Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 13:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors to launch Camo and Dark Edition range soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
What's the point if the king can't traverse more than half the jungle due to slush and rocks?

Very disappointing move from Tata motors, especially given that Safari DiCOR and Safari Storme always had a 4x4 variant with low-range transfer case. Not sure why was this not offered on the Harrier. Does anyone have any rational explanation to this?
There was a post on some other thread that it involves heavy redesigning of some suspension components long back. I am sorry I don't recall the thread. It looks like harrier 4*4 is not on the cards for TAMO since I found this conversation today in the comments of Mr.Pratap Bose
Tata Motors to launch Camo and Dark Edition range soon-screenshot_20201106124638.png
aansh singhania is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 17:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Looks like we will have a new edition for every new color. Waiting for deep ocean edition with dark blue color and few stickers.
Old 6th November 2020, 17:10   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Very disappointing move from Tata motors, especially given that Safari DiCOR and Safari Storme always had a 4x4 variant with low-range transfer case. Not sure why was this not offered on the Harrier. Does anyone have any rational explanation to this?
As per their statistical assessment - while there are a lot of enthusiasts - nobody actually buys an AWD from Tata at a price over 20 lakhs. I think their statistical analysis is spot on. An AWD Harrier surely will be costly. Even the normal Harrier makes just about 2500 a month in sales. The % gain with an AWD will be minuscule & not worth the investment - as per Tata's assessment.

If we look at the sales numbers of XUV5oo AWD, Compass AWD/4x4, Hexa AWD - I think Tata's assessment appears to be true!

Even I wish the Harrier has an AWD. When it comes to buying one - I think I'll buy a cheaper THAR instead! Most of those who are annoyed by lack of AWD (me included) - are never going to actually buy an AWD Harrier if made available.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th November 2020 at 17:23.
Reinhard is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 18:47   #49
BHPian

The color looks real cool. If I am not wrong Safari used to come in some shade of green in early nineties. Also the accessories seems well priced. Anyone knows if those can be bought off the shelf and not necessarily only with the Harrier?
Old 6th November 2020, 20:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
As per their statistical assessment - while there are a lot of enthusiasts - nobody actually buys an AWD from Tata at a price over 20 lakhs. I think their statistical analysis is spot on. An AWD Harrier surely will be costly. Even the normal Harrier makes just about 2500 a month in sales. The % gain with an AWD will be minuscule & not worth the investment - as per Tata's assessment.

If we look at the sales numbers of XUV5oo AWD, Compass AWD/4x4, Hexa AWD - I think Tata's assessment appears to be true!

Even I wish the Harrier has an AWD. When it comes to buying one - I think I'll buy a cheaper THAR instead! Most of those who are annoyed by lack of AWD (me included) - are never going to actually buy an AWD Harrier if made available.
Indeed, spot on ! I remember about a research by Tata leadership during Harrier development that current Harrier will be able to cater 98% of off-road requirements and for remaining 2% hard core off-roading the business case does not make sense due to miniscule demand. So, a logical business decision not to launch AWD but if someone in the management plans to widen Tata's losses further will be happy to launch AWD version.
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 20:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Teaser for the upcoming Camo edition? Every jungle needs a king, says TATA Motors -

https://Youtu.be/kPo39ORNnmk
I was expecting the Harrier to jump into the water from one side and come out from the other, like the old Tata Safari ad.

The only thing which Harrier is missing is an AWD or 4x4 option. It would be a perfect SUV if given an AWD / 4x4 version. If there's an AWD or 4x4 option, this CAMO edition of Harrier will have a lot of takers from high ranking, well paid Army officers, civilian fans of Army, CAMO color fans and off road enthusiasts. A 2 inch lift kit and AT tyres on the 4x4 version will make it look much more menacing, similar to Endeavour, Fortuner and V-cross.
WhiteSierra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 20:27   #52
Team-BHP Support

Saw this on the net, it is looking beautiful. I wish Tata had provided an AWD version.

Tata Motors to launch Camo and Dark Edition range soon-image-ios-8.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansh singhania View Post
It looks like harrier 4*4 is not on the cards for TAMO since I found this conversation today in the comments of Mr.Pratap Bose
Such a lame reply that there is pretty much nowhere where the Harrier can't go!

Quote:
I think Tata's assessment appears to be true!
Tata's assessment might be correct, but putting up an ad that the king of the jungle is coming and then coming up with just a new colour and sticker job is quite sad. Though the colour is looking stunning.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 6th November 2020 at 20:39.
BlackPearl is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 20:58   #53
BHPian

I just can't understand why Tata are wasting so much Money, marketing effort and potential cred for bringing out this special edition for a vehicle that is 4x2 only.

How is this camo color scheme is going to enhance the appeal, let alone utility, on the road? This is in no way better than Maruti pasting some decals on the Swift and calling it Swift RS

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 6th November 2020 at 21:02.
Romeo_Mike is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 21:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

What I found interesting in those slides is this accurate depiction of what 'Camouflage' ought to look like. Interiors would have looked different if done up like this (Just imagine), but anyways they chose bits and pieces to reflect that. Is that enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Saw this on the net, it is looking beautiful. I wish Tata had provided an AWD version
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors to launch Camo and Dark Edition range soon-camo_9385.jpg  

Old 7th November 2020, 08:56   #55
BHPian

Love the shade. Harrier is the best suv to buy in the class, esp at this price point. Features, performance, looks, build - all are excellent once someone looks beyond the badge.

As someone who buys only AWD option in SUVs (had xuv awd and driving Hexa awd), I can say there is barely any market for AWD, leave aside full fledged 4x4. One of the reasons I picked Hexa ahead of Harrier. I wish Tata offered but it makes zero commercial sense. They would know from Safari sales all these years. Skoda didn't get their AWD Karoq, even at the eye watering ludicrous price point (great car though). There is no market for it, simple. And Tata is also right about the fact that they have done great job with electronics to make these cars perform in diverse terrains. Also, see how jtp twins sank without a trace. What a car but no one will buy it even ahead of Swift.

Hope this post is not removed as a 'tata fanboy' post. Tata and Mahindra are shaping the Indian automtive scene and I am loving it. My second car (replacement for scross) will be Nexon electric or Thar. Go Tata. Go Mahindra.

Last edited by 5kmiles : 7th November 2020 at 08:59.
5kmiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 10:15   #56
BHPian

I don't understand the sentiments of this forum. The dark edition is ok with a 4*2, a red, blue, pink edition will be fine with a front wheel drive, but hey! A forest green color should have 4*4. The moment I paint a car in this color is must travel over rocks.
And let's cut this crap about pinning for a 4*4 Harrier, even if they give a defender at 25 lakhs, most will make a beeline towards a large hatchback like seltos.
AirbusCapt is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 10:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Well said. The wish list from enthusiast community is endless, but the community itself is so small that profit margins for manufacturer are wafer thin. I actually want to see how many 4X4 vehicles are used for offroading. Not for fun outing, but serious offroading.
If I want to go offroad, I would probably choose an open hood Gypsy type vehicle rather than plush Harrier.
speedguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 10:51   #58
BHPian

The last comment in the tweet conversation with Pratap bose sums up a majority. Market is small for a 4*4 but Tata should have done it just for the sake of it. Yeah right! We have some of the most popular cars not giving us more airbags, dual disc brakes, not even a rock solid body shell but people want 4*4. Wait, does the self-claimed Ultimate SUV have a 4*4? Nope but it's selling by the thousands and people are not complaining.
Avinash_R is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 10:54   #59
BHPian

I really like! It's exciting to note that more companies are building lifestyle focussed variants and even if it's just graphics and a few freebies; it's still a start!

As far as I know, Mahindra is the only other company to do this in India? Toyota does have some dealer initiatives, but not sure if it's on brand.

The way I look at it, this will also improve the overall perception of purpose built vehicles. Companies start with graphics, freebies, water bottles etc. and eventually evolve to tires, performance suspension, snorkels, rooftop tents etc in a few years.

The key is support these baby steps. It's in the best interest of everyone.

Last edited by Tassem : 7th November 2020 at 10:57.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 11:17   #60
BHPian

I test drove the new harrier and considered it for replacing my sedan. The camo edition if it came with additional changes like rear independent suspension, AWD, electric parking brake and updated interior would have been a real proposition. The problem case for tata is that the direct competitor like the compass offers them and therefore they really need to provide these even if that is only for a higher variant which would be bought by niche number of buyers. Maybe tata wants to go slow on the 20+ lacs market as buyers are still wary of the quality and brand value if they are spending on higher side of 20 where premium on features and reliability is more than the value for money.

Last edited by automachine : 7th November 2020 at 11:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks