Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 08:13   #121
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh

Last week picked up Urban Cruiser to replace my Dad’s 2012 Figo which ran 214k kilometers . Urban Cruiser was not there in my initial short listed cars. With Ex Showroom 9.99 price limit, primary contenders were Ecosport Diesel Titanium, XUV 300 W6 and fall back option as S-CROSS.
Unfortunately Ford decided to wrap India operations, my booking and dream of owning Ecosport went out of the window. With my budget XUV 300 came only with bare bones. For one million rupee car, Mahindra is not offering rear defogger, wiper and driver seat height adjustment. So dropped XUV 300 and finalized and booked S-CROSS Zeta variant. While waiting for delivery, decided to check out Urban Cruiser. One lengthy test drive of Urban Cruiser had completely changed my perspective of Urban Cruiser.

After driving 300KM in a week’s time, sharing my initial observation

Pros :

Commanding View from front seats, Dad and my spouse appreciate the view from driver seat and ease of Ingress/Egress.
Good space management, comfortable 4 seater for long distance travel and can accommodate occasional 5th passenger.
NVH levels are big unexpected surprise for me, up to 80 KMPH not much engine or road noise. Max I have driven the car is up to 100 KMPH, at 100 KMPH there is a slight engine note and road noise. Nothing to complaint, coming Figo Diesel, I’m in bliss with respect to NVH .
Drivability – Excellent , almost similar to my Figo/Fiesta diesel up to 40 KMPH. In 5th gear you can go as low as 1200 RPM, no engine knocking or Vibrations, as name suggest it will be an excellent Urban cruiser. On Highways it has adequate power.
Mileage – I’m averaging 17.2 Km/l, most of my drives were in state highways , speed varying between 55 - 80 KMPH. I’m confident of achieving 17+ mileage in highway trips. In a 50 KM trip with no traffic I was able to achieve 21 Km/l.
Toyota Service – Expecting better service experience than Maruti Suzuki .
4 star crash rated vehicle.

Neutral :

Found Urban Cruiser interiors are at acceptable level when compared to Figo.
Ride quality is ok, better than my Figo but feels little stiff when compared to my Fiesta.
Handling – Body roll is well contained, no butterflies in the stomach while taking corners at considerable speed.
Urban Cruiser comes with Apollo Alnac 4G tyres. Have fair bit of ownership experience with Apollo Alnac in Fiesta so decided to continue with factory fitted tyres .
AC is good , not a bone chiller like Figo but its adequate.
I bought High variant which doesn’t come with Tweeters. Audio quality is just ok, will be upgrading to better speakers down the line.

Con:

No steering feel or feedback , its weighs up adequately on high speeds. But after enjoying Figo/Fiesta’s hydraulic steering over 150K kilometers, I’m still making some adjustments and come to terms with steering behavior.
No separate switch to open boot.
No rear AC vent.
No ESC and 6 Air bag options.

It’s a head over heart decision, Urban Cruiser will be our primary family hauler, as of now it looks like Urban cruiser is up to the task. Urban Cruiser/Brezza can share the “Jack of all trades” title in compact SUV space and that might be reason even with only single engine option, it finds plenty of takers.

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-uc.jpg
rainmaster is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 18:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

Urban Cruiser owners, any feedback on whether these rebadged Marutis match up to the Toyota reputation of absolute reliability and service?

Toyota India would like to keep their brand reputation I’m sure, and such customer feedback will do much to inform prospective buyers.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:39   #123
BHPian

Ford wrapping up car production in India, EcoSport was my first choice, BS6 diesels are problematic for predominantly city drives, I am inching towards Vitara Brezza, again a head over heart decision (which may happen).
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 13:07   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Urban Cruiser owners, any feedback on whether these rebadged Marutis match up to the Toyota reputation of absolute reliability and service?

Toyota India would like to keep their brand reputation I’m sure, and such customer feedback will do much to inform prospective buyers.
I am using Glanza, which is rebadged Baleno since February this year. Glanza replaced my eight-year old Etios Liva Diesel.

Though I miss the "purr" of the diesel engine, I have no complaints with Glanza so far. It's a Maruti car, there is no doubt about that. The VIN of my car confirms that it is a Maruti and not a Toyota.

I would assume that these cars will be as reliable as a Maruti car. Toyota service is superb, my experience with Toyota Service centre had always been excellent.
subratasenn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 15:37   #125
BHPian

Update after 40 days / 4000 Km ownership of Urban Cruiser

Engine Performance :

I usually drive around 60 - 80 Km/Hr in state highways and 90-100 Km/Hr in national highways, engine has adequate power for my needs. I definitely miss the midrange punch from diesel torque, particularly when car is fully loaded, I have to plan my overtakes. I’m driving petrol car after a decade of Diesel cars ownership. For those who are planning to move away from Diesel to petrol cars, turbo petrol might give satisfying driving experience but NA petrol’s doesn’t provide enough excitement/fun. It’s a commuter engine, will take you from point A to point B without any fuss.
1.5 NA engine wins back some of the points lost in drivability with refinement. Up to 100 Km/Hr, engine is smooth, almost silent, much better than Figo/Fiesta diesel engines.

NVH – Very much satisfied with NVH levels. Wind noise is well controlled and depending on road surface, road/tyre noise varies, Nothing to complain.

Mileage – My mileage reference is based on several long drives I did in Urban Cruiser.

• Best – 22 Km/l
• Worst – 10.9 Km/l – Heavy rain , both front and back wipers with defogger was used for entire 100 Km journey
• Average – 17 KM/l measured with Tank full method
• 100% AC on with temperature setting set to 24 – 26 Degree Celsius

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-20211028_224348.jpg

Best part I love in Urban Cruiser is the LED projector headlamp. Not only it looks cool but the amount of respect you get from opposite lane cars/Mini vans and heavy vehicle are immense. I do lot of late night drives, LED lights gives fantastic visibility and makes night driving more enjoyable and safe.

What could have been better :

Seats – Wish both front and back seats length could have been couple of inches more. Long drives clearly highlights the lack of under thigh support. Finding idle driving position was an another challenge. We found a good seat position after multiple trials and after 3000 KM finally found the right setting. I have owned multiple cars , never struggled to find a comfortable positions, all it took was couple of trails and adjustments , I guess Maruti tried to save some money or increase the space by cutting down length of the seats. I haven’t seen much complaints on Brezza seats in internet/forum, not sure it’s only me who is finding difficult with Brezza / Urban Cruiser seat settings.

Added aftermarket seat covers with additional padding to improve seat comfort.
Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-20211013_152631.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-20211013_152640.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20211013wa0022.jpg

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-img20211013wa0021.jpg

Missing Sixth gear – Definitely miss the sixth gear during long high way trips. Sixth gear could have given engine a relaxing high way drive with good fuel efficiency.
Hope second generation Urban Cruiser/Brezza comes with better seats, Sixth gear and continue with the same platform.

Will create a separate ownership thread after covering 10,000 KM to share my experience and findings.

In my short ownership found that NA petrol's are not a replacements for Diesel . Planning to replace my Fiesta around 200k mileage, current running at 190k, replacement will definitely be a preowned diesel car.
rainmaster is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 01:14   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

A South African journalist recently posted this, and I was shocked to read this!

Looks like the Urban Cruiser is doing well in SA, mind you the Suzuki Brezza is also sold in South Africa.

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-168bb49a17b5407bb05b407cb5974856.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 12:54   #127
BHPian

Test drove the Urban Cruiser today.

A few observations.

1. Car felt nice to drive.
2. It felt more of an evolution for someone accustomed to driving a K10 vehicle. 1st and 2nd gears were quite short and very unlike the K12 like gearing I had anticipated. The vehicle stalled when I tried to go under 15km in 2nd gear. I wonder if this is going to require constant gear shifting in B2B traffic.
3. The rear seat has a nice recline. It is narrow and the middle passenger will find his/her leg squeezed between the seat and the front arm rest, and will struggle to keep it over and on side of the hump in the middle.
4. Ride quality felt okayish. I have tested various cars (between 8-10L) on the same stretch of bad road and felt that Altroz was the pick of the lot.

Overall, the experience was decent. It didnt really put a smile on my face (Nexon, Altroz or even Celerio did).
anandmv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 10:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

Is there any difference in the service costs between the Toyota and the Maruti cars? Is the Urban Crusier cheaper to service considering it is suppose to be a Toyota or it as much as a Maruti Brezza only?
Old 14th April 2022, 14:14   #129
BHPian

Good afternoon friends. Having issue with my UC Air conditioning. The compressor keeps turning off and on very frequently while driving. I can hear the compressor turning on very few seconds during driving (music off) and the difference can be felt in air coming from the vents also. I will be visiting ASC on Saturday.
Any idea guys what could be the issue?
Old 14th April 2022, 15:23   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Good afternoon friends. Having issue with my UC Air conditioning. The compressor keeps turning off and on very frequently while driving. I can hear the compressor turning on very few seconds during driving (music off) and the difference can be felt in air coming from the vents also. I will be visiting ASC on Saturday.
AC top-up and through wash of the filter and condenser radiator.
This should do, get a FNG car AC guy to do it.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 16:16   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is there any difference in the service costs between the Toyota and the Maruti cars? Is the Urban Crusier cheaper to service considering it is suppose to be a Toyota or it as much as a Maruti Brezza only?
I know this reply is quite late in the coming. But I wanted to leave this here so that it is useful to any others with the same query.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...r-balenos.html (Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's)

Bottomline - Toyota seems to be pricing spares higher than Maruti in rebadged cars.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 16:29   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
I have noticed the exact same issue in my new Innova Crysta
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5291919 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)

I consulted the service center and they told this is normal and I could see the same pattern in another car which came for service. Other members on the forum also feel this is a 'Toyota thingy' to save fuel or prevent condensation.

But I still feel this is very awkward.

Last edited by poloman : 14th April 2022 at 16:31.
Old 18th April 2022, 11:37   #133
BHPian

Completed 10000 km in 6 months, quick update on Urban Cruiser ownership experience.

Engine had opened up well, its smooth, rev happy and pleasure to drive. Big thumps up on refinement level. Power delivery is fine for my Dad but oomph factor is missing for me. It’s not an exciting engine but does the job well for average Joe. Under full load in state/undivided highways, have to plan my overtakes. I’m driving petrol cars after 10 years of Diesel car ownership in India, miss diesel torque in some of the similar situations.
Fuel Efficiency : Overall FE hovers around 15.5 KMPL, With respect to mileage, Urban Cruiser hates city traffic, worst I have got 10 – 12 KMPL in city conditions and best around 18-22 in highways/ideal driving conditions.
Ride: Ride quality seems to be better than my SCROSS 1.6, body roll is well contained , overall good balance between ride & handling. Couldn’t match the of Fiesta’s poise but Dad and myself are not getting younger anymore , will take additional ground clearance and higher seating position than a sharp handling low slung sedan.
NVH :Engine noise almost nil , on highways up to 100 KMPH NVH levels are well within acceptable level. After 100 , there is definite increase in road and wind noise. Not a major complaint but could have done better insulation.

Completed second service, no complaints whatsoever, everything is working as expected, one of the primary reason to pick Urban Cruiser for my Dad, no nonsense car. Urban Cruiser in current avatar is a great car and the upcoming facelift will be a great pick for anyone looking for Just fill it forget it type cars.

Toyota Urban Cruiser launched at Rs. 8.40 lakh-ucservice1.jpg

Big thumps up to Toyota Express Service , utilized for last two services. Scheduled service appointments via Toyota I Connect app, customer longue and experience is good, usually you can pick up the car in 2-3 hours after dropping it for Service.
rainmaster is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:47   #134
BHPian

Any idea if Urban Cruiser will be getting a generation update inline with new Brezza in 2022? We have been seeing a lot of spy pics of Maruti Brezza but none of Urban Cruiser
Old 31st May 2022, 12:52   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer16 View Post
Any idea if Urban Cruiser will be getting a generation update inline with new Brezza in 2022? We have been seeing a lot of spy pics of Maruti Brezza but none of Urban Cruiser
Haven't seen any news on the supposed UC update based on the new BREZZA. I have a hunch that maybe Toyota will repeat what they did with the Innova. Innova >> Innova Crysta (Generation update and also increased the price to reach a different segment).
So, maybe the Creta/Seltos competitor would be named as Urban Cruiser Hyryder and will target the segment above the present UC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks