View Poll Results: Big and centrally placed model badges
Yay! (Love it, futuristic design, classy, other) 33 6.99%
Nay (Hideous, Ugly, Hate it, other) 208 44.07%
Depends on the car (Which car? Please specify) 231 48.94%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:47   #16
BHPian

re: Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?

As with any design - anything overdone ends up looking bad. The twin headlight trend for example. Harrier manages to pull it off whereas the new Creta looks fugly. Too many cuts and creases. Lights stretching till A pillar (KUV100). SUV Stance on small cars, etc etc!
torquecurve is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 23:22   #17
MUJ
BHPian

Voted - Depends on the car

The name does look good on a few cars. The best is in the T-Roc followed by the Altroz, Harrier, Creta and Venue. Even the latest entrant Magnite has a centrally placed Name plate.
But the work on a few cars like the Gloster (the kind of spacing between letters makes it a kill), Nios and Aura don't look great at all. The BS6 Superb has got the S K O D A name on the top, I liked the older logo rather than the name. It aesthetically looked better in my opinion.

Also the name badge looks better on a darker shade car (dark colours like red, blue or black rather than a silver or white).
MUJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 16:15   #18
BHPian

The TOYOTA pickup truck rears look really good, so does the Range Rover. After reading your replies, a part of me wanted to reconsider voting ‘Nay’.

Now check out both these Porsche Macans.

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-ab62542536994a0d90eacc3ef476a91b.jpeg

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-79ec363b7a124b3e80a04abbb1f28981.jpeg

This is what I meant by ‘depends on car’. A simple color difference or addition of a light bar or placement, size, all this does matter.

However what I want to know from you BHPians that is this a move in the right direction with most new cars having big centrally placed rear badges.

I also want to know what you feel about debadging car rears, I think a clean rear looks the best. I feel that since there is already a fresh discussion going on here, I think I should post it here itself.

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-1016e1859a9947a4a9c12e10311fec8a.jpeg

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-ea0d08fe77794a828fecb34af4008496.jpeg

Let me know what you think about this concept of badge-less rears.
EightSix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 17:26   #19
BHPian

Well the designers always bat for symmetry and this badging gives them that. Previously the some cars (SUVs) had spare wheel mounted on rear door/ tailgate where typically the badging gets hidden, now the spare wheel has moved to trunk or underbelly giving freedom to designers.
But, I think its herd mentality that some successful model had it initially and people just followed it. (just my opinion, not vetted info.)
saikarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 17:28   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post

However what I want to know from you BHPians that is this a move in the right direction with most new cars having big centrally placed rear badges. .
Well, with ever increasing emphasis on 'in-your-face branding', this is bound to happen.
Compare the front logo of a Brio to the 1st gen City. The City's look almost cute with that size. Or the now vulgarly large Merc front treatment.

Also I feel one of the most important things that may have affected this centrally placed badges maybe styling itself.
Earlier most would have been sedans and SUVs, with the rear styling kind of filled up.
Number plates, horizontal lights in sedans.
Barn type/split type tailgates, spare tyre, number plates in case of SUVs meant no place for centrally placed name badges.

But now?
Most, especially crossovers have a plain fat-ass tailgates/bootlids. With lots of surface area and most of the times, numberplates mounted on the rear bumper, it's almost natural to have centrally mounted ones.

Ofcourse, there were centrally mounted badging in old cars, but most would have been pretty expensive ones with separate lettering spaced out painstakingly.
While lower cars had a single die (connected/cursive) smaller badging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
I also want to know what you feel about debadging car rears, I think a clean rear looks the best. I feel that since there is already a fresh discussion going on here, I think I should post it here itself.
Ofcourse who wouldn't like that.
One of the easiest ways to have tastefully modify your car

But with budget cars doing it, especially ol' Maruti.
There is nothing tasteful about it, except plain cost cutting.
Yeah, they started out with Nexa, no need for the layperson to know variant.. blah blah...classy...et al, but we know who is out there obsessed with reducing milligrams.

As a kid with no concept of the internet or auto mags, guessing which variant badges were lower or higher was the next step in car identification super powers, just after identifying cars by their tail lights at night.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 17:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Aura, Gloster, and Alturas look horrible. Rest are not that bad. Voted for depends on the car.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 22:52   #22
BHPian

Voted for "Depends on the car".

I like the model badges on Harrier, T-Roc, while I hate it on Gloster and Alturas and most of Hyundai range.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 23:30   #23
BHPian

Voted "Nay".

Looks absolutely hideous on gloster. Kids can do better job designing gloster badge. Looks palatable on few cars like Harrier and T-Roc but I haven't taken to like any car with such badge launched in India till date.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 08:20   #24
BHPian

Personally, I don't like the model badges. I like a simple design at the rear.
An appropriately sized manufacturer's logo, with the model name in small font is my favorite approach to design.
One more reason I like this approach to design: I mentally play "identify the car" game with myself when on the road. I like to look at cars on the road and try to identify the make and model of the car. When I see something new, I read about the car once I'm back home. The over-sized badges kill this fun for me
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 09:42   #25
BHPian

Voted depends on car. Internationally there are many which have pulled this off in a very classy way. Range rover is the first which comes to mind. But talking about India's mass market cars, some are just plain ugly. Aura and venue, Hyundai will add anything which they can lay their hands on to make the design busy. A chrome here, an LED there, and suddenly wow, we can just make the car name big and fill up the space on rear! IMHO it is an intentional method to keep their bad looking designs from being noticed! Harrier , T roc execution btw are perfectly done!
Raghuwire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 10:48   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?

Damn it! Voted incorrectly. I voted for "no" thinking just of the Gloster, but after reading BHPian comments, I will say it "depends on the car".

Some do it really well, others not so. I think they look good on pickup trucks & SUVs.

Name:  1.png
Views: 3393
Size:  554.8 KB
Source

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-2.jpg
Source

Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-3.jpg
Source

But some do it poorly. Isuzu's sticker job looks cheap & terrible. This tail-gate overall is too cluttered:
Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-4.jpg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 11:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Voted: Depends.

I like them small and classy. I am ok with most of them and its only a few like the MG Gloster where I really hate them.

Best examples: Volvo XC40, Porsche, T-Roc.

Good ones: Harrier, Skoda (Superb).

The larger ones look bad with an exception of the Land Rover "Discovery". I am a big fan of those Nasa Space Shuttles and to have a car with the same name fascinates me. Would really love to have one (Time to visit a scale model shop. ).
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 09:52   #28
BHPian

In the pictures above except for MG and Kia, every other badging is fine.
It looks better if the name is short and font is not too large.
T-Roc and Harrier badges look the best according to their proportions.
Tucker48 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

To all the brands out there, placing (gawdy) badges in the center will double sales overnight. Of the pictures shared by the OP, I only like the T-ROC. I'd debadge all the others.

Indians always accept a good product from an unknown brand: Hyundai Santro, Toyota Qualis, Renault Duster etc. No need for any fancy badging to sell your car. With multiple social media channels and other traditional channels, making the right car and selling it through the good dealers will build a brand.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 7th December 2020 at 10:31.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted for depends on the car.

I want to see big badge specially on large SUVs/MUVs.

Last year, I posted this on another thread (Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?).

Quote:
I always wanted to see Tata SUVs with just "TATA" text on the grill just like GMC. IMHO, it gives more muscular looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Big & centrally placed model badges : Thumbs up or down?-hexa.jpg  

mukeshgoel is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks