Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 12:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Eeco completes 10 years; sales cross 7 lakh mark

The Maruti Suzuki Eeco has completed 10 years in the Indian market. During this time, the carmaker sold over 7 lakh units and has achieved 90% market share in the van segment.

Maruti Eeco completes 10 years; sales cross 7 lakh mark-download-1.jpg

The Eeco was launched in 2010. Sales crossed the 1 lakh mark in FY2011-12 and the 2 lakh mark two years later. In FY2014-15, Maruti launched the Cargo Petrol variant. In FY2016-17, the carmaker introduced the Eeco Minor and overall sales crossed the 4 lakh unit mark. Eeco sales crossed the 5 lakh unit mark in FY2018-19.

According to Maruti, the Eeco was among the top 10 highest selling vehicles in the 2019-20. It has achieved 68% growth especially in rural markets. More than 50% of Eeco customers are said to use the vehicle for both business and personal use.

The Eeco is now available with a BS6-compliant 1.2-litre petrol engine that produces 72.4 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 98 Nm @ 3,000 rpm. The CNG version has a slightly lower output. It puts out 62 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 85 Nm @ 3,000 rpm.

Maruti offers a total of 12 variants of the Eeco including 5-seater, 7-seater, Cargo and Ambulance.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 8th September 2020 at 12:56.
TusharK is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 14:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Eeco completes 10 years; sales cross 7 lakh mark

By far the worst car I've travelled in, but just shows the market potential of utility over comfort.
Eddy is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 14:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
By far the worst car I've travelled in, but just shows the market potential of utility over comfort.
I don't think this UV caters to Individual buyers. I've seen many of these being Ambulances, School vans, Airport cargo vans, commercial goods transport vans and courier service vans. Looks like after the discontinuation of Omni, Eeco sales increased, Omni recorded about 7K sales per month consistantly. With no other alternative in market, probably all those buyers might have bought Eeco. As Eddy said, it is all about utility. I don't think there is any other alternative in the same segment on Indian market at the same price point.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th September 2020 at 16:38. Reason: Quoted post edited/deleted. Thanks!
WhiteSierra is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:19   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Surprised !

It a very good car for city use. It has loads of space & carry your home too in its boot. Very useful in small cities were roads are narrow and people care for space and not comfort. Its very good as Ambulance and for small business people, they can carry hell lot of material in it.

Apart from all its usefulness, its really peppy car. Has very good pick up and never runs out of power. Also it has Maruti badge which speaks itself.
aniketi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

I was a passenger in the rear seat and the suspension was horrible.
Eddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was a passenger in the rear seat and the suspension was horrible.
Yes, the suspension is meant to carry loads, so on single or partial occupancy, ride will be atrocious.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 18:45   #7
BHPian

This shows how much this market values utility at an affordable price. Various competitors came in- versions of the Mahindra Supro, Tata ace vans, flops like the Premier Sigma etc. None could match the price to performance ratio.

I think the Eeco is a good alternative to the Omni. That was a crime on Indian roads- have had many friends and family suffer a vehicle collapse due to direction change at any speed over 40 kmph due to a cow or dog etc.

However, the 7 seater version never came with an AC and was thus restricted to commercial duties. At close to 5 lakhs on the road, the Eeco is expensive now. The base model of the Triber offers far more security and practicality for just about a lakh more. Hope that catches up.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:15   #8
BHPian

My Eeco too completes 10 years this year. Its been an amazing car so far, its master of none but definitely a jack of all trades. We use it primarily for our farm drives now and for carrying luggage, etc. We can easily fit in 7 people in it for short distances. The suspension is a little hard but not uncomfortable (I currently also drive Gi10, Rapid and Passat). The AC is really good and will chill the entire cabin in just few minutes. The engine is peppy (peppier than my previous car i20 Petrol).
Pastey93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastey93 View Post
We can easily fit in 7 people in it for short distances. The suspension is a little hard but not uncomfortable (I currently also drive Gi10, Rapid and Passat). The AC is really good and will chill the entire cabin in just few minutes.
May I ask how you managed to get the 7 seater with AC?
The company sells the 7 seater without AC. Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2020 at 22:22. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
We got a 5 seater AC variant and fitted two foldable seats in the boot which serves the purpose.
Pastey93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 21:38   #11
BHPian

Use an Eeco at my resort for Utility work such as buying Veggies, transporting bulk purchases of hotel supplies etc - good for that purpose, but horrible to sit in as a passenger or drive.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 21:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

As a replacement for the Maruti Omni all over India and for Premier taxis in Mumbai, Eeco stands to gain and gain. There is hardly any competitor in its class and the Eeco is here to stay for a long, long innings like the Maruti Omni.

And for any vehicle from Maruti that has no competitor, there would virtually be no advancements in either design or technology unless mandatory for compliance with the newer laws.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 22:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
7 seater with AC variant is available at the dealer level.

Most of the times the dealer fits the extra seats in the 5 seater AC variants, but certain times I've also seen them install the AC in the 7 seater variant.
Warranty obviously remains intact.

We had been provided with this option when we were looking for a 7 seater AC vehicle within 5 lakhs for my mother's school.
A.M. is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 22:48   #14
BHPian

Goes on to say how well Maruti knows to play the volumes game to keep the cash registers ringing.

In fact, the far more capable Versa had to bite the dust simply because the segment this caters to does not look for anything beyond utility value.

Well! Vox Populi, Vox Dei
Old 8th September 2020, 23:15   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M. View Post
7 seater with AC variant is available at the dealer level.

Most of the times the dealer fits the extra seats in the 5 seater AC variants, but certain times I've also seen them install the AC in the 7 seater variant.
Warranty obviously remains intact.

We had been provided with this option when we were looking for a 7 seater AC vehicle within 5 lakhs for my mother's school.
It can also be done the other way around. BHPian ChiranjitP's uncle needed an Eeco with 7 seater and AC. They got an Eeco 5 seater with AC, and I provided him part number of 3rd row seat assembly.

I believe the conversion was plug and play, and they barely spent anything on the mod.

Request him to elaborate on the process.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed