Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a new car with 0 discounts?
Yes 300 66.82%
No 149 33.18%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 09:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a new car with zero discounts?

Voted yes, but i make sure to visit different dealers. Whoever gives me the best price gets my booking.
Plus I am pretty much bad in bargaining since i like to make my purchase nice and simple.
Old 12th October 2021, 09:23   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes. I would buy a car without discounts. And have- my 2020 Kia Seltos GTX+ diesel AT came without a penny in discounts.

Doesn't mean I won't ask however. You should always politely ask for a discount. It's usually easy to sense how much the dealer is going to bend. My previous new car purchase was the VW Vento in 2011. I asked and they offered a "corporate discount" as a payback (by cheque, nothing underhand) of 16K. The Kia guy explained that they were not discounting the Seltos at all given the demand and the direction the company was taking. Fair enough- if nobody else is getting, am happy paying full price since in my mind I have already reasoned that the net price is fair.

Where you can definitely reduce your cost of ownership is to refuse to pay for "handling charges" or unnecessary "accessory packs". And get your insurance done outside, will save you a bundle.
Old 12th October 2021, 21:04   #93
BHPian

Voted yes. I have and will in the future be okay buying cars with zero discounts. There have been times I've booked cars right when they launch, so the question of discount never arises, but even otherwise - I look at a discount as a bonus - which I'm obviously more than happy to get and negotiate for. But sometimes I know it isn't possible and wouldn't make me change my decision on the vehicle if it was the one I had decided to buy.

Last edited by Porcupine : 12th October 2021 at 21:05.
Old 13th October 2021, 19:58   #94
BHPian

Voted yes!

When you are purchasing a car in its launch year, the chances of discounts being offered is remote. I remember, when we purchased Fiat Palio 1.6 back in 2002, forget discount/freebies, we were even charged 160 bucks for a keychain!. We only found it out much later, while casually glancing through the invoice copies. Even our latest purchase(Seltos) was with zero discount.

On a side note, I have an anecdote to share. I had a very short stint(just 13 days ) as a marketing/sales executive in one of the leading automobile dealerships in Bangalore close to 2 decades ago. It was quite an experience to be honest. One of the favourite topics during coffee break chit-chats was always about the number of 'Bhakras' each executive managed to catch that particular day. Most of you would have already guessed it, the term "Bhakras"' was used for the customers who signed cheque without negotiating or bargaining! Till then I wasn't even aware that negotiatiating a car price was a possibility. I personally did not find the jibes amusing though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks