Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 19:23   #451
BHPian

re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Out of curiosity, can the Automobile Associations in India (like AASI) assist in getting this done instead of 'wasting' a day at the RTO?
Old 10th September 2012, 18:42   #452
Senior - BHPian

Been looking forward to HSRNP in Mumbai. Does anybody have any info if the RTOs or any agency (Utsav?) here have started issuing the same?
Old 11th September 2012, 11:14   #453
Senior - BHPian

No they are not implemented in Maharashtra RTO Yet. The closest option is the smart number plate by Utsav. They also courier the same to you.
Old 12th September 2012, 00:47   #454
BANNED

High security number plates are not what they say they are. The car can be stolen whatever number plates you use. I do not think many thieves will be interested in stealing high security number plates. However, they do have the merit of bringing standardization to the plates. Everything else seems quite superfluous. Though the money made by certain parties on this account would hardly be superfluous. Odd... in the US I had to get a fresh set of number plates every year. They had the year of issue written on them. I wasn't quite sure how the natives dealt with their old plates so I simply carried them around in the boot. When crossing the border once from Canada to USA, this lady at the check post literally climbed into the boot and emerged triumphant with an old set of number plates - she was quite ready to proclaim that the car was stolen, when one of her colleagues pointed out that the registration was the same, the year was different. So much for the security afforded by number plates.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:18   #455
Senior - BHPian

A couple of news articles on the HSRPs:
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...s-neck_1625521

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...tender-process

Don't think, the HSRPs are intended to or even will be able to stop theft of vehicles. It is more per say standardization, unique identity to a vehicle, tamper-proofing the number plates and most importantly being able to quickly scan and get information about a vehicle. The advantage would be if a stolen vehicle is supposedly spotted, blocked and scanned, it would give exact details about the vehicle anywhere and enable authorities to take respective actions per say. MH's RTO 'spy' idea with RFID seems one more addition and could be really useful as well for various purposes.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:28   #456
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you @parsh. I think what happened is that the problem of all sorts of fancy plates was getting out of hand. Then someone did a sweetheart deal with one vendor for HSRPs. This was almost cleared, but someone complained so the Maj Gen quashed the whole thing. After that his successors were not exactly the most competent. However, it was kept pending, so the proposal was ultimately revived and here we are. In the Govt system no proposal ever dies, it is just put into the cold storage.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 13:12   #457

High Security Number Plates (HSNP) to haunt again

Hi! My first post to the team after joining and I am starting this thread again on a note that more of us can come together to discuss this haunting issue once again.

A short brief: HSNP's have come into force again and are now compulsory for all vehicles on Indian roads. Implementation phase I - New Vehicles sold on or after September 01, 2012. Implementation Phase II - All other vehicles (Older)

On 25/09/2012 - Delhi/NCR region RTO office declared a deadline of one week from date of purchase of new vehicles to get high security number plates installed or face consequences (Rs. 2,000/- on spot fine or vehicle confiscation). Law enforcement date: October 01, 2012

It is said they have done this because over 50% of HSNP's have been lying around in RTO offices and no one has gone to get them installed.

By 02nd October, 2012 - various people from across the town were harassed by our "educated" cops in the name of the lord and most of them were fined one way or the other (the latter being more prominent)

Massive protests and complaints went out to the transport department - Since the RTO office themselves are taking over a month to process the plates, how can one get them installed in a week???
- Sweet! I will give you the plates in a month, but if you don't install them in a week, I will penalize you. Cool, eh??
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...n%20stupid.gif

Following the protests, today morning (04 October, 2012) a new deadline of October 15, 2012 has been proposed for all new vehicles to get their HSNP's installed. Right!! Still not mention of a timeline for vehicles purchased in the first or second week of October. Completely ambiguous. Originally the TEMP number supposedly used to be valid for a period of one month from date of purchase of vehicle. Now its a confused state of affairs as always.

A new line of action mentions that dealers won't be able to deliver vehicles to new owners until the HSNP's are not installed already on the vehicles. How very nice again and convenient. Buy a car, get it registered, pay in full and then go home and sleep .. wait for a month or two and then go and pick it up when ready. I am not sure how much space the govt. is allotting the dealers to stock up all these cars.

I have just bought a car (Jazz) a week back and its on a TEMP number. Now I am not sure if I should be allowing my wife to take it out as it could cause unnecessary harassment on the streets. I want to know if anyone has a better idea, or a clue to what is actually going on and how we can enjoy motoring without having to waste time arguing with short tempered cops on streets. This would really help all new vehicle owners who have not yet got their cars fitted with HSNP's.
Old 10th October 2012, 08:14   #458
BHPian

Hi. First hand experience of getting the HSRP's. I bought an SX4 Celebration Diesel about a month and a half back. The dealer delivered the car with temp number written using different sized alphabets on a plastic number plate. I was told I will have to go to the 'Ekal Seva Kendra' myself to even deposit the fees for getting the HSRP's after the permanent number is issued which I got in the next 15 days. I was then offerred the service at a cost of Rs.500 in addition to the Rs.365 that I had to pay for the HSRP. After 15 days, I made my way to the HSRP centre which was located inside an Apollo tyres shop. I walked straight in and showed the payment slip. There were thousands of number plates scaterred in no specific order. It took 1 hr for our man to locate 1 plate. The other was not traceable. After they saw me losing my temper, they kindly offered to make the second plate there itself which they did. Then I carried both plates to another kind man sitting in front of a computer who quickly issued a sticker to be affixed on the front windscreen carrying the reg no, engine no, chassis no and serial no of the plates.

Opposite to the shop under a tree, there were 2 more kind men affixing the plates on vehicles. They removed the plastic plates, put the HSRP under them to know where to drill holes and affixed the HSRP on my car with rivets. They also pasted the sticker on the front windshield.

My view, how can plates fitted with rivets stop theft? The thief just needs to drill into the rivets to remove them, cleanly remove the High Security Plates and yank off the sticker put on the windscreen. Big deal that the courts have been making over this. As caring vehicle owners we need to have deterrents on our own to prevent theft like security system, gear lock, external steering lock.
Old 16th October 2012, 15:30   #459
BHPian

I hope BHPians from Delhi have already seen this.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16829828.cms
Old 16th October 2012, 15:39   #460
Senior - BHPian

The philosophy is very simple, The King can do no wrong, so fix and fleece the consumer at every point. They may be relaxing on the basis that the matter is too trivial to be reported to the courts. I am wondering whether they can be hauled up under Contempt of Court.
Old 16th October 2012, 15:51   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post
Hi. First hand experience of getting the HSRP's. I bought an SX4 Celebration Diesel about a month and a half back. The dealer delivered the car with temp number written using different sized alphabets on a plastic number plate. I was told I will have to go to the 'Ekal Seva Kendra' myself to even deposit the fees for getting the HSRP's after the permanent number is issued which I got in the next 15 days. I was then offerred the service at a cost of Rs.500 in addition to the Rs.365 that I had to pay for the HSRP. After 15 days, I made my way to the HSRP centre which was located inside an Apollo tyres shop. I walked straight in and showed the payment slip. There were thousands of number plates scaterred in no specific order. It took 1 hr for our man to locate 1 plate. The other was not traceable. After they saw me losing my temper, they kindly offered to make the second plate there itself which they did. Then I carried both plates to another kind man sitting in front of a computer who quickly issued a sticker to be affixed on the front windscreen carrying the reg no, engine no, chassis no and serial no of the plates.

Opposite to the shop under a tree, there were 2 more kind men affixing the plates on vehicles. They removed the plastic plates, put the HSRP under them to know where to drill holes and affixed the HSRP on my car with rivets. They also pasted the sticker on the front windshield.

My view, how can plates fitted with rivets stop theft? The thief just needs to drill into the rivets to remove them, cleanly remove the High Security Plates and yank off the sticker put on the windscreen. Big deal that the courts have been making over this. As caring vehicle owners we need to have deterrents on our own to prevent theft like security system, gear lock, external steering lock.
Hi Buddy,

I have gone through the same experience. Truly belive these high security numbers are just piece of junk. Government is simply making fool of public, where as the company who is authorised to fix these plates are minting money.

Any thief, can easily take out those rivets and fix a new plate. How the hell anybody would know that the car was manufacturered before 1st of May 2012.

B/w i have also bought SX4 celebration edition, thanks to the huge discounts
Old 16th October 2012, 16:10   #462
Senior - BHPian

How do you tell if a particular set of plates are HSRPs?

I have the IND plates with hologram sticker that I got for Rs. 1500 but these are not rivetted, just screwed with a regular thread type screw!
Old 16th October 2012, 21:02   #463
BHPian

The HSRP's cost only Rs.365 odd. They are installed only by RTO authorized vendor. Every plate has a unique serial number written below IND. The sticker that these guys issue for affixing on front windshield has the serial number of both plates (F/R & Rear) in addition to vehicle registration number and chassis no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani

Hi Buddy,

I have gone through the same experience. Truly belive these high security numbers are just piece of junk. Government is simply making fool of public, where as the company who is authorised to fix these plates are minting money.

Any thief, can easily take out those rivets and fix a new plate. How the hell anybody would know that the car was manufacturered before 1st of May 2012.

B/w i have also bought SX4 celebration edition, thanks to the huge discounts
The SX4 diesel celebration is a terrific buy at the current cost. I immediately discarded the OEM JK's & replaced with Michelin PLC's. Improves ride quality substantially besides taking care of your suspension. Just got MGA parking sensors and reverse camera & mats fitted. Great VFM & consistent mileage of 18 kmpl on AC in Delhi traffic. Congrats on your buy.
Old 16th October 2012, 22:41   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarang
Hi! My first post to the team after joining and I am starting this thread again on a note that more of us can come together to discuss this haunting issue once again.

A short brief: HSNP's have come into force again and are now compulsory for all vehicles on Indian roads. Implementation phase I - New Vehicles sold on or after September 01, 2012. Implementation Phase II - All other vehicles (Older)

On 25/09/2012 - Delhi/NCR region RTO office declared a deadline of one week from date of purchase of new vehicles to get high security number plates installed or face consequences (Rs. 2,000/- on spot fine or vehicle confiscation). Law enforcement date: October 01, 2012

It is said they have done this because over 50% of HSNP's have been lying around in RTO offices and no one has gone to get them installed.

By 02nd October, 2012 - various people from across the town were harassed by our "educated" cops in the name of the lord and most of them were fined one way or the other (the latter being more prominent)

Massive protests and complaints went out to the transport department - Since the RTO office themselves are taking over a month to process the plates, how can one get them installed in a week???
- Sweet! I will give you the plates in a month, but if you don't install them in a week, I will penalize you. Cool, eh??
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...n%20stupid.gif

Following the protests, today morning (04 October, 2012) a new deadline of October 15, 2012 has been proposed for all new vehicles to get their HSNP's installed. Right!! Still not mention of a timeline for vehicles purchased in the first or second week of October. Completely ambiguous. Originally the TEMP number supposedly used to be valid for a period of one month from date of purchase of vehicle. Now its a confused state of affairs as always.

A new line of action mentions that dealers won't be able to deliver vehicles to new owners until the HSNP's are not installed already on the vehicles. How very nice again and convenient. Buy a car, get it registered, pay in full and then go home and sleep .. wait for a month or two and then go and pick it up when ready. I am not sure how much space the govt. is allotting the dealers to stock up all these cars.

I have just bought a car (Jazz) a week back and its on a TEMP number. Now I am not sure if I should be allowing my wife to take it out as it could cause unnecessary harassment on the streets. I want to know if anyone has a better idea, or a clue to what is actually going on and how we can enjoy motoring without having to waste time arguing with short tempered cops on streets. This would really help all new vehicle owners who have not yet got their cars fitted with HSNP's.
Hi narang, welcome to team bhp

What i'd advice you is to get a normal plastic plate for the time being until you get your HSNP's.
This is exactly what a cousin of mine did with two of the cars he bought last month.
These would cost around Rs.50 per plate.
I guess this is the only feasible thing you could do at this moment.
I am sure no one's gonna stop you and ask when did you purchased the car.
Just get the normal plate and avoid driving on a temp reg no.

By the way congrats on your new car
Old 17th October 2012, 10:58   #465

Hey satyam, thanks for the view.

Pls inform how I can put a normal number plate when I don't have a registered number yet? I have my temp plates installed at the moment. Besides, the car is brand new ... if they have launched a drive today as per TOI's article yesterday with 25 teams and all that jing bang .. it would be easy to stop every new looking car and ask for papers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks