Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 17:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mahindra Alturas G4 might be discontinued in 2021

Rumour: Mahindra Alturas G4 might be discontinued in 2021

It could be the end of the road for the Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. We have been told that the SUV is likely to be discontinued due to the split between Mahindra and Mahindra and Ssangyong.

Rumour: Mahindra Alturas G4 might be discontinued in 2021-big01.jpg

Mahindra is said to have components and other material to build 500 units of the Alturas G4, beyond which the assembly will stop.

The Alturas G4 is assembled in India using completely knocked down kits (CKD). In mid-2019, production of the Alturas G4 was shifted to a new assembly plant at Chakan.

Rumour: Mahindra Alturas G4 might be discontinued in 2021-smartselect_20200706220309_chrome.jpg

In April this year, Mahindra launched the BS6-compliant Alturas G4. The SUV is powered by a BS6-compliant 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 178 BHP and 420 Nm. It is paired with a Mercedes-Benz sourced 7-speed automatic gearbox and a four-wheel-drive system.

Thanks to Siddharth for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Alturas G4 BS6 priced from Rs. 28.69 lakh

Logically, that spells the end for the brilliant 5 Star safe XUV 3OO too?
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Not at all. The Alturas is a Rebadged Ssangyong with a lot of imported content and just assembled in India as CKD. They basically get kits from Korea and assemble it here.

The XUV300 is based on the Tivoli but is fully manufactured in India including powertrains from Mahindra. There's hardly any korean dependency on the XUV300 other than the platform being based on Tivoli.

With the separation the Alturas will obviously go away but the bigger issue is the small number of buyers who got one. What do they for parts and service now that Mahindra is not associated with Ssangyong anymore.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th December 2020 at 11:35.
Vid6639 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Probably not. The Alturas G4, if I'm not wrong, is a CKD, and the number of kits available therefore limits production.

On the other hand, the XUV 300 is built entirely in India (with components made largely in India) with some commonalities with the original SsangYong Tivoli.
TejasKinger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 20:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not at all. The Alturas is a Rebadged Ssangyong with a lot of imported content and just assembled in India as CKD. They basically get kits from Korea and assemble it here.

The XUV300 is based on the Tivoli but is fully manufactured in India including powertrains from Mahindra. There hardly any korean dependency on the XUV300 other than the platform being based on Tivoli.

With the separation the Alturas will obviously go away but the bigger issue is the small number of buyers who got one. What do they for parts and service now that Mahindra is not associated with Ssangyong anymore.
This will severely dent the resale value of this SUV. It is a good SUV and I anticipate to see plenty of these well below 20 lacs. I am sure most of the owners are still the original buyers, now having to deal with the shock of the sudden headache of parts and resale. The TBHP classifieds doesn't even yet have the Alturas as a selectable option under Mahindra!

As for the XUV 3OO, I just felt for a moment that the companies separating would mean they (the Koreans) take with them their product, technology and all that is their intellectual property. Well, the next-gen XUV 3OO will surely be either pure Mahindra or the love child out of the new marriage with Ford.
lemedico is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
What do they for parts and service now that Mahindra is not associated with Ssangyong anymore.
I think Mahindra will stockpile a bunch of spare parts for future needs and once that stock runs out they will start importing them Ssangyong on a case by case basis. Either way it's going to be a colossal mess for existing users. I think the bigger issue is the re-sale value. It wasn't very good to begin with but now it'll tank to dismal levels. I had almost bought one last year when they came up with the whole lease scheme for the Alturas. Seemed wonky at the time.

I know its business and things can go south at anytime but these situations are uncalled for especially when you're a local OEM wanting to move up the ranks and compete with the big boys in the premium segment. Or then maybe Mahindra has thrown in the towel on that price segment and is content selling Thars and XUV 500s. Almost like they bit off more than they could chew.
yd_gli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 22:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering the SUV market is booming, I doubt if they would exit the segment. Perhaps a facelift is on the way, I hope they fix the third row seating, that's the only negative as far as I could gather.
Old 8th December 2020, 23:35   #8
BHPian

What about the upcoming models of Mahindra? Even the next gen XUV 500 is based on one of the SUVs from the Ssangyong portfolio.
Old 8th December 2020, 23:55   #9

Finally, Mahindra's attempt at a premium SUV comes to an uneventful end. Truly quite sad that the Indian market did not respond well to this considering that it is a genuinely great product, and priced decently as well (when compared to its competitors). I do hope Mahindra sorts out after sales support for people who have one, and they are not left stranded!

While this is quite expected, I do hope Mahindra delivers good products in the lower price points, seeing that they completely failed in this segment (twice, mind you - including the first Rexton).
PontiacBandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:10   #10
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mahindra Alturas G4 might be discontinued in 2021

Sad end to a nice car. Seems Mahindra has issues with partners first Renault and now Ssangyong. Hope Ford does not meet similar fate.
sunny29584 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Considering the SUV market is booming, I doubt if they would exit the segment. Perhaps a facelift is on the way, I hope they fix the third row seating, that's the only negative as far as I could gather.
Mahindra and Ssangyong are splitting apart, the Alturas is a CKD. Mahindra can't build a similar vehicle within a short period especially when the attention is more towards the next gen Scorpio and XUV 500. I believe you misunderstood the opening post for a model change, the case is that the brand Alturas itself will be permanently discontinued.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:30   #12
BHPian

This is a sad news, though it wasn't a great seller, it was a nice VFM premium SUV.

Hope they stock up enough spare parts to meet the future requirements of current owners.

Moreover I think this generation of Rexton was a trouble free car to own compared to the previous Rexton which M&M brought to India. Never heard any complaints on Alturas G4 whereas with the old M&M Rexton there were many reliability issues.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 13:56   #13
BHPian

Makes me wonder whether the XUV5OO will now move up the ladder and be priced between Harrier/Gravitas and Compass rather than currently competing in between Creta and Harrier.

The engines are already expected to be a significant upgrade and recent reports suggest Level 1 autonomous tech as well.

I am in the market ( 2022/2023) for a seven seater <25L, I hope the top end doesnt go beyond that.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think the next gen Scorpio can take the place of Alturas. XUV500 can stay as a soft roader and compete with Creta, Harrier, Gravitas , Compass etc.

After being a cash cow model for 20 years, Scorpio deserves a promotion to the next segment. It has the brand recall, proper 4x4 hardware and the ladder frame chasis to compete with the big SUVs. With Mahindra's focus on safety lately, I am sure next gen Scorpio will come with a lot of airbags and safety tech. The five seater Thar can take the place of existing Scorpio in the portfolio.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, I am one of those "blessed" buyers. I guess my buyback agreement with Mahindra after 4 years should take care of the resale value. Also I am expecting my 4 year AMC package to come in handy for parts and service. Rest I leave it to destiny. Feels sad for a luxurious SUV.

A minor update. I just spoke to my SA at Anant Cars. He confirmed the rumors. He also said that since the Alturas is sold as a Mahindra Automotive Product, as is the regulatory norm in India, Mahindra will continue to support existing Alturas owners/buyers with parts and service for the next 15 years.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 10th December 2020 at 13:30.
Pkumarblore is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks