Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:07   #1
BHPian

Toyota Yaris getting a mild update = Black colour!

Toyota plans to give a mild update or launch a special edition Yaris TRD sedan.
This was posted on the Instagram channel. It captioned - Brace yourselves to experience the happenin' Yaris in all new avtar.
Yaris sedan has not been a success and Toyota is more interested in selling Maruti cars like Baleno and Brezza with their badge instead of their own cars. Etios liva, Etios sedan and Corolla Altis have all been discontinued. The only original Toyota cars being sold are Yaris, Fortuner and Innova in India.
Toyota Yaris getting a mild update = Black colour!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1599136218.835935.jpg

Last edited by shravan2k2 : 3rd September 2020 at 18:10.
shravan2k2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 22:00   #2
BHPian

re: Toyota Yaris getting a mild update = Black colour!

And its out. And the update is, a black color on offer! This would really do wonders for Toyota.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Yaris getting a mild update = Black colour!-804e791ee3664d3f8075f90c08945f8a.jpeg  

Xaos636 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 22:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
And the update is, a black color on offer!
Although it is a lame effort to stay in the news, I must say that black conceals the design mess at the front quite nicely

Last edited by self_driven : 3rd September 2020 at 22:10.
self_driven is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 22:42   #4
BANNED

Here it is, Toyota takes the cake, while everyone was going bonkers over Nexon's XM(S) launch and its features, Toyota puts up a teaser and launches a black edition of Yaris! Probably rub-off effect from Maruti. But it being from Toyota and not from Tata, it may not ruffle many feathers.
wheelguy is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 22:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
And its out. And the update is, a black color on offer! This would really do wonders for Toyota.
I think its their way of casting away the evils/better competitors causing it to have almost nil sales.

As most of us have been brought up by citing the saying "nazar ka tika lagane se nazar nahi lagti" maybe thats what Toyota is trying to justify by launching this colour.

Last edited by sv97 : 3rd September 2020 at 22:57.
sv97 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:35   #6
BHPian

I see a movable headrest in the front as well as the back. I suppose it was missing earlier. There could be more changes inside.
riteshritesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Yaris getting a mild update = Black colour!

Black hides the ugly bodylines to an extent.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:38   #8
BHPian

This car in hatchback format and this color would have looked so good.
Thilak29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 15:18   #9
BHPian

I am confused with this effort from Toyota. Black is generally not a hot selling color in India when compared to other colors like white or red. The resale value of black is also less compared to other colors. I am not sure how this new color scheme will improve the lack luster sales of Yaris.

I know the pain of maintaining a black color vehicle, I would never suggest anyone to buy this color. Toyota should have introduced some electronic gimmicks like 10" HU or Wireless charging to attract crowd.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 16:01   #10
BHPian

After effects of joining with Maruti. Stickers vs Shade wars. Others don't look at this. Volkswagen already burnt hands doing a Maruti on Vento (IPL Version?).

Better engine, some new gizmos and price correction is what Yaris needs, not a new shade. Hope BLACK doesn't go BLANK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I must say that black conceals the design mess at the front quite nicely
Our AAM junta, will apply chrome fittings and lift those curvy curvy curves

Last edited by saisree : 4th September 2020 at 16:09.
saisree is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:45   #11
BHPian

2 thing I don't understand why Toyota could not do:

1. Why not launch Yaris Diesel with Etios' diesel with a better state of tune - 90 bhp. Or with the 1.4 D4D which came fitted in Corolla D

2. Why could not Toyota launch Corolla with 2.0 D, instead of insipid 1.4 D
Zinda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 20:51   #12
BHPian

I am still surprised that Toyota is trying to get the Yaris some traction in this market. I guess they have to just to meet production targets set for their suppliers.

Another surprising thing for a Toyota is that I see a relatively large number of Toyota Yaris (generally lower variants and with the CVT too) on sale on Cars24 site in Bengaluru.

In a city plagued with traffic problems, a Toyota and that too an automatic that never sold in large numbers should not even be on sale in used car platforms since I would imagine that owners who got them knew what they are getting into.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

I somehow feel Japanese have access to better quality weed than anywhere/ anyone else. Toyota & Honda are comfortable selling lesser numbers in APAC (Asia Pacific) countries than Indian where they could have been in much better position sales numbers & cash flows wise.

Till few decades ago the quality difference & sales support standards in India were bad so Japanese were supposedly superior & commanded premium. But, the difference on quality parameter these days is narrowed & rivals offer better after sales (including spread). This is not restricted to Automobiles sector, but to other sectors, as well. These are the drivers of sales fo rivals, especially Koreans. Moreover, the Jap products don't have the USP they are famed for. For instance, City of 2000s was a different machine & the Yaris elsewhere is more powerful (I'm comparing with top 10 economies/ markets). They are just selling 3rd world products at developed countries price because of Goodwill (controversial topic practically & academically) earned in past. Their products aren't best in performance, lag behind in features, & hence, deemed overpriced by potential buyers.

And these special editions are akin to dressing up the pig (or mule at best) to compete with horses (not necessarily thoroughbred).

They need to up the ante on Innovation (not just Innova) or keep prices reasonable. If Toyota can sell borrowed Baleno cheaper, they can also sell homegrown Yaris cheaper.
CARDEEP is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 22:07   #14
BHPian

Maruti vs Toyota! Who adds the 21 bhp?
The black colour? Or the RS stickers!!!

Honestly though, the Japanese are losing the plot to the Koreans. I expect HyuKi to overtake MS in next 8-12 months.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 4th September 2020 at 22:09.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 22:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am still surprised that Toyota is trying to get the Yaris some traction in this market. I guess they have to just to meet production targets set for their suppliers.
They have to sell something in petrol to offset carbon emission from their diesel sellers.

Most Viewed