Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:19   #1381
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post

3. As the appointment is on 11th June, how can I continue driving without having trouble with Bangalore Traffic Police? Can I take a printout and stick it or fix the old number plate for time being?
You can fix the old number plate. Nobody is checking for HSRP yet and I doubt it will happen anytime soon as there are way too many vehicles without HSRP.

Might not be an option as HRSP is not removable, but usually fixing the rear plate in the front and using a jugaad paper/sticker at the rear will do in such situations. Cops usually flag you down as you approach them, no so much once you go past them.

Btw, did you upload FIR or a lost report? Pls share details about getting this document (FIR/lost report) online - would help others in future.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:09   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today morning I was driving from Salem to Bangalore. When I left from Salem I am sure I had my front number plate but when I reached bangalore I didnt find it. I havent stopped any where. I cleaned the car couple of days I didnt notice any lose contact (and I believe rivet is meant to be holding it tight).
2. What care should I take so that it doesnt happen again? Even the first time I had the frame with the plate to avoid any damage.
Was the plate directly riveted to the car or was the frame riveted and plate was just clicked into the frame ?

Police hasn't started checking yet. Meanwhile you can just buy a hsrp lookalike from number plate shop until you get the replacement.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:26   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Was the plate directly riveted to the car or was the frame riveted and plate was just clicked into the frame ?

Police hasn't started checking yet. Meanwhile you can just buy a hsrp lookalike from number plate shop until you get the replacement.
The plate and the frame was together riveted to the car. I still dont have a clue how did it fall.
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:31   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You can fix the old number plate. Nobody is checking for HSRP yet and I doubt it will happen anytime soon as there are way too many vehicles without HSRP.

Might not be an option as HRSP is not removable, but usually fixing the rear plate in the front and using a jugaad paper/sticker at the rear will do in such situations. Cops usually flag you down as you approach them, no so much once you go past them.

Btw, did you upload FIR or a lost report? Pls share details about getting this document (FIR/lost report) online - would help others in future.
Yes I had my old plat for now I have screwed up the old plate. I will wait for my schedule to fix the replacement plate and check with them what all the possibility that this could have happened.

By the way Karnataka State Police has an app (only android) called e-lost record in which you can file a Lost Record (LR). Once you submit the request, you get a report with a number assigned. The app doesnt work perfectly. I was not able to download the report but I could take a screenshot and upload it to the HSRP website.
hardilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 18:46   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
I told them that in TN it’s fitted only on new vehicles but not on old.

In fact I checked in driving school in Chennai and they told RTO is not issuing HSRP for old vehicles but only for the new.

So any idea how to avoid fines by another state traffic police if the registration state is not providing HSRP to old vehicles.
I tried to check if anyone had an update to your query as I too am in the same situation. The bookmyhsrp site does not have Tamil Nadu at all in the menu. Also tried the SIAM site. This too did not have Tamil Nadu. I tried contacting an RTO agent, but he was clueless and said that old vehicles did not require HSRP in Tamil Nadu. The problem is when a TN registered vehicle travels out of state the issues begin. I also tried the dealer (Toyota) and they passed it back to the RTO folk. Does anyone in this forum have any experience on this. I've seen a lot of KA folk mentioning their experiences and none from TN. Any guidance in this matter will be deeply appreciated.
Rgds, Balaji
Bsimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 12:24   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The plate and the frame was together riveted to the car. I still dont have a clue how did it fall.
Usually it should not happen unless there is external impact or may be while wading on water logged road due to the water pressure (or improper mounting as I mentioned earleir).

If you are planning to use frame this time as well then please double check that they should rivet the plate (and not frame) directly to the car. Also, they should use rivet and not screws.

This could be another reason I could think of why plates would fall off easily. I understand that it wasn't the case for your last time but no harm in taking precaution.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 25th May 2024 at 12:34.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 23:36   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Usually it should not happen unless there is external impact or may be while wading on water logged road due to the water pressure (or improper mounting as I mentioned earleir).

If you are planning to use frame this time as well then please double check that they should rivet the plate (and not frame) directly to the car. Also, they should use rivet and not screws.

This could be another reason I could think of why plates would fall off easily. I understand that it wasn't the case for your last time but no harm in taking precaution.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will make a note this time when I go for installation.

But I am 99% sure that the plate was riveted not the frame. Both the frame and plate has gone missing.

I kind of feel the hole where the rivet goes it has become bigger and that made the rivet to get lose and fall off on the high way. It rivet goes into to the plastic housing and I could see it has some sort of wear and tear.

I might need to ask them if there are any way they can ensure it doesnt happen again.
hardilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 00:00   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Both the frame and plate has gone missing.
If the plate falls into wrong hands, could they create some mishchief? Could some one use the plate for some criminal activities?

I suggest, that you lodge a police complaint in this regard, so that you are shielded from any future police problems / court cases / accusations that could arise due to misuse of this missing number plate by miscreants.

Nothing may happen, but you never know. So, better take precautions and be safe than sorry.
Old 26th May 2024, 03:50   #1389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. As the appointment is on 11th June, how can I continue driving without having trouble with Bangalore Traffic Police? Can I take a printout and stick it or fix the old number plate for time being?
Simply carry the new receipt bearing the 11 June appointment in the car. Police will not hassle you at all.
Old 26th May 2024, 17:51   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
If the plate falls into wrong hands, could they create some mishchief? Could some one use the plate for some criminal activities?

I suggest, that you lodge a police complaint in this regard, so that you are shielded from any future police problems / court cases / accusations that could arise due to misuse of this missing number plate by miscreants.

Nothing may happen, but you never know. So, better take precautions and be safe than sorry.
Thanks for this view. This is something haunting me from the day I lost this. One side, these number plates are invented just to avoid such misuse (especially with the laser code on the plate) on the other side, I am thinking exactly like you on all possibilities how I might get into trouble.

But the concern in getting into PS for FIR is, I dont know where this has fallen. I was on Salem - Bangalore Highway and it could have fallen any where. Generally in the PS when we lodge an FIR they would need appropriate place of incident so that they know its in their boundary.
Old 26th May 2024, 18:11   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
But the concern in getting into PS for FIR is, I dont know where this has fallen. I was on Salem - Bangalore Highway and it could have fallen any where. Generally in the PS when we lodge an FIR they would need appropriate place of incident so that they know its in their boundary.
Sir, the police complaint is not to recover the lost HSRP plate nor a complaint against any person. A complaint is a report made by a person to the police about a perceived offence (in this case, a probable misuse of the lost HSRP), while an FIR (First Information Report) is a formal document prepared by the police when they receive a complaint or information about a cognizable offence.

I am not a legal person. All I am trying to say here is just lodge a complaint with the police that while you were driving from Salem to Bangalore, somewhere on the highway, your HSRP plate was lost. The complaint is to make it clear that you have informed the law & order department of the Govt and that you are absolved of any misuse of the lost HSRP number by miscreants in future.

Let's say, you are just informing the police that you have lost your HSRP plate. You are not requesting for recovery of the same nor accusing anyone of misuse of the same. All you are doing is like saying" I have lost it and if it is misused, I am not be blamed and I am keeping the relevant department, informed in this regard'

I am a Marine Hull Surveyor (a ship/watercraft surveyor) and whenever a boat sinks at sea, as a part of claim process, the owner lodges a complaint with the police department, fisheries department & port office about the mishap. Now we all know that the vessel sunk at high sea (say 10-20 nautical miles deep at sea, away from the sea coast) and certainly cannot be salvaged (In the vast expanse of the sea it is virtually impossible and economically not a viable option either), However lodging a complaint with the police and other departments will create an official record / document about the mishap that could come handy during insurance claim / court matters etc.

So, I suggest you approach your nearest police station and lodge a complaint and also inform them of the purpose / need of lodging the claim. Once the police come to know that there is nothing to follow up nor recovery of the HSRP plate, they should be fine with the complaint.

Last edited by ashkamath : 26th May 2024 at 18:20.
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 11:29   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Sir, the police complaint is not to recover the lost HSRP plate nor a complaint against any person. A complaint is a report made by a person to the police about a perceived offence (in this case, a probable misuse of the lost HSRP), while an FIR (First Information Report) is a formal document prepared by the police when they receive a complaint or information about a cognizable offence.
Thanks a lot for the insight, I will lodge an FIR in this regards to ensure I am not held responsible for any misuse.
Old 25th June 2024, 13:39   #1393
BHPian

Hi all,

My car's windshield was replaced and I wanted to apply for the HSRP sticker only (Mine is a 2022 Oct registered car). I tried online but either I get a message that my car already has an HSRP sticker or I get an error "Please enter valid front laser code" on Bookmyhsrp website.

I reached out to the customer care of both websites and I was asked to reach out to the dealer. I reached out to VW dealer and they have no clue on ordering only the sticker (They asked me to check with a traffic police when they stop me, didn't know how to react to these guys).

Can someone who has already ordered only sticker for a newer car help me on this. Any recommendations to VW showroom in Bangalore would be helpful.
Old 1st July 2024, 07:27   #1394
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hello, BHPians!
I have a couple of queries regarding HSRP in Kerala, A 2014 Scooty Streak in our family has its number plates illegible due to wear and tear, It is an old number plate which is not legal right now as only IND plates and HSRP are legal in Kerala at the moment, so I was wondering, what is the procedure to apply for HSRP for old vehicles in Kerala, I would like to replace it with HSRP as it has become mandatory in almost every state and soon old vehicles will also have to get HSRP. If anyone is aware of the procedure and costs involved with the same, do let me know.

Secondly, My Ola S1 Pro Gen 2 met with an accident and its rear number plate has become illegible as well, it is an HSRP, and I would like to know what is the procedure to get a replacement as well as the costs involved.

I am posting this on the forum, as the personnel at my nearest TVS and OLA showrooms don't know anything regards these.

Kindly provide your valuable input on this matter.
Old 9th July 2024, 13:51   #1395
BHPian

I lost my front number plate yesterday somewhere in Sion/Wadala (Mumbai) while driving through the water logging. I think it is HSRP.

Can i replace with any normal number plate or i have to get HSRP?

Because the online portal does not show Maharashtra state (though my number was BH series but its in Mumbai)

Till then do i stick a print out of the number?

Most Viewed