Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2021, 02:41   #61
BHPian

Re: Remembering the Maruti 800 on its 37th anniversary

This thread brought back so many old memories.

Our first car was a used M800 1985 model which we bought in 1994. After a month of the purchase, my dad was involved in an accident when a truck rear ended the car at a red light and the car was sandwiched between the truck and a Padmini which was right in front of it. However, the car was still in driving condition and my dad drove home with it inspite of the heavy damage. After the repairs it did not give us any major problems and we used to drive from Delhi to Chandigarh to meet my grandparents every 3-4 months. Maybe today's Maruti vehicles would not be as sturdy as that old 'khatara'.

By 1999 we had 2 more cars with us but we kept the old m800 as well so that I could learn to drive on it. Finally we sold off the car in 2000 for 16000 bucks.

To think that Maruti had initially shortlisted Daihatsu instead of Suzuki to partner with it.
devilking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 20:31   #62
BANNED

Hello all. Hello moderators and administrators.
Please remove this post if irrelevant.
I'm in need of a daihatsu 1.0 turbo diesel engine for my M800.

Ive a M800 86 model and trying my best to keep it alive. I currently have a non turbo engine with one failed cylinder.
Hence decided to get a turbo one. Any help or leads would be appreciated. Thanks
And congrats to all M800 owners for making it in 2021.
Old 6th October 2022, 17:40   #63

Selling our 1999 maruti 800.

hello everyone, its been a really long time since i have last posted.

As most of you, who have seen my last post know that my dad had a pristine 1999 maruti 800. We have had that car with us for over 23 years. Sadly early this year we had to sell the car .

We had been living in Shillong for over 12 years now, and it seemed like the perfect place for us. The weather was perfect, the people were great, there was a certain clam and quietness in the place. But in 2020, my dad retired and we had planned to move to our hometown in Lucknow that year itself, but then covid happened , and we were happily stuck in shillong.
We stayed in shillong for another year or so, before be eventually decided to move to Lucknow.

When the thought of moving came to our mind , the only problem that remained was that we could not take the car with us. there were many reasons which contributed to it.

The hardest part for my dad was to let go of the car. He always told us that , he had treated and raised this car like he would raise a child and this car had reciprocated the same. It never gave us any trouble, took us to the remotest part of India, and was still going strong. It was indeed very sad to let go of such a perfect car, one that had given us so many memories over the years.

Please note that unlike other parts in India where maruti 800 is not in demand, In shillong its quite the opposite. Maruti 800 has always seen a good and healthy demand. Even the last Maurti 800 that was rolled off the factory floor was headed to Shillong. This is the reason why we had decided not to put the car advertisement on any social media platform or any other platform. We only shared some pictures of the car with some close people and almost all of them interested in the car.

One of my college teacher wanted to have a look at the car as she was considering buying it for her sister. They asked us to bring it to the Maruti workshop where the car went through a through inspection. The people at the shop were also quite impressed with the car , as even after so many years, the engine was working properly, the pick up of the car was quite strong and There was no sign of rust on the body panels. They came back to us, and gave us a price for the car. My dad agreed to the price without even negotiating. He said that the priority for him was that the car should get a good home.

We actually had not thought that the car would be gone so soon, we thought that the car would be with us for a few more days, but when we took the car to the showroom that day and things happened so fast and in no time the car was gone. End of the day we were both sad and happy. Sad to let such a wonderful car go and happy that she had found a good home, where she would be taken care of in a way that we had taken care.

In all the whole experience that we had with the car was just wonderful. In the 23 years of the car with us , we never had 1 breakdown of the car, the engine was never repaired for anything, the body panels were all original, the paint was all original, only a few parts were changed / replaced over time.

Since we have shifted to Lucknow we have been nagging dad to get another car for himself but he said that the he prefers to travel like a king now as cab operators like Ola / uber are available at a click away.
Attached Thumbnails
Remembering the Maruti 800 on its 37th anniversary-whatsapp-image-20221006-2.26.50-pm.jpeg  

Remembering the Maruti 800 on its 37th anniversary-whatsapp-image-20221006-2.26.48-pm.jpeg  

Remembering the Maruti 800 on its 37th anniversary-whatsapp-image-20221006-2.26.49-pm.jpeg  

Remembering the Maruti 800 on its 37th anniversary-picture1..jpg  

Remembering the Maruti 800 on its 37th anniversary-picture4.jpg  

Pulkit99 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 08:07   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: Selling our 1999 maruti 800.

The best way for such a well maintained car is to find it a new home where it would be utilised the best, like in your case.

A friend had to scrap his 24 year old M800 due to the registration renewal being too costly an affair and hence selling wasn't an option although people were very interested in purchasing the car.
Saw the pics of the scrapping and was heartbreaking to see the almost new engine components.
You guys made the right call and in time

Although not asked but on a side note the Ignis is a good upgrade to the M800 or the Brezza for a changeover to city+highway roles in the MSIL stable as of now.

Echo your Dad's intent on his "king" approach. Folks in my family have echoed the same sentiment post retirement partly aided by the ever increasing traffic chaos.
In all likelihood the current cars we have will live their maximum legal life and will be the last cars we own.

Last edited by shancz : 7th October 2022 at 08:10. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 11:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkit99 View Post
hello everyone, its been a really long time since i have last posted.

As most of you, who have seen my last post know that my dad had a pristine 1999 maruti 800. We have had that car with us for over 23 years. Sadly early this year we had to sell the car .
Thanks for sharing your memories : )
I too sometimes miss our old Maruti 800. Picture taken on the last day before selling it off.

Remembering the Maruti 800 on its 37th anniversary-old-800.jpg

We had it for 19 years. It was with me from my childhood School years all the way to my mid 20's.
I still think about it sometimes...

Also, I really do miss how small the old 'choti gaadi' were, today's 'small' cars or hatcbacks as we call them now are so bulbous and large in size to the point where I wonder if some of them still fall in the small car category.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 11:48   #66
BHPian

Sad to see you car go, but also glad that it is with someone who would take care of it just as much. Also, welcome to 'Nawabon ka Sheher' I am currently in Bangalore but will be coming to Lucknow in Dec. Let's meet then and have delicious Kabab's at the famous Tunday Kababi.
pritanshchandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 14:30   #67

these so called "choti gaadi" were not small by any margin. i feel like the new cars although bigger in size always feel small and less spacious than these evergreen cars.

remember the bench seats of ambassador, they were more like a comfy home sofa.

I remember how we used to squeeze 5 adults and 3 kids in the small and nimble Maruti 800 and were not at all cramped in anyway.
Pulkit99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 23:11   #68
BHPian

My father had purchased a Maruti 800 Std Non-AC for Rs 76,000 and it was delivered in January 1987. It was basically a CKD because all the parts were MADE IN JAPAN. We had it till December 2004. After that my uncle took it to back Orissa and i have never seen it ever again. We still have the spare key with us even after 18 years of it leaving. Idkw but Maruti 800 was, is and will always remain my favourite car. I miss it's engine sound so much.

Attaching some photos.

The first pic is from February 1987, my father holding my older sister.
The second pic is from 2007. Exactly 20 years later
Attached Images

Old 11th October 2022, 08:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalactone View Post

The first pic is from February 1987, ...
The second pic is from 2007. Exactly 20 years later
The car looks ageless in 20 years. Notice how the number plate changed from white font to black font with white background

Brings back fond memories of our white 800 which we had for 20 years from 1991 to 2010.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks