Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2024, 08:16   #1396
BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Hello Everyone,

I drive a Maharashtra registered car (June 2011) and yesterday drove to Ahmedabad. My car doesnt have HSRP yet nor is there any option to obtain it in Maharashtra as of date. I was flagged down by a cop who was really aggressive and insisted I pay a fine for my Non HSRP plates. I asked him for a challan, but he refused. In the end I had to pay him so that I could leave, since I had my Family with me and it was late at night.

Can anyone suggest what to do when driving a Non HSRP car in a place where it is compulsory? Can my vehicle really be fined? Or is this just a scare tactic to extort some money?

Also, how can I obtain HSRP in Maharashtra? There doesn't seem to be any option for Maharashtra for the time being.

Thank you.
pareekvirendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 13:01   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
Can anyone suggest what to do when driving a Non HSRP car in a place where it is compulsory? Can my vehicle really be fined? Or is this just a scare tactic to extort some money?

Also, how can I obtain HSRP in Maharashtra? There doesn't seem to be any option for Maharashtra for the time being.
Maharashtra still hasn't made HSRP mandatory for vehicles delivered prior to April 2019. The government still hasn't been able to finalise an HSRP vendor despite multiple bid rounds.

Your car cannot be legally fined for not having HSRP, since the home state wherein the car is registered has no provision for the same. The cop probably just figured out that he can extort some quick money.
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 16:56   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
The cop probably just figured out that he can extort some quick money.
You are absolutely correct Sir. It was an extortion. He simply refused to give me a challan when i asked him to write me up.

He said first pay in cash, then will give you a challan. I said I have done nothing wrong, he said you do not have any idea how many challans I can give your car. That was my hint to just pay up and leave.

I was disappointed to be welcomed to the city in this way. But, i guess it is what it is.

I checked today as well, and fhere is no way for me to get a HSRP for my car as of now. I don't know what to do the next time someone stops my car.
pareekvirendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 17:00   #1399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I drive a Maharashtra registered car (June 2011) and yesterday drove to Ahmedabad. My car doesnt have HSRP yet nor is there any option to obtain it in Maharashtra as of date. I was flagged down by a cop who was really aggressive and insisted I pay a fine for my Non HSRP plates. I asked him for a challan, but he refused. In the end I had to pay him so that I could leave, since I had my Family with me and it was late at night.

Thank you.
Same plight of JH regd cars when traveling to UP & WB.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 18:45   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you.

Hi Have you tried contacting Car Dealership or RTO agent? I am driving 2017 MH12 registered vehicle in Karnataka. Some one in this thread has asked me to check with RTO agent/official in Pune. I will do that when I will be travelling there.

Last edited by sat123 : 11th July 2024 at 18:48.
sat123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 19:33   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat123 View Post
Hi Have you tried contacting Car Dealership or RTO agent?
I did contact the RTO and Car dealership as well. They both told me that presently there is no provision to provide HSRP plates on cars older than 2019. How can we be penalised for something beyond our control?
Old 11th July 2024, 20:14   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
I did contact the RTO and Car dealership as well. They both told me that presently there is no provision to provide HSRP plates on cars older than 2019. How can we be penalised for something beyond our control?
I have seen some number plate makers, make plates identical to HSRP plates. I think you should explore that option (only if you are travelling out of Maharashtra often, else it doesn't matter).

Another option is get a letter from your RTO that there's no mandatory HSRP Number plate necessary for your car and show it to the police when you are stopped. The police will try to search for something in your car to penalise you. So make sure that your car has no drawbacks or accessories that are not permitted by law such as tinted windows or carrier on a private vehicle etc.

The police will inevitably delay you on some pretext or try to scare you knowing that you are from a different state and its upto you to succumb or not. For example, if I am travelling alone or with friends, I don't mind a few hours delay and can hold my stand. But if there are women and kids in car and if it's night time then I don't think I will take any such risks..
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:34   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I too am in the same situation but from a different state. Mine is a Tamil Nadu registered 2013 car. I made enquiries both at the RTO as well as the dealerships. I will share my experience. The bookmyhsrp site does not pop up with Tamil Nadu at all. I explained this in my previous posting. Upon contacting the Tamil Nadu RTO, they said that they had no rules to issue a HSRP for older vehicles. I also went through an intermediary to check on this and got the same response. In addition, I also contacted HSRP makers in Chennai to find out if I could do this on my own and I was directed to go through a car dealer. I contacted the dealership to get this sorted out and initially, the gentleman handling my case said that it could be done. However, a day later he sent me a screenshot showing that it could not be done. The screenshot that he shared was from the Vahan portal for ordering number plates. It clearly mentions that vehicles bought prior to 2019 did not qualify for the new number plates. I am now carrying this screen print around as proof that I tried to get the new plate but could not.
Regards, Balaji
Bsimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:37   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Another option is get a letter from your RTO that there's no mandatory HSRP Number plate necessary for your car and show it to the police when you are stopped.
Sir, I tried to get this document both from the RTO as well as from the Dealer. Both flatly refused to give me anything in writing. Regards, Balaji
Bsimhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 11:17   #1405
Senior - BHPian

After reading various posts about challenges faced to get HSRP for pre-2019 registered cars and traffic cops in some states penalizing out of state non HSRP cars, I am wondering if it would help to install HSRP look alike plates which can be easily procured from number plate shop (except the laser code, it looks identical). From a distance, it does look like HSRP and may (to whatever extent possible) help dodge traffic cops. I see many cars with such plates and no one stops them to check closely. Just in case it helps this impossible situation.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 14th July 2024 at 11:29.
Old 14th July 2024, 15:54   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat123 View Post
Hi Have you tried contacting Car Dealership or RTO agent?
I tried approaching the dealership where I got my car from in 2008. He said no such thing is available for old models with the necessary security features.

They instead gave plates which look similar to the HSRP but without the stickers or the screwing mechanism. 1000rs or similar amount
Ashutosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 17:28   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
They instead gave plates which look similar to the HSRP but without the stickers or the screwing mechanism. 1000rs or similar amount
Sir, a sticker or riveting screw is no big deal. My bathroom towel hanger has the regular screw with a rivet finish cap that can be screwed over the screw . One can never know if it's actually riveted or screwed even at close up. These are available in hardware shop. Just use them. The plate looks like riveted.

Stickers must be easy..Any shop that does the Seals will do it for you.

When some traffic police lack empathy nor understanding of different rules/regulations at various other states, and over that are hell bent on penalizing the public for no fault of theirs, then we have no option but to resort to these type of eyewash. Sad but couldn't be helped.
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-img_20240714_171734.jpg  

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-img_20240714_171740.jpg  

Last edited by ashkamath : 14th July 2024 at 17:32.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 11:30   #1408
BHPian

Hello all,

I have a 2014 registered car with these plates that were installed at the time of delivery only by the Maruti dealer which looks like genuine HSRP plates with IND symbol, hologram, laser codes and rivets.

I have come across a notification in my state (Rajasthan) that says all vehicles before 2019 need to get HSRP installed.

Now, when I try to book a HSRP through SIAM it says HSRP already installed, please use the replacement option. So I can assume it safely that my car has HSRP installed.

But my car's bumper was changed few years back and the rear number plate is now screwed with bolt and screws.

My query is, can I get rivets installed to the rear number plates. Is it possible?

Or should I order new plates only through the replacement option?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-whatsapp-image-20240702-10.56.02_936c9550.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks