Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 15:43   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Hyundai has informed that the response to the new i20 has been strong and that over 4,000 customers took delivery of the vehicle in the Diwali season.

- 85% of all customers choose Sportz or higher trim
- 45% opt for Bluelink tech
-25% opt for IVT/iMT/DCT transmission

Hyundai i20 Review-20201120_154210.jpg

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...861310052.html
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 18:28   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
The cabin is extremely silent and the insulation does a great job of not letting outside noise filter in.
Congratulations. I am taking delivery of my 1.2L Asta (O) Fiery Red and black color Dual Tone on Wednesday. Test drove i20 again today. Tyre noise is not filtering inside cabin. Did you feel need to upgrade tyres for noise level or grip level?
Also, not getting good buyback price (2000/tyre).
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 19:57   #258
Senior - BHPian

My cousin got his i20 1.2 Sportz delivered on Diwali. Took it for a short spin and was bowled over by the silence inside the cabin. The only faint noise I could hear was of the tyres rolling on the road. Super refined ! The car looks smashing in that dark red color. And the sportz variant has halogen lamps so no circular ring inside the headlamp housing looks neat.

The Sportz variant covers almost all aspects that one would need in a car except for rear wash wipe and adjustable rear head rests. One thing that I really liked was that Hyundai offered TPMS in the Sportz variant.
The steel wheels covered with plastic look like alloys, honestly, I don't think why one would upgrade the wheels over this setup, they are abuse friendly and yet look like alloys. The rear camera has variable guidelines which work well and the sound quality of the ICE was good enough to keep one engaged.

The thing that was typical of Hyundai was the super light steering which didn't feel connected. The halogen bulbs need to be upgraded as the high beam was not as bright and focused as one would expect. With fog lamps on, the high beam works better as there is no dark spot close to the car. The fog lamps are excellent by the way. Also, the steering, although good to hold had some rough edges around the thumb contours, as in, I could happily scratch my thumb on it while driving. None of the above are deal breakers in my opinion. Overall, I am happy that he waited for the i20 and not buy the Baleno.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 20:19   #259

I took a back to back TD of the new i20 1.0L Turbo DCT and the VW Polo 1.0 L Turbo Torque convertor. I could manage only short TDs.
Here are my thoughts.

I don't know if this message fits into this thread. Mods please excuse me and move it to the appropriate thread.

Looks
-------
The i20 rear looks really good, the front looks good too. The looks are quite modern and someone who likes a bit of sharp cuts and Zs will definitely like it.
The Polo, it's a timeless design. Some might call it dated but it doesn't seem to get old for me.

Interiors
----------
As expected the i20 feels very spacious compared to the Polo specially in the rear seat. Even in the front seats the i20 feels wider and roomy. Lots of bells and whistles on the i20 top variant but its premium feel suddenly and significantly disappears in the lower trims. Even in the top variant I felt like I was sitting in a spaceship with the lines and the 10 inch infotainment system. Its probably just me but I don't prefer the raised infotainment systems which have started to become a trend in the newer Hyundai/Kia's. It probably finds it utility in navigation but other than that I find it quite a vision hindrance for a person of my height (5'5").

I personally still like the sober and clean looks of the Polo Highline TSI dashboard. The size of the infotainment system is smaller in comparison to the i20 but its position is better for a hatch in my opinion and I feel all the design elements fit seamlessly with each other.

The looks of the steering wheel is also much better and premium on the VW Polo.

The place where the Polo scores horribly is in the space. Although for a person of my height the rear seat is fine, it still feels quite cramped in terms of the width and the head room is also very less.

Driving
--------
The drive of the Polo seemed way better than the i20 turbo. In the i20 the turbo kicked in suddenly and unpredictably and the car would thrust forward, it got a little harder to control when there were other vehicles closer.
The Polo was a much better in this aspect, it seemed more controlled and was more predictable.
The Polo overall was much more easier and controlled to drive and I found the Polo's Torque converter better than the i20's DCT. My drives were short so my experience is still limited.
For me the Polo beats the i20 by miles in driving.

My focus was not on the features but I am sure the i20 will beat the Polo by miles in this department.

Cost
----
i20 Asta 1L DCT - 13.96L OTR (Bangalore)
Polo Highline 1L tubo TC - 11.18L OTR (Bangalore)

Personal opinion - I like the Polo much more than the new i20 in all aspects other than space. It feels more classy. The rear space is horrible in the Polo and the large hump of the tunnel at the rear seat leg space makes it even more difficult.

PS: I am not highly experienced with driving a variety of cars so please take my opinions with a pinch of salt.
oldmonk85 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 09:38   #260
BHPian

The prices are on the higher side but the feature spread across variants is completely off. We got our Elite i20 Asta 1.2P at 8.5L back in 2016 and it had leather-wrapped steering and gear knob, rear wash-wipe and adjustable rear headrests. I do consider the latter two as essential features and omission of these immediately removes the car from considering it.

The Asta IVT which costs around 11.5L OTR in Hyderabad doesn't come with Adjustable rear Headrests. The positioning is aimed to force early buyers to go for the higher variants and down the line, they will introduce Magna+ and Sportz+ variants at marginal price increase with these missing features.
Old 21st November 2020, 10:08   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Congratulations. I am taking delivery of my 1.2L Asta (O) Fiery Red and black color Dual Tone on Wednesday. Test drove i20 again today. Tyre noise is not filtering inside cabin. Did you feel need to upgrade tyres for noise level or grip level?
Also, not getting good buyback price (2000/tyre).
Congratulations on your purchase. I’m sure you’ll love driving the car.

I did think of replacing the tyres since I wasn’t really keen on having my car shod with CEATs. But I’m keeping them for now. Will use them till about 20k or so and then decide. The grip level seems to be ok for normal driving.
Potenza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 10:48   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
I did think of replacing the tyres since I wasn’t really keen on having my car shod with CEATs. But I’m keeping them for now. Will use them till about 20k or so and then decide. The grip level seems to be ok for normal driving.

Great. I have same plan. I noticed, you have fitted 7D floor mats. I am getting same option from dealer but he is not able to confirm if it will be snug fit as these were designed for i20 elite model.
Do these fit perfect in ur new i20?
Old 21st November 2020, 14:58   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Great. I have same plan. I noticed, you have fitted 7D floor mats. I am getting same option from dealer but he is not able to confirm if it will be snug fit as these were designed for i20 elite model.
Do these fit perfect in ur new i20?
Hyundai i20 Review-img-80.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-img-78.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-img-81.jpg

This is how they look.

Link to the mats here and boot mat here
sidindica is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:56   #264
BHPian

The 2020 Hyundai i20 : A Close Look & Preview

Just completed PDI today. I noticed fabric seats instead of leather in my Asta(O). Came to know that leather seats are only in turbo mode.

Hyundai is not making it easy for me to take delivery. Both front doors were not closing properly with normal force. Extra force with bit of bang had to be applied. Have asked them to look at it.
18km ODO reading.

Somehow, liked fabric seats better though for their design but it would be bit of nightmare to maintain.

Last edited by GTO : 30th November 2020 at 06:59. Reason: Removing dead attachment links. Please re-upload the pictures. Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 11:58   #265
BHPian

I went to Kun Ambattur body shop and saw lower variant I20. Notice the LED lights above fog lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-caf8aed6e0954db6951357038be422d4.jpeg  

vvivek85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 06:23   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
I went to Kun Ambattur body shop and saw lower variant I20. Notice the LED lights above fog lamp.
I was there two weeks back along with my SA to do a PDI for the new i20 I had booked on 14th Oct. Turns out the car being a single tone colour in polar white instead of dual tone that we wanted

Still waiting for an update, seems like Hyundai isn’t accepting any new orders due to excessive demand. Looks like mid to late Dec before I take delivery.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:01   #267

Has anybody seen any issues with the DCT transmission in this car? The Venue had got a considerable number of reviews about overheating in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Has Hyundai addressed this in the i20 at all?
Old 29th November 2020, 19:31   #268
BHPian

One of my friend is interested in diesel version of new i20. He is currently driving 2012-13 MS Dzire. He went to see the car but was put off by digital instrument cluster which starts from sportz variant. The lower variant was not available in the showroom to confirm how the instrument cluster looks like on that. He doesn't want all bells and whistles of top variant so can be happy with sportz but he just can't stand that digital cluster. I personally have not seen any variant of i20 in showroom yet so I really couldn't give him my opinion. According to him, the cluster looks childish and logetivity and replacement / repair cost will be a question mark.

Anyone can please throw some light on the questions he is having on that instrument cluster ?

Thanks.
Old 30th November 2020, 00:17   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin V.W. View Post
One of my friend is interested in diesel version of new i20. He is currently driving 2012-13 MS Dzire. He went to see the car but was put off by digital instrument cluster which starts from sportz variant. The lower variant was not available in the showroom to confirm how the instrument cluster looks like on that. He doesn't want all bells and whistles of top variant so can be happy with sportz but he just can't stand that digital cluster. I personally have not seen any variant of i20 in showroom yet so I really couldn't give him my opinion. According to him, the cluster looks childish and logetivity and replacement / repair cost will be a question mark.

Anyone can please throw some light on the questions he is having on that instrument cluster ?

Thanks.
There's about as much reason to worry about the longevity of the digital cluster as there is to worry about the needles breaking off in an analog one.
karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 12:48   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

The Overpriced Hyundai's New i20 shows a 13 % drop in volumes (Y-O-Y) in Nov sales.

Far away when compared to the leader in this segment. Shows sales as 9096 units though claiming 25+k bookings .

Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks