Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2020, 11:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI is now available with an automatic transmission option. It is available in 5 variants and prices start Rs. 9.49 lakh (ex-showroom).

Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-2020skodarapidtsi01.jpg

The Rapid Automatic is powered by a 999cc, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine that develops 109 BHP @ 5,000 – 5,500 rpm and 175 Nm @ 1,750 – 4,000 rpm. It is mated to a 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission. The claimed fuel efficiency of the Rapid AT is 16.24 km/l.

Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-2020skodarapidtsi02.jpg

The 1.0-litre turbo petrol is the only engine available in the Rapid. It no longer gets a diesel engine option. Customers do get the option of a 6-speed manual transmission. The fuel efficiency of the manual version is rated at 18.97 km/l.

Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-2020skodarapidtsi10.jpg

The Rapid 1.0L TSI AT comes equipped with a 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit. Features such as front side airbags, cruise control, rear view camera, automatic headlights, rain sensing wipers and 8-inch touchscreen infotainment are available on the Style and Monte Carlo trims.

Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-2020skodarapidtsi04.jpg

Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic variant-wise prices:

• Rider Plus - Rs. 9.49 lakh
  • Ambition - Rs. 11.29 lakh
  • Onyx - Rs. 11.49 lakh
  • Style - Rs. 12.99 lakh
  • Monte Carlo - Rs. 13.29 lakh
TusharK is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 11:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

Quite disappointed with the pricing. Manual Rider plus is 7.99 and AT rider plus is 1.5L expensive than manual. This translate the OTR Bangalore to 11.5. Better to wait for 2021 Rapid instead.
Kashi053 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Too much of premium over the manual trim. The manual was a clear value for money preposition offered by Skoda whereas slushbox premium is very high.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2020 at 14:34. Reason: typo
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:44   #4
BANNED

1.5L is a near DSG like a premium for a slushbox. I haven't looked at the features list but in case there are additional features (especially passive safety such as traction control, hill hold) over it's manual counterpart and if it gets paddle shifts may be then it can be deemed just about acceptable. Given then Skoda launched the manual with a killer pricing, our expectations were a bit too high
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 13:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
1.5L is a near DSG like a premium for a slushbox. I haven't looked at the features list but in case there are additional features (especially passive safety such as traction control, hill hold) over it's manual counterpart and if it gets paddle shifts may be then it can be deemed just about acceptable.
I was looking at Carwale and even Style/Monte Carlo do not come with ESP, TC, hill hold etc.
Old 17th September 2020, 13:18   #6
BANNED

Skoda fooling themselves. They launched car at very attractive price of 7.49 and closed immediately with may be 1000-2000 max customers booking it. Now they made people interested by saying they bringing Automatic, but priced it high. 1.5 Lakhs more just for Auto gearbox is too much. Ideally it should have been around 80K more over manual. Skoda had great opportunity to pull customers with Rapid 1.0 engine but they are not grabbing it. They should have kept Rapid Rider variant at 7.49 Lakhs open at least for 6 months. Also should have priced Automatic version more sensibly.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 13:26   #7
BHPian

Well, not to worry. They will slash prices starting around Diwali. Just hold on to your wallets for a few more months.
Mad Max is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

I won't blame Skoda here. With the volumes they sell and the automatic gearbox being sourced from another firm, instead of their in-house gearboxes, 1.5 lakhs is understandable.

The Rider makes perfect sense in my opinion but the ambition onwards is pretty pricey! We're talking about a 10 year old platform.

As Mad Max had rightly said, offer time is the best time for getting any German!
Old 17th September 2020, 14:04   #9
BHPian

I was eagerly waiting for Auto variants price and in fact I was expecting Rapid AT variants to be priced around 1 L more. Also, not sure how good is this Torque Converter compared to DSG gearbox. Hopefully more reliable if not more fun to drive...!!!
Old 17th September 2020, 15:23   #10
BANNED

What a missed opportunity, when they had the option to price it at ₹ 8.99 lakh as an introductory offer! Why would a non enthusiast want to buy this when Amaze with a diesel CVT is available for lesser price, apart from the build quality I can live with that CVT. And about the build quality the majority doesn’t give a hoot. Skoda should realize they have a disadvantage with their ‘reputation’, it’s not at all easy to erase, actually it’s part of folklore now! I have to conclude that VAG has neither proper strategies nor ambitions to make it work in India. These half hearted attempts won’t take them anywhere.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 16:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

They had a chance to price Rider Plus+Auto @ 8.99 Lakhs and add ~500 units to the monthly sales figure. Rider was value for money variant, Rider plus was overpriced by a bit comparing to the Rider, and now rider plus auto really lost it. Expect some discounts within few months.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:33   #12
BHPian

Here is the updated Rapid TSI brochure with details of Automatic Variant.
No where in the brochure there has been any mention about ESC or TC or Hill Hold Assist.

Polo GT TSI at 9.67 Lakh has these safety features.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rapid-tsi-brochure.pdf (3.48 MB, 903 views)

Last edited by RaceHorse : 17th September 2020 at 17:36.
Old 17th September 2020, 17:54   #13
BHPian

If I have not mistaken, this will be the torque converter automatic transmission?
If so, the pricing is off by at least 50k IMO.
If this was the DSG, I could have still agreed, since it is a compelx technology, but it is a bit too much for a torque converter.

On another note, IF Skoda A.S.S would have been in Maruti, Hyundai, Honda territory, I could still have imagined Skoda getting away with such pricing.

To me this is a .

I might be proven wrong, but this exactly what I felt when I saw the pricing.
Old 17th September 2020, 18:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
What a missed opportunity, when they had the option to price it at ₹ 8.99 lakh as an introductory offer! Why would a non enthusiast want to buy this when Amaze with a diesel CVT is available for lesser price, apart from the build quality I can live with that CVT. And about the build quality the majority doesn’t give a hoot. Skoda should realize they have a disadvantage with their ‘reputation’, it’s not at all easy to erase, actually it’s part of folklore now! I have to conclude that VAG has neither proper strategies nor ambitions to make it work in India. These half hearted attempts won’t take them anywhere.
Rapid should be compared with City and not with Amaze. Amaze is sub 4 meter, should be compared with Dzire etc. I always felt Jazz to be more premium than Amaze. I agree the AT prices are bit high and even the ARAI figures are less than MT variant
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 18:25   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
Rapid should be compared with City and not with Amaze. Amaze is sub 4 meter, should be compared with Dzire etc. I always felt Jazz to be more premium than Amaze. I agree the AT prices are bit high and even the ARAI figures are less than MT variant
Rapid is 2 generation behind City and if you compare space and all there is no much difference with Amaze and Rapid. Its too old a car now, no point in saying it is 20 cm longer and all, the person buying cars in ₹ 8-12 lakh segment doesn’t go by size classification. He will look at all options when buying cars, even compact SUV (by true sense they can’t be called SUV!). Skoda had nothing to lose by pricing it lesser, but had lot to lose.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed