Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?
I like it 76 13.45%
I'm neutral 100 17.70%
I don't like it 389 68.85%
Voters: 565. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:17   #61
BHPian

Re: What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?

My option would've been no.

It may seem weird, but for me only the Getz has been attractive among all Hyundai models I've seen, along with the outgoing Creta to some extent.

Looks are not a criteria for my buying preference though. They're perhaps the last item in my checklist
chinchu.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:28   #62
BHPian

Extreme no! No offence to any existing owners, but I find most Hyundai designs other than the i20, Verna & Elantra (all Fluidic 1st and 2nd), Tucson & Santa Fe (previous gen) and Creta (first facelift) very unpleasant. I guess *bold* means different things to different people. Special mention to current Creta and the Verna facelift right before the Fluidic one as looking "weird".

Last edited by vsbabu : 22nd October 2020 at 12:28. Reason: typo
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

I voted - 'I don't like it'.

I feel the oversized grille designs in the new Hyundais look hideous and will lose their novelty soon. The old Hyundai designs looked simple but there was an elegance in those designs. We have owned a 2001 Accent GLX, 2009 i20, 2007 Santro GLX, 2014 Grand i10 and 2015 i10 over the years.

Inspite of having a troubled ownership experience with the i20, I still find the first gen i20 attractive but absolutely hate the looks of the new i20!!!! I have similar feelings towards the new Grand i10.

There was a time when we bought Hyundai cars solely because of the excellent service centre in Mangalore(Advaith). But I do not feel like buying a Hyundai now simply because I hate the new Hyundai designs.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 22nd October 2020 at 12:36.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:30   #64
BHPian

Voted NO.

The current gen cars of Hyundai seem to be made too quirky, may be just to stand out? I don't get it. Their designs don't seem to age well according to me. I still like the design of the Xing, old i10, Grand i10 and even the old Accent but not most of the other cars. Too many unwanted lines, colours, patterns, bling and what not. The car that still puts me off the most is definitely the Aura now. The only design that I seem okay about is the Venue right now. But I must mention their interior quality is amazing. Even my 6 year old Eon's interiors are solid and rattle-free.

I sure don't seem to be buying any of the current Hyundai cars. I'm reserving my comments on the i20 until it actually launches.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO !

After good engine-gearbox combo, 2nd thing I look forward to is the interior as most of the time I'll be spending in there.

However outside design of the car also matters to some extent. But this new design language is going a bit out of proportion. Especially these oversized grills. I am really no a fan of these oversized grills. It's not only Hyundai, but some others like BMW, Lexus, Toyota, and now joining them is Nissan-Datsun to name a few.

Another trend I noticed is DRL's getting bigger & bigger. In some cases I find DRLs are looking bigger the Headlamps.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

I am divided. I dislike Creta but I liked the new i20! Its the cars with confusing headlight placement that cause polarizing opinion.
I believe it was Jeep with their 2013-2014 Cherokee model that brought split headlight/turn signal design to market and made popular. I remember that was the first car which made looking at front facia truly difficult. One wouldn't know where to concentrate since the "eyes" were so unconventionally placed.
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:02   #67
BHPian

I cannot vote for some reason.I would have voted NO.While some of the designs are futuristic, majority are borderline wacky & weird.While reviewing the new AURA, most online reviewers were almost avoiding mentioning the rear section.As for the new i20, I find the rear bumper (particularly in white color) with too many cuts and creases similar to a forgotten fashion trend.

Mods, please remove image if found indecent.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-smartselect_20201019123943_chrome.jpg  

What do you think of Hyundai's new design language?-151211122627highschoolstudentsjailedoversaggingpantstennesseepkg00001004full169.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2020, 13:12   #68
BHPian

I presume atleast for Indian market, Hyundai wants to downgrade its design aesthetics and portray their design capabilities in their other son "KIA". Slap KIA with much more bling and create a new market ( which they have already achieved). Hyundai as an established brand is getting usual sales from existing market, while KIA has already stormed in and grabbed its own share. Its a deliberate show from the house of Hyundai.

Eg. Suppose Nestle wants to create new premium variety of Maggie. It comes out with improved flavor and brands it atta, curry, spice, etc. Launches it and grabs some market share from competitors. It may cannibalize its own classic maggie masala, but still enjoys an extra sales that otherwise would have been taken by its competitors. The classic maggie may look old, bland to a few and they will try new flavors, while still many prefer not to risk with new ones and stick to classic.

This is what Hyundai is doing here. Hyundai models will have the same sale with odd designs and grabs the classic "Just for brand sake" customers. Those who wants to try modern, fresh, new, variety will go for KIA.

Same what suzuki did with Nexa but some how could not differentiate them in the products. Nexa's product does not enjoy any premium in their products.

Last edited by jeganatu : 22nd October 2020 at 13:15.
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

Design language for Hyundai???

Whaaat..? Where..? How...?

Where's the language??

It's like starting a sentence in Hindi, then switching to Spanish halfway through the sentence and finishing the sentence in Swahili - what language do you call that?

Design language for automobiles signifies a language that makes a vehicle immediately recognisable as belonging to the brand. This means you don't make over the top changes which makes a new model completely different in looks. Think Mercedes, BMW and Audi and any model will let you know it belongs to the brand.

Now think 1st gen Creta and the latest Creta. See any similarity?? Can you see the old or 2nd gen Creta anywhere?? The only thing in common is the name.

So let's not talk design language and Hyundai in the same breath.

This thread should be renamed " What do you think of Hyundai not having a design language?"

Last edited by AMG Power : 22nd October 2020 at 13:33.
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:33   #70
BHPian

Neutral for a few reasons,

1) Somehow some of their hideous designs stoke the Stockholm syndrome in me and I am starting to like them. The new Creta is a classic case, I absolutely hated the hideous Hottentot like overdone rear at launch. But now? Am definitely liking it. The Aura though never....even if I was given that car for Rs 10,000 I would say no (no offense to anyone, taste is subjective after all)

2) The Indian market takes to them like fish to water. Remember BHP'ians are the exception and not the norm. So we hate chrome, we go out of our way and spend money to dechrome our existing cars but the market absolutely totally loves that bling.

You ask the average car buyer what they think of a 'plain jane' Rapid vs a blinged up idk Aura in terms of looks and chances are 90% of the time it will be the Aura. Our market takes the already blingy chromed up cars and goes to the aftermarket and adds more chrome, stickering, spoilers etc etc. So as far as India goes, Hyundai knows exactly what it is doing.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:04   #71
BHPian

Voted simply no.Infact they have messed up their designs.The fluidic designs were their best ones with fluidic Elantra being the best one.In current generation all cars are a simply odd looking ones.
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:25   #72
BHPian

voted dont like it.

sorry. i just cannot get over the Creta design.

I love the interior of the creta having driven it. But the front and the rear.. sorry. just doesn't work for me.
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:33   #73
BHPian

Voted Neutral.

Personally, I feel there have been both good and bad designs from Hyundai. For example, I like Venue and Elite i20, but don't like Nios, the new i20, and Aura. But, I think all manufacturers have models that have looked weird. What about the rear of Ritz and Brio? Personaly, I dislike some models like the front face of Amaze, Nexon's rear end, etc. No offense to owners, this is just my personal opinion.

The only good design that is etched in my mind is of the Punto (not Evo). Though, I never could own one.
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:36   #74
BHPian

Voted neutral.

I find Hyundai has a recognizable design language across vehicles of
1. joining the tail lamps across the boot with a strip
2. Hexagonal grills
3. Similar central console placement and layout

Except the tail lamp bit, I find the rest of their design practices good.
Old 22nd October 2020, 14:52   #75
BHPian

Couldn't vote, but would have voted for "I don't like it". This is actually a very subjective question. I prefer my car to have the standard structure wrt headlamps, tail lights and front grill and then you can play around a little with the DRLs, fog lamps etc.

I feel they have overdone :-
1. front grill of the new Verna
2. Rear of new i20 and Creta
3. Re-jigged headlamp setup on both Venue and Creta

I personally absolutely loathe the looks of the new Creta, but if we look at it from Hyundai's POV, the majority customer in this segment wants to buy a car that has massive road presence and stands out in the crowd. In that way, the polarizing looks of Creta does attract such customers. Also, I feel Hyundai had the luxury of experimenting with the Creta given that it doesn't have any major competitor apart from Seltos.

In the Sedan segment, they could have done away with that massive grille and the coupe like styling. Sedan customers are a lot more conventional IMO and would prefer increased back seat space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks