Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What engine would you prefer in a German car?
Turbo-Diesel 186 54.55%
Turbo-Petrol 155 45.45%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 11:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

German Luxury Cars : Turbo-Diesel vs Turbo-Petrol

When it comes to German cars, we have traditionally preferred the turbo-diesels. There are good reasons for that. The monstrous torque is addictive and the diesels are generally more robust + reliable than their petrol counterparts. Besides, they run on regular diesel just fine (unlike a few performance petrols which need high octane fuel) and their superior fuel efficiency (30 - 100% higher) results in a longer highway tank range. Finally, when it comes to selling the car, it is generally easier to sell a diesel than a petrol version of high-end cars. Put that down to the FE-obsession which is part of every Indian's DNA.

Now though, times have changed. Companies like Audi, BMW and Mercedes are offering fantastic, exciting turbo-petrol engines (related thread). Naturally-aspirated petrols have all but disappeared from luxury cars.

Let's have a look at the BMW 530i and 530d. BMW is offering the 530i which comes with a 2.0L, 4-cylinder turbo-petrol that puts out 249 BHP and 350 Nm. It can do the 0-100 km/h sprint in 6.1 seconds. On the other hand, the 530d is powered by a 3.0L, 6-cylinder turbo-diesel that develops 262 BHP and 620 Nm. It can go from 0-100 km/h in 5.7 seconds. This looks like a walkover for the turbo-diesel. However, the petrol is not slow by any means and when you consider the price, it makes it a tempting option. The 530i M-Sport costs Rs. 60.90 lakhs - a good Rs. 7.50 lakhs lesser than the 530d M-Sport. You can save a lot more if you opt for the 530i Sport which costs Rs. 55.40 lakhs (6-cylinder diesel isn't sold in the lesser variant).

Staying with BMW, lower in the line-up are the 330i and 320d. The 330i is powered by a 2.0L, 4-cylinder turbo-petrol that puts out 254 BHP and 400 Nm. It can go from 0-100 km/h in 5.8 seconds. The 320d is powered by a 2.0L, 4-cylinder turbo-diesel that makes 187 BHP and 400 Nm. It can sprint from 0-100 km/h in 6.8 seconds. This makes the turbo-petrol a quicker car than the diesel! The price makes it an even sweeter option. The 330i Sport costs Rs. 42.90 lakhs, which is Rs. 50,000 lesser than the 320d Sport. It is only the 330i M-Sport that, at Rs. 49.30 lakhs, is Rs. 1 lakh more expensive than the 320d Luxury Line.

Coming to Mercedes-Benz, the company is offering the C200 and C200d. Both cars some with 2.0L, 4-cylinder engines. The petrol in the C200 puts out 200 BHP, while that in the diesel develops 191 BHP. With a 0-100 km/h time of 6.9 seconds, the diesel is 0.8 seconds quicker than the petrol. At an ex-showroom price of Rs. 41.31 lakhs, the petrol is over 2 lakhs cheaper than the turbo-diesel which is priced at Rs. 43.38 lakhs.

If you like the Audis, your choice is simple as the brand only offers turbo-petrols now. The VW Group still hasn't made its diesels BS6-compliant.

The turbo-petrol engine has quite a few advantages over the diesel. To start with, a turbo-petrol revvs higher, which makes it more delightful to drive. The sheer pleasure of taking an engine to 6,500 - 7,000 rpm is something that diesel-heads can only dream about. The refinement is way superior too with lesser engine noise & vibrations coming into the cabin. Even when you can hear the turbo-petrol engine inside the cabin, it is almost certainly going to be better sounding than the diesel. Besides these points, with 10-year old diesels being outlawed in certain parts of the country (Delhi-NCR), the turbo-petrol might be the only logical option for you if you hold onto your cars for long, as a majority of BHPians do.

At the same time, the turbo-petrol has its disadvantages compared to the turbo-diesel. The fuel efficiency is lesser than that of the diesel and due to that, we are willing to bet that the resale value will be lower. When travelling out of the big cities, the quality of diesel available at pumps might be better than that of petrol. Those of you who prefer a 6-cylinder engine, a diesel is the only option for you.

German Luxury Cars : Turbo-Diesel vs Turbo-Petrol-badge.jpg

German Luxury Cars : Turbo-Diesel vs Turbo-Petrol-engine.jpg
Aditya is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 14:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: German Luxury Cars : Turbo-Diesel vs Turbo-Petrol

Voted for Turbo-Diesel for the simple reason that we tour a lot and 6-cylinder diesels offer you 300 BHP, along with 12 - 15 kmpl on the road to Goa. In the uber luxury cars, I'm a big fan of additional cylinders for their creamy power delivery. No 4-cylinders for me in the expensive classes.

Even on something like the S-Class, I think I might pick the S350d over the S450 / S500 / S560. Reason = on our family road-trips, an S500's 2 - 3 kmpl would make long drives tricky.

Would be tough with the 3-Series though. That 330i M-Sport is a phenomenal machine. Turbo-Petrols are definitely going to make more headway in the market and are so much better than naturally-aspired petrols IMHO. I think it was androdev who commented on another thread that the 530d's reputation became legendary only because its alternative was an n/a petrol. It probably wouldn't have risen so much if it had the 530i turbo-petrol next to it back then.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2020 at 14:31.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 14:36   #3
anb
BHPian

I prefer 330i over 320d and 530d over 530i. So if the engine size remains the same , I prefer petrol over diesel.

Last edited by anb : 14th December 2020 at 14:37.
anb is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 14:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If the choice is between petrol and Diesel engines of similar size and cylinders, I’ll be more inclined towards petrols. Case to point the 330i vs 320d where my pick will be the 330i. More power, same torque, more refined. Resale value be damned.

However if the diesel is a 6 cylinder motor, it will always be the first pick. I have experience with the A6 3.0 TDI. The experience of cruising on the highway in a premium sedan with a big V6 diesel can not be matched by a 4 cylinder petrol. Anyone who has driven will agree.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th December 2020 at 14:57.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 15:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the turbo-petrol. When I bought my 330i Sport in June, I did not even bother to check the 320D. After 4 lovely years with the 1.8 TSI Octavia, I wasn't going to touch diesels with a bargepole!

Needless to say, I'm not a mileage conscious person at all. I drive daily to work (or used to), and do highway drives (mostly NH) maybe once a quarter. With petrol pumps mushrooming everywhere, quality petrol is always available with some planning.

For some context, my ~5,000 km has come at a long-term average of 10.5 km/lt. I like spirited driving too + my residence is near BLR airport so that undoubtedly helps :-).

However, when it comes to 6 cylinders I feel that the 330D would be very difficult to ignore in favour of the M340i.

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th December 2020 at 15:31.
itwasntme is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 15:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I own a Turbo Diesel (X3 20d) but would have bought the turbo petrol if it were available at the same or similar price. Back in the day (December 2016), the X3 was available only as a Turbo Diesel - the X3 28i was launched on the day I finalised my booking for the 20d, and the discounts I got were not available on the Petrol.

I also evaluated the GLC back then, and would likely have picked the GLC300 over the GLC220d.

Why? At the end of the day, Diesel engines do not deliver the same refinement that Petrols do. Further in the BS6 world, for folks with a predominantly urban driving cycle, the risk of choked DPFs in diesels is not worth taking. And given I hold cars for 7-8 years, resale value is not top of mind in factors I consider while buying a car.
Hayek is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 15:50   #7
BHPian

If engine <2L petrol but >2L diesel.

The reason is simple the small Audi engines in diesel make so much noise and are not much say of refinement at all. In my 1300km drive of the Q3 2.0L it sounded as boomy as a Compass. Where as the older 5GT 530D with the bigger engine was boom free and with better NVH.
ajaiD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:31   #8
BHPian

The popular sentiment here seems to be that with same size and number of cylinders, it is a turbo petrol but between a 6 cylinder diesel and a 4 cylinder petrol, it is always the former. My opinion is precisely the same. The premium diesel mills have, gotten so much refined and better overall.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:16   #9
BANNED

Voted for Turbo Diesel.

It is fascinating how one German car can change my perspective about cars. That one car is the BMW 530d, It is easily the better one to drive if compared to the 530i. Audi's puny 1.4 litre TFSI petrol is no way near the far better TDI 2.0.
I would pick more torque over more horsepower any day. Talking about the smaller 3 series, I would prefer the petrol because it has superior Power figures whereas the torque remains the same in the 330i and 320d.

Talking about Mercedes -
Diesels are a lot better IMO. Of course when considering AMGs, there is no competition. But I am talking about everyday engines like the 200 and 220d. Both have identical power figures but it is definitely the diesel that feels involving to drive.

Audi -
1.4 TFSI says it all. However, things can get a lot better if Audi introduces a better engine with the upcoming A4 facelift.

P.S. - I know that revving a turbo petrol is way more fun than a diesel, but I am more of a diesel head and torque for me is more important.

Thanks.
Tachyonites is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:39   #10
BHPian

Well OP wasn’t exactly being fair while comparing 530i and 530d in the beginning, was he? One has 1000ccs more and two extra cylinders and yet the smaller handicapped petrol 530i is still competent enough for a comparison. That says it all for this poll. Voted turbo petrol.
nakul0888 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:55   #11
BHPian

Heart says Turbo Petrol and Mind says Turbo diesel when both have same performance

Biggest point for decision: Clattery Diesel with high FE / Smooth Petrol with Low FE

At the end, need to compromise either one or the other.
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s another one of the interesting and ever lasting car debates.

I will say this though; there is a huge cultural aspect to diesel over petrol. In many western countries you can not consider yourself a petrol head if you like diesel engines!

Diesel, the general opinion has been, for decades, are for propelling agricultural appliances. And let's face it; Up till a decade ago your typical Ford sedan diesel would sound like a tractor too.

I would be the first to admit that modern diesels have come a very long way indeed. But I will go for a petrol engine anytime, always!

Nobody in Europe drives a diesel because of choice. It is usually by necessity. Diesel, when doing a lot of mileage, are simply financially more attractive. The point at which a diesel becomes more attractive has been creeping upwards steadily though.

Ten years ago, our company car policy dictated if you did more than 20.000 km per year, whichever company car you choose, it had to be a diesel. Show me a person driving a diesel car in Europe and I will show you someone driving a company car.

These days it is more around 30.000 km a year.

But no matter what;

The diesel engine here in Europe is effectively dead, perhaps just not buried yet. Current emission Legislation and legislation to come are all aimed at pushing diesel engines out of cars. Here in the Netherlands you will find yourself unable to enter a number of our cities when driving a diesel older than 5-6 years. The internal combustion car is being phased out, the diesel is the first variant that is all but gone yet.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:20   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

As a confirmed petrol head I voted for a petrol as always. Though I'd tip my hat in a salute to the big diesel engines for e.g. the 530D. I like petrol engines for their refinement and their high revving nature. I have had my eyes on the 330i for ages, hope that dream comes true some day.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Depending on the variant in question, the heart & the head actually prefers the turbo petrol keeping in mind lack of DPF, and easier to live with nature.

While 530i vs 530d, the 530d is nicer to drive definitely but at a premium. If BMW were to launch the 540i and price it similar to the 530d, I'm sure many would pick the 540i.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:01   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Even on something like the S-Class, I think I might pick the S350d over the S450 / S500 / S560. Reason = on our family road-trips, an S500's 2 - 3 kmpl would make long drives tricky.
This was the case way back, but today's modern high capacity turbo petrol engines like the S500 you mentioned can easily give 6-7 kmpl even with a slightly heavy foot. All this is thanks to technological advances like cylinder deactivation, coasting, auto start-stop, mild hybrid, etc.

That said if long roadtrips are a regular affair, then a diesel would be definitely better but nothing can beat the flagship turbo petrols of the luxury cars in terms of fun, however thirsty or expensive they might be.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2020 at 19:05. Reason: Fixing quote
Lowflyer23 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks