Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Maruti S-Cross today?
Yes 262 60.65%
No 170 39.35%
Voters: 432. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 13:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Maruti launched this ugly duckling back in 2015, but it instantly won over enthusiasts. Why? Because of that powerful 1.6L Fiat diesel engine, good quality & build and European car-like road manners. The 1.6 engine was a sales flop though because it was outrageously priced. Maruti gave the S-Cross an ordinary 1.3L diesel too, which wouldn't be our choice, but it did alright in the market (especially after the 2017 facelift). Recently, the company introduced the familiar 1.5L petrol variant.

Positives

• Solid build & good quality, inside out
• Powerful 1.6L diesel with 320 Nm of torque. Superb mid-range and top-end performance
• Mature ride & handling package. High speed behaviour is excellent
• Practical interiors, spacious cabin and supportive seats
• Fuss-free ownership, thanks to Maruti's after-sales service network
• All variants get 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS & dual airbags
• Feature loaded: Bi-xenon or LED headlamps, leather seats, cruise control, 7" touchscreen ICE etc.

Negatives

• Unappealing styling. Looks like a big hatchback (not a crossover / SUV)
• 1.6L diesel variant has a laggy bottom-end
• 1.6L diesel (our choice) isn't an easy find in the used market
• 1.3L diesel offers very ordinary performance. Nothing special about it
• No AT options in the used market, or even a petrol!
• 353 liter boot - though well shaped - is small for a car of this size & positioning
• Noise insulation is below average for a premium car

Related Threads

Official Review, Facelift and 2020 S-Cross Petrol

Dr.Naren's Stage 3 S-Cross 1.6L Alpha

Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320

benzinblut's pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6

Keynote's 1.6L S-Cross

grease.monkey's Pandemonium - a modified S-Cross 1.6

Sudden death of the DDiS 320 engine

laluks' Kungfu Panda - S-Cross 1.3L Facelift

ajay_satpute's 1.3L Zeta variant

sudeepg's 1.3L S-Cross

sandygordon's S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha

Mod Potential:

Get a nice set of alloys along with some chrome delete and see the car transform visually. A remap will get you that performance bump. Overall mod options are just like that for any mainstream car.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-img_1954.jpg
Source (StealthCross - My modded black S-Cross)

Availability:

While the 1.6L engine sold in very few quantities, you can get yourself a 1.3L easily. Owners of the 1.6L S-Cross are holding on to it for its performance and due to the fact that the car ages well. Check out some of the examples on sale here.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-images1080x108037.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-images1080x108038.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-images1080x108040.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-images1080x108039.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th September 2020 at 18:30.
blackwasp is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 19:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Voted yes, and only for the 1.6L car. For 6.xx lakhs, I can get a very good S-Cross 1.6. It's like the best of both worlds - European car fun backed by Maruti's dependable network for maintenance. Strongly recommended for driving pleasure, especially if you spend a lot of time on the highway. It's simply "wow" at high speeds.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 20:19   #3
BHPian

Voted No. I find S-Cross design language very odd. It neither looks like an SUV nor looks like a sedan, and hence the name Cross? It has confused me. I took a TD of 1.3 diesel and was really disappointed with the car. No punch, I felt like I was driving an old car. The interiors were a big let down. However, I liked the fact that even base model had 4 disc breaks.

The new facelift version is a lot better buy, looks SUVish.
ramnaresh_2000 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:27   #4
BHPian

Voted Yes, but only for the 1.6L variant

Currently there's one available in Alpha variant at Sai Service True Value outlet in blue colour for 6.5-6.6L.
jigar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted no.

The car is OLD. Feels old. This is the kind of car where a fresh from showroom piece looks like it is 5 years old. The design, the cabin, the look and feel, the features and even the more popular motor, they all scream 2000. I refuse to do 2000 in 2020. The 1.6 is very very hard to find, and the 1.3 is so not a motor you’ll want here. There is just better and relevant options out there.

I’ll take a sparingly used Nexon diesel over this.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 4th September 2020 at 21:49.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 21:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Maruti launched this ugly duckling back in 2015, but it instantly won over enthusiasts. Why? Because of that powerful 1.6L Fiat diesel engine, good quality & build and European car-like road manners. The 1.6 engine was a sales flop though because it was outrageously priced. Maruti gave the S-Cross an ordinary 1.3L diesel too, which wouldn't be our choice, but it did alright in the market (especially after the 2017 facelift).
Voted Yes for 1.6

Thank you blackwasp & Mods for the write up and featuring respective ownership reviews. I was one among the luckiest to get my hands on the 1.6 especially after the price reduction of ~2 Lakhs by MSIL . Given there is simply no match for this gem of an engine even at cars one segment above I feel it was a superb value for money to get the top-end alpha variant 1.6 for 15 big ones in 2016. To address the ugly duckling image, some 1.6 owners took the route of facelift - doesn't it look gorgeous in this unique "Red Shade" ?

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-photo20200903171318.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-photo20200903171447.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross-photo20200903171448.jpg
Picture Credits : Respective Owner. Took his permission for posting this beauty here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Voted yes, and only for the 1.6L car. For 6.xx lakhs, I can get a very good S-Cross 1.6. It's like the best of both worlds - European car fun backed by Maruti's dependable network for maintenance. Strongly recommended for driving pleasure, especially if you spend a lot of time on the highway. It's simply "wow" at high speeds.
You're absolutely spot on GTO. Given the mod potential of this engine and combined with the service network, this car has immense value if one holds on to this prized possession as much as possible.

I recently completed four memorable years of owning this machine and having seen so many members holding on to their steeds (long term ownership reviews section) I certainly plan to keep my tusker for another six years for sure.

Last edited by Keynote : 4th September 2020 at 22:00. Reason: Spelling
Keynote is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 23:13   #7
BHPian

Voted Yes and I would go for the 1.3L diesel and get it remapped, enough for the enthusiast in you. The 1.3 would have better low end, better drivability especially in city traffic and easier maintenance. With a remap, it can easily produce some 120hp of peak power and that's just not it, a remap doesn't just give you more peak power, it transforms the engine totally.
Rest all is already fine with the S Cross. For people who think it is too plain and all, as a used car, always go for a more reliable, robust and easier, cheaper to maintain car. Less gimmicks, robust 1.3 multijet are all good qualities of the S Cross as a used car.
itsashishsharma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 00:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

It is a car that you buy with your head (and sometimes eyes closed) and not with your heart. I bought one 5 years back and EXTREMELY happy with my choice. Will definitely recommend it, provided you can live without an AC vent in the rear in a big car.

Availabiliy of used cars in the NCR region will be impacted with the diesel rule - a lot of these cars may be available for registration in other parts of the country, I guess somewhere around 2023 (8 years after launch).
Eddy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 02:37   #9
BHPian

Voted No for the 1.3 Multijet. It would be a Yes in case of a 1.6 which is hard to find. Instead of buying a used 1.3 S-Cross, I feel it would be better to go for a used SX4 Zdi. The boot is bigger and the mechanicals are almost the same, I guess (except the rear Discs).
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 02:52   #10
BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Maruti S-Cross

Voted yes. S-Cross is the best product from Maruti in India, period. Be it the ride handling balance, the build quality, feels like a European car to drive which can't be said for any other Maruti product, presently at sale . The 1.6 was a blast and it might go down as the only car in India that is fun to drive and also has no issues wrt after sales, a combo that isn't found in Indian auto market. This variant would go as a classic in Indian auto car scene and I do envy the S-Cross 1.6 owners
The 1.3 too is pretty good and definitely better than the newly released 1.5 petrol. A remapped 1.3 can be a lot of fun.
On the practicality front as well it scores well with more than enough space to sit 5 folks and even the boot, though might sound less but in the way it is designed it can gobble up a lot of luggage. All discs is another pro.
Buying a Maruti has its perks and if you get a well built Maruti which is nice to drive, nothing like it.

Last edited by Waspune : 5th September 2020 at 02:56.
Waspune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 03:03   #11
BHPian

Voted for NO. For following reasons :

1. Main reason is lack of auto tranny.

2. Turbo lag. Coupled with manual gearbox, it doesn't sound a good combo in traffic.

3. Neither hatch nor SUV. First gen looked boring. Facelift, though, was likeable.

4. I won't have peace of mind at 180mm GC, as much as I would have, at 190mm or more. So this slightly higher GC doesn't cut it for me. I want GC where I can be fully sure it won't kiss the ground. Here, I won't be fully sure.

5. For that money in used car market, I can have much larger boot space.

If it was available with automatic transmission, paired with 1.6L, It would have been a very very strong contender at 6 odd lacs. Will forget the turbo lag as well. Those dynamics and torque/weight ratio is just too tempting. How I wish there was an AT!

Last edited by Mynameis : 5th September 2020 at 03:09.
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 08:37   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
To address the ugly duckling image, some 1.6 owners took the route of facelift - doesn't it look gorgeous in this unique "Red Shade" ?
I must admit this particular S-Cross looks really good . And I say this as a hater of its looks. Nicely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Instead of buying a used 1.3 S-Cross, I feel it would be better to go for a used SX4 Zdi.
There is no comparison. The SX4's overall quality levels were below-average to average (at best), while the S-Cross' build & quality are top class.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 08:49   #13
BHPian

This car is very hard to find in used car market. Specially the 1.6L.

OLX has Zero listing for S-Cross 1.6L
Maruti True Value has zero listing for S-Cross 1.6L
For entire West Bengal !!

One would really need to be a big fan to go to a different state to pick one up or needs to be extremely lucky to find one via direct contact in same city/state

I took test drive of this car when it was launched. 1.6L was simply mind blowing.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 09:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thought to rearrange the positives & negatives from an owner's point of view, unbiased ofcourse...

Negatives
• Feature loaded: Bi-xenon or LED headlamps - headlights are absolutely useless, needs an expensive upgrade
• 1.3L diesel offers very ordinary performance. Nothing special about it - True
• No AT options - True
• All variants get 4 wheel disc brakes - Disc brakes are useless for a aggressive spirited drives

Positives

• Solid build & good quality, inside out - True
• Powerful 1.6L diesel with 320 Nm of torque. Superb mid-range and top-end performance - True
• Mature ride & handling package. High speed behaviour is excellent - Sheer brilliant
• Practical interiors, spacious cabin and supportive seats - True
• Fuss-free ownership, thanks to Maruti's after-sales service network - Absolute practical & top notch with plenty of outlets from Tawang to Lakhpath to Toise to Cape Comorin
• Feature loaded: leather seats, cruise control, 7" touchscreen ICE etc - True
• 1.6L diesel variant has a laggy bottom-end - Use Wolf Moto Remap stage 1; doesn't pinch the pocket + this is no longer an issue
• 1.6L diesel (our choice) isn't an easy find in the used market - That makes the vehicle even more dearer to hold; something as unique as you are
• No petrol! - Think about this, when Petrol price goes up atrociously, everyone curses & still heads to fuel station; when Diesel prices goes up atrociously, not only commodity prices goes up, but the LOA comes to rescue in form of strike, none to back you vs LOA
• The 180 GC is more than sufficient fit at most of West, South & North India

Neutral
• Unappealing styling. Looks like a big hatchback (not a crossover / SUV) - Depends on the eye of beholder; so does Merc A180
• 353 liter boot - though well shaped - is small for a car of this size & positioning - Small boot for folks who wants to carry their house for even a 1 day trip & huge for folks who travel even for 16 days on road is our experience
• Noise insulation is below average for a premium car - Absolutely yes; if you're on a hunt on an used car, this seldom matters due to lots of available after market dampners
• Ruggedness as a Crossover - Much superior than Sedan, but very lesser than SUV; can probably say softer SUV than XUV

From personal point of view
• The 180 GC doesn't help at all, especially in mid Himalayas or terrains of North East
• Tires don't last like SUVs or may be even a Sedan; heck my WagonR had better tire life than SCross. Same goes with front brake pads (not the rear)
• Spares are way too expensive
• True 5 seater car that accommodates 3 people comfortably in the rear
• For a normal to mid range user this car can be considered rugged, but if one has the need to be rugged to begin with, Mahindra, Tata are the choice
• The torque & acceleration of 1.6 causes exhilaration like no other
• Only from 80 Kmph, you feel like you're driving actually & most curves can be taken with ease at this speed. At 40 Kmph, you feel time slowed down

You may find some points reoccurring under the different section which has been putforth both as an experienced user as well as from the mindset of a potential buyer, more like FAQ, to make the buying or forgoing choice easier.

Last edited by aargee : 5th September 2020 at 09:13.
aargee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 09:10   #15
BHPian

Voted No. Either of the versions 1.6L or the 1.3 L. In my dictionary Maruti is a big No!.
The S-Cross particularly doesn't excite me whether it be the hatchbacky design or the looks or the name itself, or the way Maruti promotes it now - "A Refined SUV"?.

It seems like Maruti never get over its budget offerings in terms of its design language. I would easily pick an XUV 300/ Nexon over it.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks