Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you care if your cars platform is old or new?
Yes 103 24.12%
No 324 75.88%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 12:08   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: New car, but old platform : Does it really matter?

Why fix what is not broken? If the platform is competent, there is no reason to replace it. I will prefer a new platform only if it is a better engineered one and not just because it is new. And most new platforms aren't all new but heavily reworked ones.
Old 27th December 2020, 12:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
And cars that are being built on old platform somehow manage to skimp on features. If I am looking for a car on old platform I would prefer the “older” model as well simply because they would be more robust.

I truly wish to see some new platform being developed.
The platform may put (some) limitations on the handling and road behaviour of the car. It will govern the rigidity and the load carrying capacity of the car.

But the platform won't put any restrictions on the features that could be provided.
Old 27th December 2020, 15:40   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No.

Because I drive a 2018 car with a 18 year old platform (Safari Storme) and if I had to buy a new car now, I would still go for the 10 year old polo's platform (Rapid).
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:04   #49
BHPian

Have voted NO. For me, it doesn't matter whether the platform is old or new. As long as it meets my requirements of safety, ergonomics and performance, I wouldn't bother. My Rapid in spite of being based on a decade old platform still makes me smile when I take her out on highways.

On the contrary, I would like to hear from our members which cars/models have actually gotten better in their new iterations based out of new platforms. The latest gen Honda City? Toyota Innova? Anything else?
Old 27th December 2020, 20:57   #50
BHPian

Voted yes. Just because if there is a new better platform and room for improvement why to stick with the old platform. If the new platform is properly tested and proven then why not.
The common observation that new generation of cars are less sturdy is not due to platform but due to cost cutting measures. Don't think that issue is due to new platform.
If I have an option of selecting cars - one using old and other with new platform, I would definitely select the newer one.
Old 27th December 2020, 23:20   #51
BHPian

I voted No coz it doesn't matter if the car is I will pick regardless of platform. I have never bought a car based on platform.
Old 28th December 2020, 09:14   #52
BHPian

Voted No. Most "new programs" in engineering begin with the existing product. A platform is likely to be created anew to suit multiple programs - be it multiple car models or a single model over multiple generations. If not, the development time and consequently the price will go up.
Old 28th December 2020, 13:53   #53
BHPian

When I went to TD the new Crysta, all I wanted to know was whether this will be as reliable as our old one and run for 200,000 Kms. It has now and I couldn't be more satisfied with the purchase.

I would have probably had some anxiety if it had been an all new platform.
Old 28th December 2020, 17:09   #54
BHPian

Voted No!

I have extensively driven the Laura (Type-2/Octavia mk2 FL) TSI and Octavia (mk3) 1.8 TSI, almost back to back. The steering feel and feedback and suspension setup is clearly distinguishable and the older platform edges ahead. On the highways, high speed cornering and direction changes are handled much better by a Laura/Jetta when compared to a modern MQB Octavia.
Old 5th January 2021, 16:16   #55
BHPian

Voted NO.

I does not matter to me if the platform is a proven one.
Old 19th April 2021, 11:11   #56
BHPian

Voted Yes

Reason being am a customer of cheap cars. These cheap cars have traditionally been coffins on the road and it is off late that there is this hue and cry on safety even at entry level.
So my assumption would be the newer platforms have undergone more R&D and are safer(though lighter) and would also be better in terms of handling,fuel efficiency etc compared to the previous generations.

Last edited by saion666 : 19th April 2021 at 11:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks