Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 14:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's SUV & Crossover plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023

Maruti Suzuki plans an array of SUV's, one SUV per every 6 months till 2023. To strengthen pole position as competition gets tough.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India plans to introduce a slew of new sport utility vehicle (SUVs) models over the next couple of years as it seeks to straddle the segment with multiple product offerings at varied price points,

Quote:
Will have one model at a price gap of Rs 45,000 to Rs 50,000, like they have in the hatchback segment

Name:  m.PNG
Views: 5940
Size:  135.7 KB

- First will be a new multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) which is being co-developed with Toyota - Suzuki's alliance partner. The model will also wear a Toyota badge- 2021

- Followed by the new Vitara Brezza in 2022.

- Second half of 2022/23 will see the launch of a mid-sized SUV that will rival the Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos.

-A crossover pitted against the Tata Nexon will also go on sale in 2022.

-The first of 2023 will get a Made In India Jimny. ( 5 door?)

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th October 2020 at 14:18.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti's SUV & Crossover plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
- Followed by the new Vitara Brezza in the first half of 2022.

-A crossover pitted against the Tata Nexon will also go on sale in 2022.
A Vitara replacement against the Sonet and a separate Nexon rival? Aren't all of these in the same segment?

Unless Maruti Suzuki is aiming at NEXA and Arena versions of the new Brezza (which could also become a third option with the new Urban Cruiser).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A Vitara replacement against the Sonet and a separate Nexon rival? Aren't all of these in the same segment?
Seems to be catering to the Coupe and the CUV style with differential pricing . Coupe seems to be like the VW NIVUS, I guess.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:29   #4
BHPian

Dear Maruti, first get a BS-VI diesel into the market. Then talk about SUVs every 6 months.

What's the point of sub-4m CSUV when you can't take advantage of tax bracket because you plonk a 1.5l petrol engine into it? At least give a full size SUV

Last edited by srvm : 14th October 2020 at 14:31.
srvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 21:50   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 2067654

- First will be a new multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) which is being co-developed with Toyota - Suzuki's alliance partner. The model will also wear a Toyota badge- 2021

A Marazzo rival will sink without a trace if it launches without a Diesel, so if there's one takeaway from this chart, it is that we will get a Diesel engine by mid 2021.

Is this cart only for MUVs and SUVs, or is it for the whole company? Because if I were Suzuki, the two products on my priority list would be the new Baleno (which will be slaughtered once the new i20 is launched) and the new Ciaz (which is slowly dropping like a stone in water, every single month)
turbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 22:39   #6
BHPian

Line up and sequence would be possibly as follows based on 6-7 year Suzuki vehicle replacement track record:
New Celerio - Early 2021
New Baleno - Late 2021 or Early 2022
New Alto - Late 2021
New Brezza - Auto Expo 2022 (with 1.5L Diesel BS6??)
New 5 Door or 3 Door Jimmy - Sometime in 2022
New S Cross (Creta / Seltos rival) - Sometime in 2022 or 2023
New MPV (Possibly Innova sized) - 2023
New Swift and Dzire - Somewhere in 2024-25
Futuro-E based couple of EVs would come along somewhere down the line or in between would be my guess
Carma2017 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 23:25   #7
BHPian

So we wait,

1.5 years for a Nexon rival. Hope they don’t give a hatch on stilts.
2 years for a Seltos/Creta rival.Guess the Koreans will be
2.5 years for a lifestyle product, Thar by then would be THOR.(a God)

I still love my 1st gen Swift Zxi, not a fan of the carmaker though thanks to their offerings and missed opportunities in recent times.The news is exciting but the time frames are lame.
greendream is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 00:46   #8
BHPian

When it comes to actual.launch it would be like this:
Nexon rival: Celerio (facelift) cross
Sonet rival: Brezza facelift that will move on to Nexa
Creta/seltos rival: Scross facelift with few additional features
Marazzo rival: XL 7
All with 1.5 L petrol with 4 speed prehistoric TC AT
Nav-i-gator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 01:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

According to Maruti S-presso and Ignis are SUVs, so guys keep your expectation low.
Latheesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:21   #10
BHPian

I wonder why do I always find a lot of BHPians being toxic about Maruti whenever a thread about their future plans is posted!

Anyways, the news is definitely exciting. And when we consider that these cars will be based on the Toyota Raize (for the SUVs) and Toyota Venza(for the MPV), the safety part is definitely not skeptical, unlike some of the other Marutis!
(Based on the previous rumours!)

Also, since some of these products are going to be in the C2 segment, the return of a diesel engine can be expected so as to give them an even more competitive product. (Innova's 2.4 for the MPV? Possible, considering the MPV will be sold by both Toyota and Maruti!)

Also Maruti saying 2 separate cars in the same segment?? I'm expecting some Arena-Nexa story here as was suggested by rumors earlier!

Though, I really hope Maruti dumps the 4 speed AT for a new 6 speed torque convertor(No DCT shit!) and gives these cars 6 airbags and a little more safety kit in the form of T=traction control and hill hold control etc. for both manual and automatic gearboxes!
theAutomaniac is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
I wonder why do I always find a lot of BHPians being toxic about Maruti whenever a thread about their future plans is posted!
Nothing toxic here. As you rightly pointed out in the latter part, it is all about how a vision is translated into strategy and then actions that matters.
Simply put, is Maruti clear on the immediate goals? We're clear that they should bring a diesel engine, and a competent auto box. Not a big, complicated ask. Now the question is, do they have a plan? If not, what credibility does a far more ambitious plan has?
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

They talk about SUVs all the while and Grand Vitara is not even in the plan. That is easily 'THE SUV' in the Suzuki line up globally. Wait - India still may be the 3rd world country for Suzuki to launch a global product worth that much dough.
swiftnfurious is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 12:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti's SUV & Crossover plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
They talk about SUVs all the while and Grand Vitara is not even in the plan. That is easily 'THE SUV' in the Suzuki line up globally.
True. The Grand Vitara is easily one of the best looking Suzukis.
A wow looking GV I spotted in Japan in 2008. From my Japan carlogue (Dodging Bullets and drooling over Ferraris in Japan)

Maruti's SUV & Crossover plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023-gv.jpg

Given that the GV's dimensions are more or less around what the Seltos/Jeep/Duster etc are (give and take a few cms here & there), is this the Creta/Seltos rival mentioned in the opening post ? With nice competent petrol/diesel engines, this would be a welcome offering.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th October 2020 at 12:22.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 18:49   #14
BHPian

Re: Maruti's SUV plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Nothing toxic here. As you rightly pointed out in the latter part, it is all about how a vision is translated into strategy and then actions that matters.
By that toxic part, I was pointing out how some just mention how Maruti might introduce a Celerio on stilts in the name of a Tata Nexon rival and a XL6 with extra seats as a more premium MPV, despite the fact that the original post mentions that the MPV will be co-developed with Toyota.

Quote:
Simply put, is Maruti clear on the immediate goals?
Their immediate goal should be strengthening their already strong poles i.e. hatchbacks so as to keep the company going until they come up with new and modern SUVs and premium cars. And with upcoming Celerio, Alto etc, I feel they are going on the right path.

Quote:
We're clear that they should bring a diesel engine, and a competent auto box. Not a big, complicated ask. Now the question is, do they have a plan? If not, what credibility does a far more ambitious plan has?
I'll tell you what, Maruti is amongst the weakest automakers right now!
Their parent company is sitting idle from past 2 years and has not launched a single new product anywhere globally(S-Presso was developed by Maruti!)

Diesel engine?
Well, if they get a diesel engine in the future, it will most probably be a Toyota engine or something amongst the Multijets! Simply because their parent company, Suzuki doesn't have any expertise in making diesels whatsoever!

A competent autobox
I'd blame the customer here who gets fooled every time and keeps buying these age old autoboxes! And if the customer keeps buying these, why would a company which runs after profits, introduce something new?

What I believe is, that since our market has begun shifting from smaller to bigger cars, the only way MS can keep themselves relevant is by depending on Toyota for future product development and I'm saying this because their parent company has literally no car platform ready to accommodate bigger cars!

Yes Suzuki has made quite a lot of good big cars in the name of the Vitara, XL7 and Kizashi. However, the magic of these cars has gone away with them and Suzuki has literally not even tried to recreate the magic of the trio!

So, yes if Maruti has any messiah, it's Toyota or none when the shift to bigger cars happens!
In fact, Suzuki's poor condition is the only reason I'm positive about the Suzuki-Toyota partnership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
They talk about SUVs all the while and Grand Vitara is not even in the plan. That is easily 'THE SUV' in the Suzuki line up globally. Wait - India still may be the 3rd world country for Suzuki to launch a global product worth that much dough.
Isn't the original Grand Vitara discontinued and the current Vitara too is due for a replacement next year?

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 15th October 2020 at 18:55.
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 19:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti's SUV & Crossover plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023

Hope Maruti will put some emphasis on safety too. On some models, after a not so major accident, owners were compelled to believe on crumple zone theory. Being the leading Indian car manufacturer why Maruti can't lead the way on safety?
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks