48   #368
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Off topic:

But I feel a lot of first time buyers, like the one who made that tweet, really don't know what they need in a car. I guess, we'll continue to get half baked products with a lot of needles features for years to come until the average customer base matures in their requirement.

OT: Agree to a fair extent. I see touchscreen infotainment screen size, sunroof, electric start/ stop button, ambient lighting are among the main talking points for both OEMs as well buyers, while deciding on a car these days.

Well, I understand design and importance of features are quite subjective
and vary widely. For me however, features like rear AC vents are absolutely necessary considering the long simmering heat we get in WB/ other parts in India.

I believe this, along with rear adjustable headrests should be made standard across all vehicles.
e46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 12:33   #369
BHPian

Is the media drive around the corner?

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-4182039844144d8b99089e8f5f7d2587.jpeg
Old 27th April 2022, 13:46   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Off topic:

I am the person who made that tweet and no, I am not a first time buyer. I'm upgrading from an Ecosport S (our other car is a Duster AWD and previous buys include the OG Endeavour, Tata Safari 4x4, Punto 90HP), so you best believe we have our priorities clear when it comes to cars.

And yes, I do pay attention to interiors and interior design (It's a big sore point in our duster for the entire family) and ambient lighting goes a long way in lifting up the overall look and feel of the cabin.
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:52   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I sometimes feel 75% of our buyers place more emphasis on features that will only be used for 5% of the time. The only thing that is just obvious during a drive (for both passenger and driver) is the performance, ride, handling, ergonomics, AC, music system sound quality, interior space and convenience features like 360° camera
Agreed. There are a few gadgets that I would like, eg the 360 camera that you mention. There are some that I would be very upset to find missing, eg auto-up/down on all windows, which my 2014 Polo has, but I think VW got mean about later. One gadget I do insist on is climate control rather than plain AC: set and forget, car will always be comfortable.

On the other hand, I don't like meanness, and VW has a tradition of it! I do dislike the majority-blanked VW switch panels. And this is not just cost cutting for India: the Golf I drove in London, 1990, was just the same!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:58   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saats07 View Post
timely NCAP rating
Quote:
Apart from that, can't wait for the Virtus and Slavia to get crash tested. Wonder why VAG hasn't taken the initiative.
It's actually very mysterious because in Latin NCAP (now much tougher, but run by the same people behind Global NCAP), Volkswagen have a five-star policy for new models and sponsor every new Latin American launch (including, I'm given to understand, the made-in-India LHD Mexican T-Cross, I estimate publication somewhere after 13 May but I could be wrong).

Even more surprising is their decision to offer only two airbags as standard on such a modern car. Yes, it's very nice if they haven't compromised structurally for the RHD car but regardless of Global NCAP not testing these systems (yet), removing safety assist systems and side head-protecting airbags is probably a worse compromise than minor structural differences or intrusion affecting less critical body parts, despite consumers getting madder at the latter. Regardless of the upcoming mandate they said during the Virtus' unveil that it will get only two airbags as standard. Even if it scores five stars under the current (=2013 Latin NCAP) Global NCAP protocols it's still a big compromise compared to the Latin American version.

What's confusing is that Zac Hollis said that they were 'looking forward to them testing the Skoda Kushaq' which does not explain why they aren't initating testing. Either it takes too many resources to fund testing (tests are currently in Germany), or Volkswagen doesn't recognise Global NCAP SaferCarsForIndia as an NCAP, because to be fair it wasn't supposed to be more than a basic research project. Or, maybe Volkswagen plans to sponsor it under the new July protocols where achieving five stars combined (adult and child) is easier because of the new scoring structure.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 14:21   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes, I do pay attention to interiors and interior design (It's a big sore point in our duster for the entire family) and ambient lighting goes a long way in lifting up the overall look and feel of the cabin.
Apologies if I have offended you and am sorry for the generalization I have made. I never expected a driver to be very particular about this. The diversity in opinions and preferences we have in T-BHP is honestly brilliant.

But I must say that my comment is not valid for non driving members of the family- interior design and ambience really matter to them.

Whatever it might be, VAG 2.0 interiors are disappointing and that's a fact compared to the standards they have maintained in the past.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 20:14   #374
BHPian

Few pictures from the media drive.

Glad that white colour dynamic variant on display as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-eac0237b0d31419e92c6932fb73f5b53.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-4346d02c56ee41e58ab6900ee199fe5d.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-3a3875f52cfe476ea751b15e3efb6d03.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-05de4d0b26c94cd8a4af6b9c797ad51a.jpeg  

dr.delete is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 21:37   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Virtus media briefing, reviews drops on 6th May

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213135.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213137.jpg

The Volkswagen Virtus is the longest, and widest in the segment with best-in-class wheelbase and a class-leading 521L of boot space.

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213150.jpg

The larger dimensions translate to ample space on the inside.

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213204.jpg

Engine and transmission options

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213218.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213220.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213226.jpg

Top speed

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213235.jpg

The Virtus comes with more than 40 safety features.

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213242.jpg

Colour options

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220428_213253.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th April 2022 at 21:43.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks