Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2021, 11:57   #46

Re: Discounts in December or new model year car in January?

Hello,

Looks like this thread is in the cold box but here it's another December, another year of the dilemma of the buyers: Buy the dream car in December or in next year make in Feb/ March.

A lot has been said and I think that remains the same for every year. I am just giving another thought to my purchase because it's a Price hike season for car manufacturers, which they are doing for the last 1-1.5 years. Most likely there will be a price hike in January of 20-25k and probably another 20k in Mid-year because of the semiconductor issues that they say every time I ask for a delivery.

So the question is Car Delivery: Dec 2021 or Feb 2022 (+Price Hike)?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th November 2022 at 10:40. Reason: spacing for improved readability
td_kia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 12:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_kia View Post
So the question is Car Delivery: Dec 2021 or Feb 2022 (+Price Hike)?
I booked my Kushaq a couple of weeks ago and have opted for a 2022 model even though a 2021 model would have been available in a week. My reasoning behind this:

1) Skoda dealer promised me a 2022 manufactured vehicle by mid or end of Jan. While many dealers only provide 2022 models in Feb or March, this dealer seemed pretty confident that he can get me one in Jan.

2) I'm expecting Kushaq to come with some minor updates(roofliner, ac vents, door beading etc) in the next couple of weeks. So it makes sense for me to wait for some more time.

If you absolutely need a vehicle right now and you don't have the above points in your favour, I'd recommend to negotiate hard and get a new car right away.
You can get a new car and enjoy your Dec holidays with it
Old 14th December 2021, 13:48   #48
BHPian

Aside from the good pieces of advise on this thread, looking at the current scenario of chip shortage and long wait times, my take on this will be that if I am going to get my car in mid-2022 even if I book it now, then I might as well delay a bit and book it in 2022. By luck if I do get the car earlier, it will get registered as a 2022 model.
Old 18th December 2021, 23:17   #49

I have also booked a Kushaq and dealer is pushing me to take delivery this week itself promising the service and maintenance pack and essentials kit along with a corporate discount (~55k saving acc to them).

With prices expect to rise in January, do these benefits justify the inevitable depreciation hit for buying a car just before the year end?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th November 2022 at 10:40. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Sayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 09:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Would like to know which car is available at a discounted price, unless it's a sales dud.

Personally, if a suitable car is available with good discounts in December, I would pick it, as 5-6 years down the lane, all the ICE cars would be in oblivion.
Old 19th December 2021, 09:41   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeR View Post

1) Skoda dealer promised me a 2022 manufactured vehicle by mid or end of Jan. While many dealers only provide 2022 models in Feb or March, this dealer seemed pretty confident that he can get me one in Jan.

Have you booked with Garve Skoda by any chance
I have done the same and they are expecting the 2022 models in Jan end or Feb.
Hope the 2022 model has some updates
Old 19th December 2021, 10:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Now the situation with most cars is so bad that getting delivery is more important, irrespective of manufacturing year. And with most manufacturers already increasing price from 2022, it’s better to get 2021 vehicle even without any discounts
Old 19th December 2021, 19:45   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan View Post
I have also booked a Kushaq and dealer is pushing me to take delivery this week itself promising the service and maintenance pack and essentials kit along with a corporate discount (~55k saving acc to them).
With prices expect to rise in January, do these benefits justify the inevitable depreciation hit for buying a car just before the year end?
Wow, I have not seen any Hyundai or Kia dealer offer any discounts these days. Getting a car itself is very tight, therefore they are not providing any discounts. If you are getting a discount and that to ~35k (eq to ~55k as per dealer), it's a good deal as in Jan there might be an increase of !10-20k definitely.

Better, Go for it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th November 2022 at 10:41. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 20th December 2021, 20:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Have you booked with Garve Skoda by any chance
I have done the same and they are expecting the 2022 models in Jan end or Feb.
Hope the 2022 model has some updates
You got that right. I have booked my car at Garve, Pune.

The salesman told me I can expect the 2022 model in mid January. He'll provide more details by 5th Jan.

Honestly, other than the roof liner and AC vents, I'm not expecting many updates in the Jan release models. We may see more updates in the upcoming months, but I've already waited long enough and can't wait more in anticipation of rumoured changes.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th November 2022 at 10:41. Reason: spacing
Old 28th November 2022, 10:38   #55
BHPian

With another year end approaching, it’s time to reignite this thread

Taking delivery of my Dark Nexon EV today! (28.11) Got around 65k discount in addition to the 1.5L subsidy by the MH government, which may get called off at any moment. Hence took the plunge.

Eco_boost is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 14:55   #56
BHPian

Having negotiated multiple new cars for friends, family and self, I am fully convinced that December is the best time to buy a car if you plan to keep the vehicle for 5+ years. The discounts outweigh the depreciation from the MY if you play your cards right. Recently booked a Kia Seltos GTX+ DCT in Chennai on December 28th, 2023, and got the vehicle registered in January 2024.

Considering that the ex-showroom prices for this variant was just a tad less than 20L, and with the increase in tax in TN for cars over 20L, I decided to pull the trigger before the quarterly price increase by Kia.

Had to work with multiple dealers, but was able to negotiate a straight discount around INR 1.2L on the OTR price, but with no additional freebies. I always get insurance on my own for all new cars, but this time, was able to get an overall deal including return to invoice, so decided to take insurance from the dealer.

Considering that the pre-facelift model was being offered 1.8L discounts, to get 1.2L on the new face lifted variant was a fair deal.

Few observations and tips to negotiate a better deal from experience
  1. Start by making a list of all the dealers in your area and visit/call them to ask for the available stock - important to make note of available variant, colour, manufactured month/date, number of units.
  2. Start with the dealership where you have a good relationship, and ask for their best price. Do not tell them about not wanting to take insurance initially. Get the discount breakup and then negotiate further.
  3. Once you have a number, go back to the dealer who has the most stock in terms of numbers, and let them know that you are flexible with the colour and willing to take the one that they can give the most discounts on.
  4. Check with the other dealers and be transparent about the best offer you have been made yet, and there will be a point when you know you have a good deal. Now once you have this, directly go to your preferred dealer, or the dealer who has your preferred colour+variant in stock and 9/10 times, they will match the best offer. Surprisingly, most of the times they end up making the deal just a little sweeter when you tell them you will pay the advance right away.

Interesting observations
  1. The discounts can vary between different branches of the same dealership. Generally the ones in not so prime locations offer better prices.
  2. Best to not communicate your colour or variant choice because, when the dealer realises that the colour you are looking for is not in stock, the conversation ends prematurely, and when the dealer realises the colour you are looking for is in stock, you may lose the full negotiating scope.
  3. If there is a dealer with >1 car in stock for the variant and colour that you are interested in, the closer to December 31st, the better the deal. You will definitely be able to get at least additional freebies.
  4. We all know it is almost always better to not take the insurance from the dealer, but communicate this at the very end of the negotiation as I have seen dealerships even going as far as almost matching the market price. Same goes for the accessories, pick what you want in the end, and ask for appropriate adjustments in price.
  5. If it is a very small difference that your preferred dealer is not able to match, I would recommend still going with your preferred dealer as the relationship that you have with your dealer can save you a lot of time and hassle.
  6. Specifically check for corporate discounts, as some dealers leave this out.
  7. Finally, if the car is not so popular and if you are sure the stocks are not going to go off by the end of the year, wait for January. For really popular cars, I have noticed that they somehow are able to clear out the stocks by the end of the year, at least for all the good colours.

Though this might not be for everyone, and might seem like too much work for a few thousands, it is at the most a 2-day task and I do not really do it just for the monetary savings, but for the art of negotiating and getting a fair deal. Most of my friends and family call me when they have decided to buy a new vehicle and I always look forward to doing this!

Last edited by MadrasTurbo : 6th January 2024 at 15:16. Reason: Fixed typo.
MadrasTurbo is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed