Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Light vs dark coloured interiors - Your choice & why?
Light coloured interiors 158 25.57%
Dark coloured interiors 354 57.28%
Doesn't matter 106 17.15%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 07:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Light vs dark-coloured interiors

Cars come with either light coloured or dark coloured interiors. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Here's a look at some of the pros and cons of light and dark coloured interiors. Please vote and let us know which one you prefer.

Light vs dark-coloured interiors-dash.jpg

Light coloured interiors

Pros:

1. The lighter colours make the interiors look airy and spacious compared to darker ones. One is less likely to get claustrophobic with lighter interiors, especially if the interiors are not very spacious.

2. Lighter coloured interiors give more luxurious appearance than dark interiors. There is a certain opulence about white, cream or even beige interiors that screams luxury which black interiors just don't have.

3. If your car is parked in the open and spends a lot of time under the sun, a lighter interior is more suitable. It absorbs less heat and fades less compared to a a darker interior. Faded black interiors look really bad.

Cons:

1. Light coloured interiors are prone to getting soiled. Any amount of grease or mud is easily seen on the contact points such as the dashboard, doorpads and seats.

2. Some of the shades offered in light coloured interiors are atrocious and not to many peoples' liking. Check out the 1st-gen Ford Figo's peach interiors. I know many people who didn't buy this otherwise fantastic hatchback just because of the interior colour.

3. Some shades like beige are considered colours for old folks. These is far less likely to appeal to the younger generation than say black.

Light vs dark-coloured interiors-dp-1.jpg

Dark coloured interiors

Pros:

1. Dark interiors are likely to conceal signs of soiling way better than lighter ones. In a country that has a lot of dust such as ours, dark interiors will be easier to maintain.

2. Dark interiors are far more sporty in appearance compared to lighter ones. A dark is much more likely to suit most cars. They go very well with sports cars and supercars - much better than lighter shade.

3. When it comes to selling your car, remember that a dark interior is far more neutral in appearance than a lighter shade. One is less likely to have trouble moving a car with a well kept black interior.

Cons:

1. Mostly, the shade offered in a dark coloured interior is black. There is no second colour except maybe some silver or chrome inserts. This can get very boring to look at.

2. Just like a dark exterior colour, scratches will show prominently on a dark interior theme especially is the car has leather upholstery. Light coloured interiors are more capable of hiding scratches and wear marks over a longer period of usage.

3. The interiors of cars with a small glass area and no sunroof can get very dingy if the interior them is dark.

Light vs dark-coloured interiors-dp.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2020 at 08:35.
Aditya is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Light vs dark-coloured interiors

Voted for doesn't matter. I like light-coloured interiors as well as dark-coloured ones and it totally varies as per the car. In family cars (e.g. Ciaz / Camry / E-Class), I usually prefer beige as it feels more luxurious to my eyes, and more spacious too. But in cars with sporty pretensions (Rapid TSI, Seltos, Mini Cooper, Cayman), I'll go with dark interiors.

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2020 at 09:28.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Light vs dark-coloured interiors

Voted doesn't matter.

I prefer having beige or tan interiors in sedans and luxury-based vehicles (like MPVs or luxury SUVs and Limos.)
But, when it comes to hatchbacks and sportier offerings, like supercars, hot-hatches etc, I love having black or red interiors as I feel it exudes the sportiness of these vehicles.
akash_v12 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dark coloured interiors (preferably black or charcoal) any day, every day, especially on the front fascia and dashboard area. They are easier to maintain in Indian conditions, and more importantly, black interiors look way better and more premium than beige ones (especially garish beige which are found on some Indian car interiors) in my eyes.

Used to love the interior setup of my 2011 Swift which was all black and very sporty. Of my current rides, the Honda City (thankfully) has an all black and grey dashboard, with beige mostly on the door pads and seats. The Ecosport S on the other hand has an all black interior with a few minimal splashes of muted matt orange. Again, love these interiors, they look very sporty and premium. In fact, one of my grouses against Ford is that they changed the interiors of the Ecosport from the lovely all black to beige (in all the variants other than in the S version).

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 8th December 2020 at 09:43.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:43   #5
BHPian

I honestly don't like light coloured interiors. They just look dull and boring. They are also a pain to maintain .

I like black (dark) coloured interiors because they blend in perfectly with any exterior colour in any type of car.

Tan (dark) coloured interiors look good in luxury cars.

Dark red also looks good in sports and luxury cars.
Old 8th December 2020, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Voted for light coloured interiors for a specific reason apart from the pros already mentioned.

With light coloured interiors, you tend to notice the dirt and grime and you will put effort to get the interiors cleaned. With dark coloured interiors, you rarely feel the need to get the interiors cleaned.

Only after getting a car with light coloured seats did we ever bother getting it cleaned up at regular intervals. Otherwise we never used to do anything apart from vacuuming the interiors. Looking back, the interiors must've been truly filthy considering the amount of dirt and dust accumulated is more or less the same in a given operating environment.

I'm pretty sure it's mostly the same case with the common man apart from a few who bother to get the interiors cleaned at regular intervals irrespective of the colour scheme.

Yes, taxis with dark coloured interiors really turn me off.

Last edited by Turbohead : 8th December 2020 at 09:49.
Turbohead is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:56   #7
BHPian

Voted ‘Light’ because I prefer tan/beige interiors over dark claustrophobic interiors.

Light vs dark-coloured interiors-dd772a7c6d3a40bfaa80bd1ed0f1fa64.jpeg

Light vs dark-coloured interiors-72fadbb205d5461a8156b6a3fddd2c53.jpeg

However, if they add something like this:
(Some sporty highlights, stitches etc.)
Light vs dark-coloured interiors-bc3798ba2961490d951c44b5d976104a.jpeg
then black does not look so bad after all.

Another example: some years back when we went to the Toyota dealership to check out the Innova Crysta, its all black interiors were really a set-off. Newer model year’s lighter coloured seats are a lot better than what we had seen back then. But the Touring Sport model which we saw then, despite its all black interiors had red highlights and stitches and other sporty-ish cosmetics that did not seem as bad as the all-black Innova Crysta.
EightSix is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:57   #8
BHPian

I love light colored interiors.
I usually maintain my car well, and I highly discourage anyone from consuming anything within the car, even on long journeys. So, I manage to maintain the interiors free from spills and soiling. I get the interiors vacuumed thoroughly every three months or so.
I also use washable floor mats within the car, so, any slush during rainy days also don't become a problem. Plus, I get a paper placed on the floor over the mats, so, that provides some additional protection as well.
These are definitely additional steps I need to take in order to maintain the interiors well, but, I like the feeling of roominess that light interiors bring. It also keeps me quite relaxed when I'm driving over long distances.
So, I'm a fan of light colored interiors.
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:11   #9
BHPian

I like light coloured interiors but prefer top of dashboard to be dark/black to avoid reflection of windshield. Also, I prefer floor mats to be of dark colour so that it matches with light coloured interiors and seats.
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:24   #10
BHPian

Voted black interiors.

Having owned cars with beige and black interiors, I feel black ones age better if taken care of well. Also black interiors get out of the way better and allow me to focus on driving.

Two cars that I want to call out that get it right for me - Civic and the Superb Sportline. Absolutely dig the alcantara in the Sportsline!
andafunda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:31   #11
BANNED

My earlier car - Swift had black interiors, similar is the case with the Creta too, most of the panels are black including the seats and trim panels. I find this much better than having white or beige in the car.

I hated it when Maruti chose to give beige in places where human touch was more i.e. steering wheel, gear lever, door pads, etc which turned 'blackish' with extensive use. Needed a lot of effort to restore that trim to it's original state.

I love Black interiors and the only exception in terms of colour options for seats etc will be the 'Tan' seats from Toyota on the Innova Crysta. Absolute pleasure to look and the feel of the seats - Premium!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:49   #12
BHPian

If given a choice in choosing interiors, I will always go for Tan/Red. Red though doesn't come in all cars but I saw in Porsche Cayenne and Bentley it was too sexy to ignore.

I wish we had shade of Red available in Germans starting range.

Tan is little more neutral and will suit most exterior colors.

I was on the verge of buying A4 Matador Red mettalic color with Tan Interiors, good I never bought it

I prefer dark but not black
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted black. This is purely a reflection of my current choice of car (Seltos GT Line) which has all-black interiors that I vastly prefer to the alternative light beige.

My Vento has light interiors and am quite comfortable with that because of the low cabin space- gives it an airy look. But in a regular sized/large cabin, I would always prefer dark interiors.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 11:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted doesn't matter, because it varies for different models.

But one pet peeve is the usage of beige/lighter colours in poorly finished interiors. The panel gaps and wear of the materials will be more in your face with such interiors.
eg: The facelifted versions of the 1st gen Indigo, Sumo Grande, Ambassador Grand, Boleros with the all beige interiors. Eyesore.

And to be frank, it is all in the designing of the interiors.
Just don't put beige carpeting and in places of frequent touch.
Old 8th December 2020, 11:26   #15
AYP
Senior - BHPian

For me, it depends on case to case basis.

On some cars, I prefer an all black interior, e.g. Sonet, Seltos etc. but on others, I prefer a black and beige combo, e.g. Octavia, Superb, Jetta etc.

I do prefer the beige inserts on the dashboard on the lower variants of the Magnite vs the all black treatment on the top trim.

In cars with sporty credentials though, it is difficult to find a fault with an all black interior treatment. One example being the Octavia VRS.

If I have to choose only 1 option, I would prefer a light coloured interior.

Last edited by AYP : 8th December 2020 at 11:30.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed