Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Indian Classic would you own today?
Hindustan Ambassador 46 10.36%
Hindustan Contessa 162 36.49%
Maruti 800 31 6.98%
Maruti Gypsy 140 31.53%
Premier Padmini 24 5.41%
Premier 118NE 16 3.60%
Sipani Dolphin 4 0.90%
Standard 2000 13 2.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.80%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 02:58   #76
BHPian

Re: Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?

My First preference is last gen Contessa Classic with 1.8 Isuzu petrol engine.

For second option would be Tata Sierra Turbo 4x4 which is very rare.
Somehow I was never an Amby fan because of frequent body patch work requirement it needed compared to any other car in the list.

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 30th October 2020 at 03:04. Reason: added second option
Old 30th October 2020, 08:37   #77
BHPian

A bit torn between the 800 and gypsy
Both are easy to maintain and with gypsy I have 4 wd but then I get single digit mileage.

I'll go for the 800. I had one and I still regret selling it, could've kept it for the memories.
SaiSW is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 08:45   #78
BHPian

Contessa for me, always wanted that as a child. Maybe 'foose' it too
Old 30th October 2020, 10:36   #79
BHPian

For reliability in today's times, Gypsy is the car. Although the ride quality is horrible and handling nothing to boast about, it is the reliability which pulls the brand.

I always bite my tongue when people refer to Contessa as a Muscle car! How can a puny 4 pot 1.8 liter shod with 4 doors even be considered as a muscle car
I agree the car looks mesmerizing and has an aura of its own, it can rather be quoted as every Indian teenager's dream car - Like what the Testarossa and Countach were to the Yankees.
Fact is if you drive it today, it would be hard to impress you as most cars are modified and it is difficult to find a car in stock condition with the suspension and steering working like new. Even after that it is nowhere compared to modern cars. But for sure you will love to hear that engine throb and overall feel of the car which makes it so desirable.

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-x_vauxhall-victor-1972-1800-side.jpg
Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-54ventorassvximages.jpg

118NE is a bit difficult to maintain and if you don't get the things in order it becomes a nightmare -Reliability then becomes a question. Otherwise a very satisfying car to drive and own. Again comparing to modern cars, suspension, gear-shift quality (what most people love) and overall drivability is a notch down.

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-dsc_0048.jpg
Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-1490288916835.jpg

What I believe for any classic car, people have memories from the day and when you relieve them today in front of an example, you will be surprised how modern cars have spoilt us. No more you will find it spacious or the ride smooth and cushier as they were only good in those days. But yes they have a charm and character of their own which most modern passenger cars lack today.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 12:09   #80
BHPian

The 80s signified the modernization of cars in India, especially after the Maruti 800 was launched. The 70s Ambassador and Premier Padmini were true classics with the chrome details and old school meters. Modernization of the interiors and engines killed their charm in a way. It is a dream to own one- preferably the Fiat 1100.I have already owned a Maruti 800 for more than 10 years and a Gypsy till recently. The dolphin and standard 2000 were quite unreliable and will be impossible to maintain so they are a no for me.
It’s a close call between the Contessa and the 118 NE but I did find the 118 NE to be much nicer to drive. Back then after I got my license I would often take rides in my friends fathers NE. It had A high revving though noisy engine and a super slick gearshift. The reverse opening bonnet was really cool! I would paint it white and do it up with twin round front headlamps, alloy wheels and remove the bumpers. Will be tough to maintain though.
My vote goes for the 118 NE.

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-premier118167431640x403.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2020 at 19:18. Reason: Typos fixed. Picture inserted in-line.
Old 30th October 2020, 21:11   #81
BHPian

Like GTO predicted most of us have voted for the Contessa including me. The Ambassador is a great car and the most exhaustively used car in India. Whether the politicians in Delhi or us commoner in Calcutta we all have been awed by the versality of the Amby.

When I was a child and there were few cars to choose. The Amby was the politician’s car followed by the Padmini which was ever one’s work horse for the Seth to the Taxi walla. We were regularly ferried in the Amby from Howrah to Entally market every summer for our vacations and the only thing I remember is the smell of grease. The niche was either the Standard or the Contessa. The Contessa was the Mustang we used to dream about. It used to evoke in me simulations in the groin like owning a RD 350. It was the Pamela poster in my room and the Red Ducati. I knew it was never possible for me to be with Pamela or own the Ducati. But the Contessa and the RD were fair game.

I had a chance to sit ins an ISUZU powered Contessa and it was pure bliss. It was so much more than the Padmini our family owned. I loved it.

Like they say first love can never be compared. No matter how many divorces you have first love is first love.
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post

I would select others and go for the Tata Estate (I know, when did you see one right). I know its slow, biblically unreliable when it was launched yes. But now since most of the parts, relays, electrics are common with the Sumo, spare parts availability shouldn't be a problem. Always had a soft spot for this car and wanted to own one (no Sierra, as I want 4 doors).
Even with the parts available my Estate used to spend a quater every year in th garage. It was a great car but unfortunately too ahead of its time. If they launch one now i will blindly buy it. Have tons of great memories iwth it. that is when it worked.
Old 31st October 2020, 15:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Padmini S1 for me. It was the first floor shift Padmini. The rust issues were resolved in this model.
Close second would be the Ambassador because it is still in operation in Kolkata and spares are available. I loved the 118NE but the rusting issues were too expensive to fix.
Same here. Although the first car I drove was my father's Ambassador Mark 3, the first car I bought was a Padmini and I loved driving her for 6 years. It was just fantastic all rounder.
Old 31st October 2020, 18:02   #84
BHPian

Gypsy wins - when you mate mind (easy to procure and maintain) and heart (capability and the looks).

Heart alone - Contessa definitely.
Old 1st November 2020, 19:34   #85
BHPian

My father had bought the next model of sipani dolphin named Montanna in 1991.Within a week ,the horrors started .The clutch plate and fan belt was gone within 30 days leaving us struck in the middle of nowhere.

Within 15000 kms the engine was overhauled .The local dealer in chandigarh named Dewan Motors and its employees would put skoda ASCs to shame.Somehow ,the vehicle was sold out after 8 years for a princely sum of Rs 10000 to one of my uncles. IMHO, very difficult to consider it a modern classic by myself .

I have voted for gypsy .The official vehicle of my father used to be a Gypsy King HT and I have been driven many times and I have also driven it many times .One of the vehicle was a brand new one alloted in 2001.It's production been stopped has led to it achieving a nearly cult status .

Would like to own a gypsy and keep it in stock condition.
Old 1st November 2020, 22:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Contessa to the the modern classic I would like to own, albeit in a 4-door Challenger (with RR inspired suicide doors) sort of design.

My only memory or ride in Contessa (immaculately maintained) is driving (flying low) down the Mathura Road after crossing Palwal towards Delhi at 160 with 3 adults & 2 kids around 3 decades ago. We were thrilled, but the seniors were scared for some reason. However, it was the Himachali driver who managed this stunt & made us reach home safely. Honestly, it was supremely comfortable (never ridden a MB or RR till date) & cannot compare anything to the same (except cousin's Safari, but for body roll).
Old 2nd November 2020, 03:42   #87
BHPian

All these cars are legends. As a kid and teenager, I got privilege to ride in some of them like Contessa, Amby, 800, Gypsy, Omni, Padmini as they were owned either by my family or by our close relatives. In fact, I learned driving on my dad’s 1999 Maruti Suzuki 800.
But I’ll choose Gypsy here and it’s due to emotional reasons. It was the first ever SUV owned by my dad. It got reputation for bullet proof reliability, can go anywhere and used by our great Armed forces to protect our nation. Dad sold ours in 2016 after owning it for almost 12 years and after doing more than 1,50,000 Kms on it. We still miss our Black Beast.
Old 1st January 2021, 13:11   #88
BHPian

It has to be none other than the CONTESSA.

The CONTESSA has been my crush since school days. There was one owned by a popular builder in our locality and was parked by the road side during evening. While returning from school by walk, I slowed my pace as I approached the parked beauty, and spent few minutes standing beside her and staring at it with occasional glimpse of the interiors as it had curtains through out.
It was on a annual day at our college that a politician guest had arrived from Bangalore in a white Contessa, which was parked at the lobby unattended. Mind me I skipped the entire function while sitting alone on the steps of the lobby glaring only at the beautiful machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks