Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 12:59   #46
BHPian

Re: November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

There is a lot of talk about automotive illiteracy and how the Indian consumer continues to value bling over safety. I don't think it is just automotive illiteracy, the issue is our blatant disregard to rules, safety and an attitude of "chalta hai" across all disciplines. Forget about airbags, they are still supplementary safety measures, people don't use seatbelts unless cops are around. Those have been around since ages. Helmets is a different discussion altogether.

Buying a bigger car is still an aspiration and the society still judges you by the length of your car. People will buy an entry level or mid variant of a bigger car any day vs the top end of the lower segment which might offer more safety features. Majority of volumes are still in the sub 8 lakhs category and safety features cost the manufacturers if they need to also add bling with it.

Ideal situation would be to make safety options configurable so that people can opt for all safety options even with a base variant. But that makes for a production nightmare.

And then add to that the irresponsibility shown by Maruti Suzuki, the market leader, who has enough cash in it's coffers to lead the way on safety, but will not do anything to change the sentiments. Outside Japan, India is their cash cow and they just need volumes with thick margins.

Someone once said, the erstwhile european cars launched in India would use quality materials in areas that people dont even touch, but today quality has been limited to visible and high touch areas, squeezing every bit of the margins.

I think it has been a bold move by Tata to make safety as a selling point. But the numbers are still tilted towards bling'ed cars. Hope the change comes in with people valuing safety over sunroof.
justwheels is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 14:20   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- Ciaz seems to be outdated in front of the New City & Verna, drops 40 % in growth.
Slight correction in the analysis here (or am I reading the wrong numbers ). Ciaz, in November’20 has registered close to 30% Month-on-Month growth, while Verna has seen a down slide in November 20.
This wasn’t the scene in October 20 though, Ciaz was lagging behind both - City and Verna.
Old 8th December 2020, 14:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azharumon View Post
For these brands to do well, they better improve their after sales and after sales service where their reputation (esp VW+Skoda) is really bad. A bad dealer reputation pulls of buyers more than anything.
Ford After sales is good . I experienced very good service both in Bhopal and Pune . Figo , Freestyle and Aspire are capable vehicles with very good engine and safety gizmos. Sad to see their sales numbers
greyhound82 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It is also sheer automobile illiteracy that leads to crucial, important safety features such as side & curtain airbags, ESP + TC, TPMS etc. get labelled as "bling" and "gizmos". I always have a hearty laugh whenever I come across such silly, idiotic statements from those who suffer from the incorrigible condition called automobile illiteracy.
Not sure if consumers consider the additional safety features as gizmos, but the fact is that usually they are available only in the top-end model, where you also need to also pay for other gizmos like wireless charging, electric seats, sunroof etc. I guess only Yaris had all these safety features evenly distributed across all variants. However Yaris met with poor market response. I wish if the safety features like side airbags, ESP etc available from the base model, things will improve. (As we currently see all cars from B segment onwards dual airbag as standard, which was not the case 5 years ago). I had a 2010 civic LX in US, which I think was the base variant, and it had side and curtain airbags, but do not have things like auto AC or many other conveniences. So there the safety features are common across all variants with the exception of radar based collision detection etc. Hope our market also progress in the same direction.
Old 8th December 2020, 16:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

New vehicle registrations down by 19.29% in November 2020

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle registrations declined by 19.29% in November 2020. Overall sales stood at 18,27,990 units, compared to 22,64,947 units in November 2019. However, the month on month (MoM) data shows a growth of 29.32%.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

The festive season saw good demand and the overall degrowth of -4.74% was much lesser than expected. The passenger vehicle segment grew in double digits at 13.6%. The focus in the 2-wheeler segment continued its shift from 100cc to 125cc and above category.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

Small commercial vehicles continued to see good demand. However, demand for buses remained weak. High prices of BS6 models, finance issues and higher fuel prices continue to affect the M&HCV segment. Demand for tractors remained strong.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

2-wheeler sales declined by 21.40% to 14,13,378 units compared to the same month previous year.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

3-wheeler sales were down by 64.98%. 24,185 units were sold compared to 69,056 units in November 2019.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

Passenger vehicle sales increased by 4.17%. 2,91,001 units were sold compared to 2,79,365 units in November 2019.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

Commercial vehicle sales dropped by 31.22%. 50,113 units were sold in November 2020 compared to 72,863 units in the same month previous year.

November 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

Tractor sales increased by 8.47% to 49,313 units.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:59   #51

Dec'20 sales figures are expected to be less than Nov'20. But Car makers are in no mood to reduce their production numbers and dispatches ( Hyundai Chennai plant has announced work on all Sundays of Dec'20).
The Idea , I believe is to be prepared for better sales in Jan'20 ( New year, pongal etc.) with better inventory of engines,transmissions and finished cars.

Now my two cents: Car sales will touch an equilibrium value of 2,50,000 units per month for Jan'21-Mar'21. With job losses, low occupancy in hospitality sector, low footfall in malls and theaters and general uncertainty due to pandemic there is no way to see Oct'20 type of sales in the next quarter.
Old 8th December 2020, 19:06   #52

It's a bit interesting when one compares sales figures with new vehicle registration numbers. For example, Maruti's sales stand at 1,35,775 (1,63,656) units in Nov. (Oct.), 20', while the registrations stand at 1,43,554.(1,24,261) On the other hand, Hyundai's figures for sales are at 48,800 (56,605) for Nov. (Oct) 20', and registration figures are at 47,162 (42,757). A rise of ~ > 11% in registrations against a fall of sales by ~ 15%. It appears that the dealers have stocked up in large numbers in October month in anticipation of festive period's demand and may also have reduced stocks a bit in November because of a reduced year end demand(?).
Old 8th December 2020, 19:12   #53
BHPian

One quick glance at the FADA details and we can see that MSIL,TATA, Toyota and Ford sold more than they dispatched in the month of November.
Now that is definitely good news considering that FADA details does not have data from three big states AP,MP,TS and LD. So the original numbers are even higher. So the demand is there. Let us hope this sustains although December blip is expected every year. Also shows that manufacturers are not piling vehicles to dealer which should also be a good sign.

Having said that, one very confusing thing is the sales data shown for Skoda-VW. FADA has separate numbers for Skoda Auto Volkswagen India Ltd, Skoda Auto India Ltd. and Volkswagen India Ltd. What a way to confuse people.
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
One quick glance at the FADA details and we can see that MSIL,TATA, Toyota and Ford sold more than they dispatched in the month of November.
Now that is definitely good news considering that FADA details does not have data from three big states AP,MP,TS and LD. So the original numbers are even higher. So the demand is there. Let us hope this sustains although December blip is expected every year. Also shows that manufacturers are not piling vehicles to dealer which should also be a good sign.
Correct, sales have been really good. FADA's release also included their inventory details and passenger car inventory levels are at 25 - 30 mark which is optimum.

https://twitter.com/FADA_India/statu...17107235651585

Quote:
Key Findings from our Online Members Survey on Inventory
- Average inventory for Passenger Vehicles ranges from 25–30 days
- Average inventory for Two-Wheeler ranges from 45–50 days

My prediction is that we will be seeing some a lot of new models from everyone, not only the MSIL-HYUNDAI-KIA but Tata, Mahindra, Ford, VW-Skoda, Nissan-Renault and Maruti-Toyota.

2021 is going to be the year that we will breakout of this 250k per month stagnancy and start hitting 300k or more consistently per month.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 20:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Clearly people are rejecting overpriced Innova and moving towards another cars.
The Marazzo's sales though are very, very saddening. <500 cars sold per month for a very competent product is heartbreaking to see.
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
There is a lot of talk about automotive illiteracy and how the Indian consumer continues to value bling over safety. I don't think it is just automotive illiteracy, the issue is our blatant disregard to rules, safety and an attitude of "chalta hai" across all disciplines. Forget about airbags, they are still supplementary safety measures, people don't use seatbelts unless cops are around. Those have been around since ages. Helmets is a different discussion altogether.
Off topic, but I think it depends on the place and state where one drives, I grew up in Sikkim and pillion wearing helmet was mandatory even in 2009 when I got my first bike. Once I was let off with a warning for my friend wearing helmet with loose straps while riding pillion. "chalta hai" is not the case everywhere, I have observed that who live and drive in hills like shillong, darjeeling, sikkim, they do follow rules. If you drive down to ooty or coorg where cabbies from bangalore are regulars, you will come across a lot of them overtaking in turns and risking everyone, which is a different case altogether.
Mainali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 21:45   #57
BHPian

Next year, by this time, the following new products would most probably be launched
a) Volkswagen Taigun
b) Skoda Vision IN
c) Renault Kiger
d) Next Gen Skoda Rapid
e) Citroen sub 4 mtr hatchback/suv/crossover?
f) Mahindra XUV 4oo
g) Tata Blackbird

I expect the above products shall eat into the sales of Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Kia in that order. So, the difference between top two market leaders and the others shall be narrowed down.

I have postponed my upgradation plan by one year considering the upcoming above mentioned launches.
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 22:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Quite pleased to see Vitara Brezza lagging behind. What is Maruti thinking by bringing in Vxi AT barebones model at close to 11 lakhs onroad.
What are the other proper automatic CSUV will you get for 11 lakh on road other than magnite? I am not considering AMT here.
Old 8th December 2020, 22:33   #59
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2020 at 06:48.
ButterRider 7 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2020, 00:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Ford After sales is good . I experienced very good service both in Bhopal and Pune . Figo , Freestyle and Aspire are capable vehicles with very good engine and safety gizmos. Sad to see their sales numbers
I can vouch for the same, though OT I’m making it a point to post here because the ignorance many car buyers in today’s day and age is killing Ford.

I have a figo and it’s easily one of the cheapest car to maintain in India.
I have serviced my car in Cauvery Ford mangalore, Cauvery Ford Bangalore, elite Bangalore (near that big mall), 2 service stations of KS Ford in Jaipur. The experience is very good and consistent and cheap as well.
gauravanekar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed