View Poll Results: Big and centrally placed model badges
Yay! (Love it, futuristic design, classy, other) 33 6.99%
Nay (Hideous, Ugly, Hate it, other) 208 44.07%
Depends on the car (Which car? Please specify) 231 48.94%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 17:50   #46
BHPian

Re: Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?

As long as the width of the badging is less or the same as that of the number plate or the number plate niche, it looks good. Longer than that looks hideous. All the yays in this thread are for badging that follows these guidelines. All the nays are for the ones that are bigger than the numberplate groove/niche

To give an idea, I think this -

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-glosterexteriorrearbumper.jpg

can transform to this -

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-glosterexteriorrearbumper-3.jpg

by adhering to the abovementioned guidelines.

Last edited by nishsingh : 7th December 2020 at 17:52.
nishsingh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 18:10   #47
BHPian

Voted - depends on the car.
It sure looks good with a big, imposing SUVs like the Land Rover Defender, Discovery, even the Kia telluride and Harrier looks good.
The T-Roc’s font is relatively small , but compared to size of the car, it looks classy.
If a small kid who loves car make a drawing of MG Gloster , that’s how he will write the name of the car.
Well, the badging on small cars like the Nios, Aura etc hasn’t grown on me yet.
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 19:45   #48
BHPian

It surely does depend on the car. And the designer's skill.

I think it works brilliantly on big, rugged, 4x4 trucks. Correction - only on them. For me, much of their bold, raw, outdoorsy appeal, especially the pick-ups from 20-30 years ago, was down to the identity emblazoned across the rear tailgate (who cares whether it belonged to the UN or Al Qaeda).

Even a fairly large, centralised badging on regular cars works, but then it comes down to the aesthetics. Any designer worth his two cents will tell you that the proportion of elements and their placement is key.

This is evident when you compare the classiness of the T-Roc badging versus the ungainly job on the Hyundais. The Gloster though, is in a different league of garishness.

On most city cars, I'm still all for a clean rear, but if the badging is proportionate, it could still pull it off despite the size.
TAHR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 20:02   #49
BHPian

It depends on the car as well as the font and size. I love how subtle the "T-Roc" looks and like the font that Tata has used for the Harrier.
The G L O S T E R on the other hand looks the worst IMHO, can't expect much from a company that puts "Internet Inside" badges all over their cars.
Another example of subtle yet classy is how Lincoln makes good use of this trend.
Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-2018_lincoln_aviator_6_1024x768.jpg
TaurusSHO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 21:38   #50
BHPian

Here is another example, of a poorly done rear badge. £9.1 Mn, and it doesn't suit the price tag!
The EB logo is enough, the wide spaced B-U-G-A-T-T-I is unnecessary
Attached Thumbnails
Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-bugattichristianoronaldo1.jpg  

Last edited by lemedico : 7th December 2020 at 21:39. Reason: Added a sentence
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 22:35   #51
BHPian

Voted YES for only the centrally placed badge.

No lettering, no stickering, no striping.
Would personally prefer if OEMs start mentioning variants subtly with changing the color of the logo, say, blue for Diesel [idea sprouted from the AdBlue fluid for Diesels], green for petrol, and a plain chrome logo with a thunderbolt logo for EVs [hybrids can sport both Green and thunderbolt logo, assuming there are only petrol hybrids]. Only the sport variants can display a red colored Logo. Phew! crazy ideas!
Guru_GPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 02:14   #52
BHPian

'G L O S T E R', another reason for me to stay away from that, same for Alturas I suppose. I think its enough to have the brand badge and keep the model name subtle in some corner, although it depends on the car's design (Rangerover and T-Roc looks classy, done with some taste - which matters).

And I guess its not required to display the variant, guess MSIL stopped doing this, still see some other brands sticking to it, don't get the point. The brand shall be advertised- that is understood and they may also want to advertise the model (for people who wouldn't know what model is it) but what's the point in displaying the variant or mentioning other specification related stuff as a badge or a sticker?
architect_santo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 06:39   #53
BHPian

Voted "depends on the car". IMO, the industry doesn't have to follow this like a new convention. It all depends on the character of the vehicle and not all of them ask for that. The TATA & VW execution looks the best and in-line with the character of the ride. Well, the MG one! That one really looks out of place and hideous. The "Internet Inside" badging and now this one I got one more reason to stay away from the brand as a whole. The Korean execution isn't the worst, but still a long way from being classy.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 07:38   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No.
There is a dialogue in the movie Hindi Medium where they are told "less is more". I prefer that...Just the company logo is always minimalist and beautiful. I prefer the clean badgeless design at the rear. That's the reason why I've debadged my car's rear to get that clean beautiful look.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 08:38   #55
BHPian

I'd like to say it depends a lot on the font, size of the font and spacing of the letters as well.
Gloster looks awful because of the wavy font and the far spacing of the alphabets taking up the entire boot space yet T-Roc looks classy because of the compactness of the name's design.
mufeez1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

I like it. I was inspired by the cityrover to do a similar sticker job on my indica 8 years ago, and it has been there since. Not that anyone needs to read it to understand what car it is, but it breaks the visual monotony of the rear hatch door. at least better than the anonymous looking stock rear (PFB for comparison)

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-13920421_1415901841758797_3391669260315233759_o.jpg

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-tataindica1999wallpaper64072.jpg

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th December 2020 at 10:59.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 11:28   #57
BHPian

Definitely, it is the execution that matters. 2 cases where it is downright ugly are with Mahindra Alturas and MG Gloster. The choice of font and spacing is atrocious! Tata Harrier seems to be flaunting it in style. Nexon and Venue are decent too.
vshankarhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 11:48   #58
BHPian

Voted "Depends on the car".
Love the implementation on the Harrier and T-Roc, looks really classy.
On the other hand, absolutely abhor it on the Gloster, goes totally against the premium image MG is trying to build with it.
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:39   #59
BHPian

Voted for "Depends".

In many cars, it looks really good and classy, example the T-Roc. However, the same in the Gloster looks absolutely hideous, where I think it is largely to do the over-sized font and the huge space in between the letters rather than the name being centrally located. The same in the Alturas and the Harrier does not look out of place.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:56   #60
BHPian

I’d say the aesthetics depend on the car. The GLOSTER badge is nothing short of terrible on an otherwise nice looking MG. However, I loved the ŠKODA badge on the Superb Sportline. The dechromed letters blend nicely with the car.

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-5c1efc50527a4f0e8516e3d9230bb0e8.jpeg

Image source: IG @skoda_draconis
TurboGuy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks