Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2022, 17:26   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Chaotic to the core, see VW's reply on the 1.5TSI variant!

Attachment 2284697
This is a bummer. I was looking forward to an affordable enthusiast's delight from VW. They did launch a well priced 1.5 TSI MT in the Taigun just under 15 lakhs, though it lacked some key features. VW is missing an opportunity to capture a unique position as the most fun car to drive under 15 lakhs ex-showroom.
84.monsoon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 15:19   #257

Re: Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This is a bummer. I was looking forward to an affordable enthusiast's delight from VW. They did launch a well priced 1.5 TSI MT in the Taigun just under 15 lakhs, though it lacked some key features. VW is missing an opportunity to capture a unique position as the most fun car to drive under 15 lakhs ex-showroom.
Even I'm disappointed with this. But anyway let's go with skoda slavia which is basically the same car. With some delightful mods we can sooth our souls.
Old 17th March 2022, 22:38   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got confirmation from someone in VW India that 1.5 Manual will not be launched. I countered by saying that in one of the brochures it's written that the Performance line (GT Trim) will be available with a 6 Speed manual to which that personnel confirmed its a mistake. However have conveyed my (& other Enthusiasts) disappointment regarding the same and have requested to strongly reconsider a 1.5 Manual GT option/variant.
karan561 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 12:56   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Just got confirmation from someone in VW India that 1.5 Manual will not be launched. I countered by saying that in one of the brochures it's written that the Performance line (GT Trim) will be available with a 6 Speed manual to which that personnel confirmed its a mistake. However have conveyed my (& other Enthusiasts) disappointment regarding the same and have requested to strongly reconsider a 1.5 Manual GT option/variant.
Why did they consider to skip 1.5 MT?
Old 18th March 2022, 13:58   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
All about improving margins. 1 litre through economies of scale. 1.5 +DSG means a premium
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 03:03   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
to which that personnel confirmed its a mistake.
They now have corrected it in brochure too!
So the 1.5TSI + MT is not coming in Virtus
Its a shame. To me this was hands down a better looker than the Slavia and going by VWs reputation this must have been a better handler with stiffer suspension.
In this day and age this probably was the best thing a stick shifter could get and VW have omitted that one perfect combo too.

Does it have to do with the exclusivity in Slavia (as skoda is managing VW here)? or is it that they dont care for this "powerful engine + manual transmission" combo anymore?

Manuals with fun to drive engines are dying...which makes some of us very sad. The EVs will never have gear shifts and these probably are the last few years for mainstream ICEs

I really really hope they fix this with some future facelift...
shishir333 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 10:43   #262
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I don't think it'll matter.

Only an enthusiast would buy the 1.5 MT and most of them would be aware that Slavia is offering the 1.5 TSI + MT powertrain combination.Economy focused buyers will buy the 1.0T + MT or the Ciaz :P
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 11:42   #263
BHPian

Well, an explanation of why VW didn't launch 1.5 + MT combination in Virtus could be :

Firstly,
Taigun gets the 1.5 + MT combination in the lower spec GT trim based on Highline version. I am not really sure how many buyers in the market are really looking for a performance pseudo SUV with high ground clearance with no bells and whistles whatsoever. Even after modifying the Taigun, it is hard to get the sporty driving that one could get from say, a sedan or a hatchback. Performance oriented enthusiasts would still be buying Polo or Vento, or Slavia 1.5 MT (I know slavia has a higher ground clearance, and in a recent video by zigwheels, kushaq handled better than the Slavia around the corners but being a sedan, ride height can be lowered and all those mods can be made to make the drive sportier, for an enthusiast !).

Secondly,
if the variants of Taigun and Kushaq be analyzed closely, the price difference between the Taigun 1.5 GT Manual and Kushaq 1.5 Style Manual is just 1.1 lakh ex showroom, which makes GT overpriced for me, knowing that it is based on the highline trim. The only things that are extra in GT trim from the Highline are the part leatherette seat covers, the same as in GT+ and the GT emblems all over the car along with red ambient lighting instead of white. It makes more sense to spend 1.1 lakhs more and buy the Skoda Kushaq instead as it offers many features over the Highline model and gets 6 airbags too. So I don't see many buyers of the 1.5 GT combination if something similar was being planned for the Virtus as well. Also, the ex-showroom price difference between 1.0 and 1.5 maunals in Style variant of Kushaq is 1.7 lakhs, but the same price difference in the Slavia is 2.2 lakhs ! If a similar premium would have been charged for a 1.5 GT(a lower spec trim than GT+) in Virtus, that variant would have been dead on arrival.

Last but not the least, VW globally will get rid of Manual Transmissions. Maybe, that part is now also being implemented here in India as well.

These are all speculations I have made. This doesn't justify VW not launching a 1.5 Manual transmission, they could have launched it in the fully loaded trim just like the DSG version.
FrAgile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 15:27   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan23 View Post
No Real/Valid reason given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
Its a shame. To me this was hands down a better looker than the Slavia and going by VWs reputation this must have been a better handler with stiffer suspension.
In this day and age this probably was the best thing a stick shifter could get and VW have omitted that one perfect combo too.
I Agree !

Quote:
Does it have to do with the exclusivity in Slavia (as skoda is managing VW here)? or is it that they dont care for this "powerful engine + manual transmission" combo anymore?
Probably. As someone mentioned earlier that Skoda India calls the shots now & VW India just have to Agree. But if VW India have strategically (for whatever reason) dropped the 1.5 GT M/T then they need to reassess.

Last edited by karan561 : 19th March 2022 at 15:39.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 18:48   #265
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Superb Looker
- classy, performance packed, sharp, it is the best in class

I was going gaga over Slavia and VW unveiled this, I am liking the aggressive product approach of VW group

But, interiors of slavia are better, boxy approach with body coloured casing in Vitrus is no match for Slavia interiors (round AC vent with this finish compared to rectangular in virtrus and so on)
Old 19th March 2022, 19:13   #266
BANNED

I don’t think the omission of 1.5 manual will cause a big dent in sales and for the enthusiast there is always the Slavia 1.5 manual. Volkswagen may be apprehensive about the numbers that could be garnered at such a premium pricing for a manual. If they were only looking for numbers, they could have simply equipped a base version of 1.5 manual. They are just expecting 1500-2000 sales from Virtus, not an ambitious target I feel.
Old 19th March 2022, 23:42   #267
BHPian

To me, it looks like Skoda got jealous of how much attention the VW Virtus got compared to the Skoda Slavia and decided to axe the 1.5 MT for the VW so it can get the advantage. I'm just kidding though as I have no idea as to how these companies work :P
Old 20th March 2022, 09:52   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

One doubt - Have VW officially confirmed a similarly high groud clearance for the Virtus as the Skoda Slavia? Th Slavia has 178 mm GC and this definitely shows! But looking at the Virtus visuals so far, it does not look so out of place in terms of chassis height. Perhaps it is just clever camera angles, but while the Slavia looks a bit artificially uplifted, the Virtus seems to camouflage this aspect better (unless it indeed has lower GC).

On the whole, the design of the Virtus looks very mainstream VW and forgettable. The Slavia is much more edgy and has quite a personality. In a couple of years, the Virtus will not stand out at all, IMO, specially in lighter colours.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 10:43   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
On the whole, the design of the Virtus looks very mainstream VW and forgettable. The Slavia is much more edgy and has quite a personality. In a couple of years, the Virtus will not stand out at all, IMO, specially in lighter colours.
I am not sure about that at all.
While looks are subjective etc. etc. I'll say this much, VW cars have fairly understated designs when they are new, exterior and interior, and look 'boring' compared to the rest but over time they seem to be the ones that age well.
A good example would be the 'fluidic' verna which looks fairly dated today but was full of the edgy personality when it came out, whereas the Vento/Rapid of the same vintage still look much more current.
Maky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 11:33   #270
BHPian

As far as I am concerned, this is a great move. Manual transmission is a relic from the past that should have been long phased out. It has lingered on far too long in India but is fortunately losing its grip now. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to bother changing gears when it can be done automatically. We let the vehicle decide how to apply ABS, how to handle fuel injection and so many other things. Let it handle the transmission as well. When the world is moving towards autonomous driving, there are people still worrying about changing gears! I hope all manufacturers will follow suit.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st March 2022 at 05:24. Reason: Missing word added
Lobogris is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed