Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Re: My company's modern petrol pump design project!

Great Job!

Once BPCL gets acquired by a private company by next year might get to see evenmore innovations in the coming few years due to increased competition.
Old 21st September 2020, 11:19   #17
BHPian

I always wondered why these big honking canopies can't be solar canopies. Will serve two purposes. This way the pumps can work even when there's a long power outage.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Nice designs, they look super cool.

I sometimes wonder, why don't we have 7-Eleven type petrol bunks in India. Like a fuel station with convenience store for food, drinks etc on highways would be cool.
I think we already have this in shell. At-least here in Bangalore. You can refill your vehicle, and grab a quick bite of samosa and a hot cup of filter coffee.

Wide range of snacks and smokes also available.
mbilung is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 16:11   #19

I have seen Shell keeping a decent convenience store, and a small bakery at most of their pumps. They bring some baked goods to the car as well while you fill up. Shell does seem to have a very professional crew throughout my experience. The windshield cleaning service is something that I haven't seen for a while in the other companies in recent times.
apoorvpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 23:51   #20

Those seem like great designs - are there any structural/process changes that your team has also implemented? Anything that will help streamline the workflow of busy petrol pumps? (e.g., I've always wondered if tyre reflation can be done while getting petrol filled - will just be quicker and easier, no?)

Re: convenience stores - my guess is it's driven by consumer expectations and land costs.
Given most consumers won't get out of their car to fill petrol, they have even lesser incentive to make the trek to buy conveniences.
With land costs high, it makes little sense for petrol pumps to have dedicated parking for convenience store visitors - they'd rather just add more pumps to get more revenue.

In North America, convenience stores are one of the only ways for gas stations to make money - most of them make zero money from actual gas sales.
iamwhatiam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Nice designs, they do look really nice. I hope there is provision for Electric Charging and possibly Hydrogen storage in the future.
If we can properly have these in our bunks.
People will convert to EVs and no longer have the excuse of range. and no infrastructure. It shouldn't take long.

really great builds OP. truly a sight to behold
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 03:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

A little more shelter for the fuel attendants, customers for the pumps that are closer to the road will go a long way in keeping them dry on a rainy day, or offer protection on a sweltering day. The roof over hang for the L beam gas station seems too short to provide any shelter.

What kind of fire suppression systems have you installed?

These look grand and well executed.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:08   #23
BHPian

I have worked with the oil major Bharat Petroleum for more than a decade. We had 'IN & OUT' convenience store. But it didn't perform well as per company expectation. The reasons attributed to it:

1. It was operated by the same dealer who ran the petrol bunk (in most cases)
2. Parking was an issue in most of the city outlets.
3. Still majority of the customers don't prefer shopping there.
4. Limited spread of items.

Also, most of the petrol bunks had service centers initially which were closed down as it was making the outlets dirty. Then post 2010 again companies were trying to bring back the service centers back into outlets and by that time the clientele got shifted to other options for washing and oil changes.
Petrol bunk dealers are already bogged down (not everyone though) with their daily chores.

Last edited by Silver Knight : 22nd September 2020 at 09:10.
Silver Knight is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks