Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Family look in cars from the same brand?
I'm okay with it 172 57.14%
Not a big fan of it 129 42.86%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 09:10   #1
BHPian

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand

For long time companies have been maintaining their identity through their design language/exterior outline/grill shapes/emblems etc. There are unmistakable clues in the exteriors to link car with OEM.

In some cases, the design in silhouette was maintained for so long, that an untrained eye can't even distinguish two different models : best example being Porsche 911s. Jeremy Clarkson made a lot of fun of them, saying, "they saved a lot on design as they didn't do any"

Although 911 is understandable, as it's still same car, maturing through generations. But nowadays we see so many cars from same OEMs having same design for range of cars. And it's not like we see a Compact Sedan based on Hatch and hence it's similar looking.

I can give a lot of examples of such cars, but following are representative pics:
Mercedes S500
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-s500.jpg

Mercedes E200
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-w213mercedesbenze200sportstyleavantgarde41200x630.jpg

Mercedes C200
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-maxresdefault.jpg

Above 3 belong to completely different segments/price brackets. Yet I can't distinguish them on the run.

In my opinion, such designs devalue the premium car. I mean, I have few crore rupee worth S class, yet it looks no different to half crore priced C class.

What is BHPian's opinion on this?
akshye is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

I have to say that the family look can get boring. However, if the cars are good looking, I do not mind it. I'd rather have a Merc that looks like a Merc than anything else. All of them look pretty good.

In fact, most manufacturers seem to be following this trend.

Look at Jaguar as an example. All share the same front end.

F-Pace
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-fpace.jpg

XE
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-xe.jpg

XF
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-xf.jpg

XJ
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-xj.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 14th December 2020 at 23:04.
Aditya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:16   #3
BHPian

Not a big fan of similar styling on all cars of the same manufacturer. I'll honestly admit that I sometimes get confused between the C200d and the E220d. An S-class owner would be mortified, if someone called his beast by the name of a car costing 1/3rd. The distinction is necessary, because it's not always easy to comprehend the dimensions (especially in the dark).

Also I feel the design language of Mercedes Benz and Audi has been the most streamlined, for it's easier to distinguish between the BMW's/JAG's from their rear end.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 14th December 2020 at 11:19.
Abhi5868 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Having a design language across a range of cars is understandable. But please don't make cars from different segments look similar. It will not only make the product range bit boring, it will also create a minus point for the higher segment car.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:26   #5
BHPian

I think you’re talking about what most car makers call a ‘design language’ - that’s the main design that all cars in the lineup follow, so they look similar.

I love the idea of a common design language and think it’s better than having each car in the lineup look different. It also makes their cars recognisable. No car maker does this as well as Porsche in my opinion

Cayenne -
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-img_2970.jpg

Panamera -
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-img_2967.jpg

Cayman -
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-img_2971.jpg

918 Spyder -
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-img_2969.jpg

Macan -
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-img_2972.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th December 2020 at 21:30. Reason: Typo corrected. Thanks
Darkviper is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

I mostly don't care, except in situations like this: Why Hyundai? Why?

All SUVs (or crossovers) with the garish grilles & ugly split headlamp clusters.

Venue:
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-venue.jpg

Creta:
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-hyundaicretarightfrontthreequarter9.jpeg

Tucson:
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-tucson.jpg

Santa Fe:
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-santa-fe.jpg

Palisade:
"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-plaisade.jpeg

(All images obtained via google search. Credits to the respective owners)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 14th December 2020 at 11:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 17:06   #7
BHPian

Voted, Not a big fan of it.

I understand the frustration of identifying and differentiating between the segments is not like before. It has become like anime (if some one followed DragonBallZ), with each power level up the character has only minor hairstyle or color change.

But yes, we can still identify them if you stick to some small yet significant differentiators.
Let us take the 2019 Mecr portfolio as you posted the rear, I would like to post the front view.

I just look at the head lamps and tail lamps to differentiate them,

C200: 2019 - Single DRL element

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-c2.jpg

E200: 2019 - Slightly different and 2 streaks of DRL elements

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-e2.jpg

S500: 2019 - 3 streaks of DRL elements

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-s5.jpg

Also from the rear, check the similar strategy in the pictures that you posted.

For Lamborghini again, there is good differentiation between the Aventador and the Huracan. But I use the same Headlamp and Tail lamp strategy. Aventador has Y shaped DRL in front and Huracan - YY shaped.
From rear - same story. Posting the pics for rear only since most of us see only rear ends of these cars by the time we realize there is a super car coming.

Aventador Rear:

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-la.jpg

Huracan Rear:

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-lh.jpg

Source:All images are sourced on google search

Last edited by saikarthik : 14th December 2020 at 17:09.
saikarthik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't mind the family look at all, if the design theme is handsome. E.g. the newer Mercedes, VWs, Porsches...although I have to admit that, I do get caught out sometimes trying to identify a C / E / S correctly. Never from the front, but their butts are damn similar.

I hate the family look when it's all weirdo! E.g. the newer Hyundais & BMWs. Yuck.

I don't think players in the mass market with a ton of products (Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra) can have a "family look" across their model range. They have too many products in the affordable segments and each car needs a differentiator.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:41   #9
BHPian

I would say it doesn't matter whether it is a family look or not till the time you give a second glance to your car after coming back from that long drive or long day at work.

And if talking about how a similar look reduces the premium-ness quotient of the more expensive models I would say the owners of the more expensive model like an S-Class mostly are at a point in life where it doesn't matter to them what others think or feel about them.

Additionally, they have such personalities that even if they get down from a C-Class people would mostly mistake that for an S-Class.
sv97 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 20:46   #10
BHPian

Voted No.
I just feel that it takes away the identity of the car model and ends up just beefing up brand visual purely from an aesthetics proposition.
Why not try different looks for different models rather than screwing up the whole design or losing the homogeneity of the design in the race for maintaining the family look.

Let there be butch look, sexy sedans, hot hatches, conservative lines from the same manufacturer/brand in different models. I am sure it doesn't dilute the brand image of Maruti and Hyundai.

I loved the silky looks of erstwhile Zen while having a crush on mountain goat Gypsy and still liking every passing M800.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 21:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted I am okay with it !

Why ? because I wont ever buy the expensive cars higher up in the line up
I can go for the less expensive models and still get the brand treatment and recognition. For instance, all I have to do is get the C class and folks will say I got an S class. Some may even say I got a Maybach
TrackDay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:27   #12
BHPian

Voted I'm ok with it as it provides a distinct identity to the brand. Tata cars are identified as Tata irrespective of the segment you see. I personally love the Ford design language as it has been consistently beautiful throughout - Clean and simple. Mercs also get my vote for being beautifully made.

On the other hand, designs like Hyundai and lately Toyota, BMW are so weird, even worse they are uniform for almost all their models. :(
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 23:40   #13
BHPian

This "family look" is nothing but institutional bankruptcy. This is what lethargy and incompetence looks like. When I see how this opaque term has influenced the makers all I see is customers being force fed in make believing that this is how it should be in order to hide their incompetence.

It is frustrating to see cars from same manufactures look more or less same. Just 15 years back you could tell a car model from any profile. You could have actually admired a cars' curve in scant yellow sulphur street light, the sliding bonnet, the grill, tail light, steering and those different accentuated body lines, all those were distinctive feature. Now one has to bend his/her back and read what exactly is written in order to understand what exactly is he/she admiring or hating. In fact this intellectual banckruptcy made all car bonnets across all manufacturers design same i.e. with a lip. Car design companies/units are now basically run by either fresher management recruits or some utopia group with ulterior motive.

In summary, I dislike this family look.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 06:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

I hate the trend of carrying the 'family' look. Makes it real hard to distinguish between cars. Case in point. Kodiaq vs Karoq.

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-kodiaq.jpg

"Family look" & styling across cars from the same brand-skodakaroqfrontstudioimage.jpg

Many others too, but this one really gets me irritated.
benbsb29 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 06:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I do get caught out sometimes trying to identify a C / E / S correctly. Never from the front, but their butts are damn similar.
Same! Especially between the C and the E. There is one E-Class on my street and I kept thinking its was C until I saw it from the front one day and I think i have pretty good observation when it comes to cars. Eating the humble pie.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks