Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2022, 18:08   #1111
BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Thanks condor and Aviator_guy! I will proceed with regular plates then. Cheers!
Old 22nd January 2022, 16:13   #1112
BHPian

Any idea if High Security Number Plates are required for older vehicles in Karnataka and what is the procedure to get it? My mom was stopped today and challaned because the number plate was apparently 'not legal' since its not a High Security Plate (2012 vehicle). I googled but can't find any clear clarification on this.
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:02   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Any idea if High Security Number Plates are required for older vehicles in Karnataka and what is the procedure to get it? My mom was stopped today and challaned because the number plate was apparently 'not legal' since its not a High Security Plate (2012 vehicle). I googled but can't find any clear clarification on this.
OMG! There has been so many articles in newspaper that HSRP is still not mandatory for older cars in KA due to vendor issue. Even higher authorities have instructed traffic cops not to harass people for older cars prior to 2019 but looks like no one is listening. Feel so sorry for your mother to have been fined illegally when govt itself is yet to come out with clear guidelines and approved vendor.

May be you should keep news paper cutting in the car to show to cops ( where this issue was highlighted and authorities have confirmed not to penalize people just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider77 View Post
Thanks condor and Aviator_guy! I will proceed with regular plates then. Cheers!
One suggestion in case that makes sense to you.. I see that people have started putting HSRP look alike plates (full white ones and not the ones with blue patch) which can be bought from a local number plate shop (costs ~800 bucks). From a distance, you can't make out difference so there may be less chances of cops stopping.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd January 2022 at 20:18. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:20   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
bought from a local number plate shop (costs ~800 bucks)
Negotiate. I was quoted Rs. 550 for one set, so I bought 2 sets (for 2 of my vehicles) for a total of Rs. 800. This was from some random shop in Jayanagar.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 21:06   #1115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Negotiate. I was quoted Rs. 550 for one set, so I bought 2 sets (for 2 of my vehicles) for a total of Rs. 800. This was from some random shop in Jayanagar.
Where's this shop ? I was pulled over for the number plates today.
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:21   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It's on Tilak Nagar Main Road. I tried searching for it on maps, but it doesn't show up. If you want to get it done from here just give me a call when you're this side, I'll take you to the shop myself.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:37   #1117
BHPian

Every avenue for corruption is fully explored and used till exhaustion. My wife and her friend were caught in Gujarat for a MH04 2018 Land Rover Discovery not having HSRP plates.
After paying the fine, after a lot of argument, they have returned to Mumbai and spend time daily trying to get HSRP plates made in Mumbai>
My regular signage and 'ols plate' maker says i cannot get it made and only the dealers get them made for newer cars.
Can anyone tell me- how to get these made? In Mumbai?
Thanks.
Old 10th February 2022, 14:29   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I was stopped last month. The only mistake they found out was illegal number plate, mine is a 2009 model Activa.
I asked them from where I can get legal number plate and about the news article, waited there for sometime. Later they asked me to carry on.
Old 10th February 2022, 14:51   #1119
BHPian

Are HSRPs provided along with a new car and is the cost included or I need to pay separately? Also, do we get those at the time of car delivery or first we need to drive with some temp plate and then get the HSRP installed?
Old 14th February 2022, 17:04   #1120
Team-BHP Support

How does one go about getting replacement HSRP plates (damaged or lost) for a 2019 registered KA car?

Would the RTO be able to issue a set based on the serial numbers of the original plates?
Old 22nd February 2022, 23:21   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Which are the states where HSRP is mandatory even for older car? I am planning for a long drive covering multiple states. My vehicle registered in late 2015 does not have HSRP.
Old 23rd February 2022, 08:24   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Every avenue for corruption is fully explored and used till exhaustion. My wife and her friend were caught in Gujarat for a MH04 2018 Land Rover Discovery not having HSRP plates.
After paying the fine, after a lot of argument, they have returned to Mumbai and spend time daily trying to get HSRP plates made in Mumbai>
My regular signage and 'ols plate' maker says i cannot get it made and only the dealers get them made for newer cars.
Can anyone tell me- how to get these made? In Mumbai?
Thanks.
Since I have a long drive across GJ and RJ coming up and I was worried about this issue, I dropped an email to MH03 RTO and they replied back that HSRP is not mandatory for pre-2019 vehicles. Now I am armed with this email to fight any corrupt cops. I am sharing a screenshot of the email for the benefit of everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-545ab715720c46e6990ccb0e5ba4cd7b.jpeg  

Old 23rd February 2022, 08:32   #1123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What type of plates did you have in your vehicle when the cops pulled you over? Did it have those IND inscription in the blue strip or a fancy font? Or was it just a normal plate?

Cops here in TN will flag down non-HSRP IND plates and I've seen many users cover the IND part with a white tape.
Old 23rd February 2022, 09:49   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Which are the states where HSRP is mandatory even for older car? I am planning for a long drive covering multiple states. My vehicle registered in late 2015 does not have HSRP.
I got some information about HSRP on this website. It is already mandatory for Delhi. I will not drive via Delhi but I will need to go via UP.

Quote:
The UP Govt has made it mandatory for old vehicles to have HSRP. UP Government has released a new SOP about the deadline. As per the new SOP, old vehicles in UP must have affixed the HSRP by July 2022.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What type of plates did you have in your vehicle when the cops pulled you over? Did it have those IND inscription in the blue strip or a fancy font? Or was it just a normal plate?
Some local vendors can provide replica of HSRP, but I guess they can't provide the sticker for windshield. You may refer this post (High security number plate in Karnataka?).

To be safe, I might go for HSRP replica just to avoid getting flagged down. I assume they may not look much for the sticker on the windshield.

Last edited by airbus : 23rd February 2022 at 09:53. Reason: Minor correction.
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:40   #1125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What type of plates did you have in your vehicle when the cops pulled you over?.
The Old type - hand painted numbers. Prev owner had used one of those informal curvy type numbers (not the completely cursive type lettering).

Have got fresh plates, but replaced the rear one. Front I have redone to a more formal font, but stickered. Need brackets to fix the new plate in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
To be safe, I might go for HSRP replica just to avoid getting flagged down. I assume they may not look much for the sticker on the windshield.
Thee must a lakhs of vehicles on Bangalore roads that are running with painted/stickered plates with clear fonts.

Last edited by condor : 23rd February 2022 at 11:42.

Most Viewed