Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 12:27   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Dare I say I am bored of VW designs and so called "German" touch. Since last 11 years I am seeing VW designs. Polo, Vento, Ameo, Jetta, Passat, T-Roc, Tiguan, Taigun and now this Virtus. Their faces look so similar, same grill with 1/2/3/4 horizontal line with VW logo slapped in the middle, side profiles with whisker, shoulder line and boring tail lamps with straight lines. .
Agree with this to a great extent. Product differentiation is something missing in VW line up for a long time. Most cars look same to untrained eyes from the front. Front looks of a car contribute the most to brand and variant recall.
As a Polo owner It was nearly impossible to upgrade with in VW family. Even family members think that all cars looks same and new car purchase excitement will be missing. People won't simply notice the upgrade unless they look closer.

Now they have started playing with rhyming names like Taigun, Tiguan, Taigo, T-Roc, T-Cross. so on and so forth.. They themselves make mistakes in advertisement materials Taigun for Tiguan and vice versa. Imagination is thoroughly lacking in these fronts.

Last edited by poloman : 9th March 2022 at 12:29.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 12:37   #212
BHPian

Hello. Does anyone know the timelines (Media drives, Launch Dates, Launch Dates) related to the Virtus?

I have a Taigun GT Plus on booking, which some how isnt available at all. Need to check whether the Virtus would be a better buy over the Taigun.
Tanu3000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 12:47   #213
Senior - BHPian

This is a good car but certainly nowhere near the Jetta.

People said the same about the Slavia cannibalizing the Octavia but after the reveal, it's pretty clear that while it may be almost as big, the Octy is miles ahead in terms of quality and engineering. It'll be the same with the Virtus and Jetta.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 12:50   #214
BHPian

I was looking to prebook Virtus from the website but don't see an option to select 1.5 TSI manual, only 1.5 TSI with DSG is available to book. I hope this is a glitch as we have a 1.5 manual in the Slavia.

In the brochure as well they have mentioned 'mated to either a 6-speed manual transmission or a 7-speed DSG transmission'.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 13:15   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This is a good car but certainly nowhere near the Jetta.

People said the same about the Slavia cannibalizing the Octavia but after the reveal, it's pretty clear that while it may be almost as big, the Octy is miles ahead in terms of quality and engineering. It'll be the same with the Virtus and Jetta.
I really second this. The build quality and heft of the Jetta and Octavia are leagues ahead. 4 years ago you got a few lesser features for a substantially better built car. The novelty of these features will soon wear off but the solidity will stay over the years.

But again this will only be noticed by people who have owned/used the Octavia/Superb and Jetta/Passat over the years.

Many people are saying that the build of the new sedans is even poorer than the Vento/Rapid which were themselves a step down from the Jetta/Octavia. But to keep the price below 20 L OTR and include so many features the indianised MQB has given way to the biggest USP and one of the core values of VW group which was the tank like build.

Sure is a looker though
sauravpat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 13:27   #216

Loved the VIRTUS in carbon steel grey 😍, looks badass and is better looking than the slavia imho.
Old 9th March 2022, 13:57   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post

Now they have started playing with rhyming names like Taigun, Tiguan, Taigo, T-Roc, T-Cross. so on and so forth.. They themselves make mistakes in advertisement materials Taigun for Tiguan and vice versa. Imagination is thoroughly lacking in these fronts.
Im surprised they havent named one of the models the: VW T-Boned
skb1811 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 14:12   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Dare I say I am bored of VW designs and so called "German" touch. Since last 11 years I am seeing VW designs. Polo, Vento, Ameo, Jetta, Passat, T-Roc, Tiguan, Taigun and now this Virtus.

Though they are not of everyone's taste but, they do try. VW's 2022 product looks almost same as their 2011 Vento. And people lap it up in the name of "German" designs
Just straight lines here and there.
And I am for one glad that they are not playing much with the designs and keeping it with straight lines. And that makes the design classy and good for me.

A Jetta still looks much better than any cars plying on our roads now. A simple mods, including bigger alloys it’s a killer. Where as it’s competition then, Elantra (new and fluidic), Corolla etc. looks no where close.

Different tastes :-)

Last edited by sunikkat : 9th March 2022 at 14:17.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 14:31   #219
BHPian

VW designs age well. This one, especially the aggressive looking front bumper in my view is quite a departure from sedate design language of VW. Love it for sure. Need to experience space though.
Bsreecharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 14:43   #220
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus EDIT: Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVardhan View Post
What a smart looking car Volkswagen has made. I just can't take my eyes off it. I don't know why but this German car reminds me of the American dodge charger.

The lights…
Can’t agree more!!
Thought it’s just me who thinks like this!

This VW looks sizzling hot, especially in the GT version with the blacked out elements and is far better looking when compared with it’s sibling. (subjective)
But the interiors are just too funky and loud for my liking and this is where the Slavia has a clear advantage. I might just choose the Škoda over the Virtus for this very reason (okay also maybe because I’m a Škoda fanboy).

Also, does the Virtus have the same GC as the Slavia?
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 15:10   #221
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Virtus imagined with a lowered suspension and different alloy wheel designs.

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220309_150808.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220309_150820.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220309_150834.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20220309_150754.jpg

Source : MotorBeam
Venkatesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 16:27   #222
BHPian

It's amazing what difference the subtle tweaks, a little increase in length, smoked lamps, spoiler, etc can bring to the profile of Virtus vs. the Slavia. While the latter was a decent looker, to my eyes it always felt like something is off in side profile. Virtus fixes that and how.

It has certainly opened up a solid option for a everyday enjoyable car without breaking the bank. I was contemplating an upgrade and actually went to higher budgets too to include Octavia, Tiguan, A4 and even 3 series. There's a good amount of solidity, luxury I could feel in those cars. But when I thought about everyday enjoyability, they did not feel much of an upgrade - and I am just talking from driving enjoyment. The leather, tech, sunroof don't matter to me. Add to that the general higher upkeep cost.

With Virtus, the amount we save can be used to wring out the car, pay for couple of DSG replacements in future, maybe add Bilsteins, custom alloys and sticky rubber, tune the engine in future, etc. In the end it can provide a more involving experience than the more expensive Germans where one is forced to be more careful given the costs,etc involved and eventually does not drive in the zone of enjoyment for 99% of the time. Only thing missing (going by Slavia's reviews) is the global level of VW solidity in these cars and also the cost cutting.
vivekz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 16:37   #223
BHPian

I can't stop drooling over Virtus looking so dope.

This is by far the best looking sportiest car under 28 lacs. Exterior and interior look significantly more attractive than the Slavia. If the brake calipers do come in the production model, it'll be a highlight not seen in even in pricier cars.

I'm already dreaming about buying this used for 7-8 lacs 4-5 yrs down the line
Old 9th March 2022, 17:07   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
Many people are saying that the build of the new sedans is even poorer than the Vento/Rapid which were themselves a step down from the Jetta/Octavia.
Well I would completely disagree. When I was shopping around for a sedan and zeroed in on a Vento in 2013, I had combed through Jetta's, Octavia's and Laura's available then. In terms of exterior built quality and interior finishing, all were at par. The difference lay in the materials used, but each of them would have been a solid pick.

I agree with you that Skoda/VW groups seems to have dropped the ball in the name of localisation from last year to keep up with competition, which is a poor benchmark itself.

My 2013 Vento still feels very well put together and I think that would remain true for all Vento variants. Cant say the same for the newer models though.

Last edited by click : 9th March 2022 at 17:09. Reason: spelling
click is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 17:07   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
It's amazing what difference the subtle tweaks, a little increase in length, smoked lamps, spoiler, etc can bring to the profile of Virtus vs. the Slavia. While the latter was a decent looker, to my eyes it always felt like something is off in side profile. Virtus fixes that and how.

It has certainly opened up a solid option for a everyday enjoyable car without breaking the bank. I was contemplating an upgrade and actually went to higher budgets too to include Octavia, Tiguan, A4 and even 3 series. There's a good amount of solidity, luxury I could feel in those cars. But when I thought about everyday enjoyability, they did not feel much of an upgrade - and I am just talking from driving enjoyment. The leather, tech, sunroof don't matter to me. Add to that the general higher upkeep cost.
Agreed! If it's available with a manual 1.5TSI, this could be the last 'hurrah' of ICE engines for many, I don't know yet how the VW-SKODA2.0 products are in terms of quality yet, but if the quality feels like that of the 1st-gen Creta, I'd think this is THE SEDAN. Slavia just doesn't look the part.

And when roads will crawl with EV's,
maybe a Red/White Virtus with a bigger & sportier spoiler and a decent exhaust would shock everyone's ears!

I applaud VW in the looks department, looks like a tad-short Jetta that was on sale in India
KI07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks