Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2019, 06:38   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
I have a WB registered Maruti Alto car at my home in Kolkata. It is registered in my mother's name. I plan to bring it to my home in Pune and drive it here. I will keep the car for at least two years in Pune. My questions are:

1. Do I need to first change the registration to my name to drive it here in Pune?
2. Do I need to get a NOC from Kolkata RTO before bringing it to Pune?
3. In Pune if I pay the road-tax will it be enough to drive it legally? Or I need to register it too?
If you want your WB road tax back then the noc etc route, else pay Pune life tax if and only if you’re asked. The motor vehicles act lets you keep a car out of state for up to a year before you need to re register it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Hello guys, I am in the process of moving a car out of Bangalore and wanted to know the following:

1. Is it necessary to take a NOC before moving the car? Will the shipper need this?
2. Is it true that the request for refund to the original RTO should be done within 2 months from the date of issuance of the NOC?
3. Is there any link (within this thread or otherwise) that details the documents that are needed for NOC? (Got this one )
4. For Transit Insurance, which provider is the best?

Many thanks in advance.
A.
The shipper won’t need a noc, you will, in order to pay road tax in your new state. You need the noc, then need to pay life tax and re register in your new state, before you get your Karnataka road tax refund

Pick any insurer you’ve got a good relationship with for transit insurance
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 00:04   #722
BHPian

Quote:
I have a WB registered Maruti Alto car at my home in Kolkata. It is registered in my mother's name. I plan to bring it to my home in Pune and drive it here. I will keep the car for at least two years in Pune. My questions are:

1. Do I need to first change the registration to my name to drive it here in Pune?
2. Do I need to get a NOC from Kolkata RTO before bringing it to Pune?
3. In Pune if I pay the road-tax will it be enough to drive it legally? Or I need to register it too?
Today I got to know from an RTO agent in Kolkata that since my car is a 2009 Maruti Alto, it is a BS3 (i.e. Euro3) version. He told me to make it absolutely sure that I will be able to register (or at least pay road-tax and drive legally) in Pune for a BS3 car. Because if I get a NOC from Kolkata RTO and Pune RTO does not allow me to register it here, then I can't take it back to Kolkata again and re-register it there.

It seems that the rule is you cannot register a BS3 car in the metros. And Pune being a metro my guess is I would not be able to register the car in Pune.

Can someone throw some light on this?
Old 30th January 2019, 10:47   #723
Senior - BHPian

You had better sell the car in Calcutta or just donate it to some relative. It is simply a waste of time and money to transport it to Pune and spend months in the re-registration process for an old and now worth a very low price car, even if it had been BS4.

As far as I am aware you won't be able to get a NOC for a BS3 vehicle if you are transporting it to a metro city in another state so that's out of the question as well.

Quote:
Today I got to know from an RTO agent in Kolkata that since my car is a 2009 Maruti Alto, it is a BS3 (i.e. Euro3) version. He told me to make it absolutely sure that I will be able to register (or at least pay road-tax and drive legally) in Pune for a BS3 car. Because if I get a NOC from Kolkata RTO and Pune RTO does not allow me to register it here, then I can't take it back to Kolkata again and re-register it there.

It seems that the rule is you cannot register a BS3 car in the metros. And Pune being a metro my guess is I would not be able to register the car in Pune.

Can someone throw some light on this?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 11:52   #724
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I will be moving from Haryana to Hyderabad only for an year.

So, I do not want to register my car in Hyderabad.

Having read many articles on net, I cannot come to a meaningful conclusion.

Can someone please suggest the options that I have - and what can be done so that the cops do not harass me.

Thanks.
Old 21st February 2019, 12:06   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys,

Can someone please suggest the options that I have - and what can be done so that the cops do not harass me.

Thanks.
As per the MVA you can drive your vehicle freely in any state of India irrespective where it has been registered for less than 1 year. If you plan to keep it for more than a year then you need to procure the NOC from the home state, apply for a refund and re register the vehicle in the new state. If you do not have NOC even then you can apply for re registration in the new state, but it takes a little longer as the RTO reaches out to the home state RTO to validate any dues (if any).

In your case - I don't see any need to get it re registered. However, make sure you keep the toll slips/PUC from home state handy and transportation receipt if in case you intend to ship it.
Aashish_390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 12:08   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks.
To be on the right side of the law you need to pay road tax for more than 30 days. You need not change the registration. Do not take NOC.

If you can prove to the RTO or police that your intended stay is temporary and that you have not stayed in the city for more than 30 days, they may let you off with out a fine.

There's a lot to see around Telangana, so head out each month, and keep the fuel and toll receipts
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 19:59   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
To be on the right side of the law you need to pay road tax for more than 30 days. You need not change the registration. Do not take NOC.

If you can prove to the RTO or police that your intended stay is temporary and that you have not stayed in the city for more than 30 days, they may let you off with out a fine.

There's a lot to see around Telangana, so head out each month, and keep the fuel and toll receipts
What is the amount if road tax? Also, what is the max time period in which I can drive without registration of the car?

And, after paying the road tax how much will I need to pay for registration?
Old 21st February 2019, 22:40   #728
BHPian

Quote:

Please don't spread wrong information, you can legally drive an out of state registered vehicle for one year without paying road tax.

It has beed discussed in various threads and both the Karnataka and Telangana High Court have declared this 30 day rule invalid:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/46616574.cms

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/53014682.cms

Last edited by Foxbat : 21st February 2019 at 22:43.
Foxbat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:40   #729
BHPian

Quote:

This rule was applicable until last year before "Drive without Border" movement led by Waseem Menon came into picture. That too only in Bangalore, where the time frame was 30 days and not 11 months like the rest of the India.

AFAIK - this rule was challenged in Supreme Court and as per the current law anyone can freely ride/drive in Bangalore and the rest of the India for 11 months and needs to apply for re registration if they intend to stay more than 11 months in that state.

Pollution Certificate, Toll Slips and Shipping Document would suffice in case of any encounter with the cops.
Aashish_390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 11:40   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashish_390 View Post
This rule was applicable until last year before "Drive without Border" movement led by Waseem Menon came into picture. That too only in Bangalore, where the time frame was 30 days and not 11 months like the rest of the India.

AFAIK - this rule was challenged in Supreme Court and as per the current law anyone can freely ride/drive in Bangalore and the rest of the India for 11 months and needs to apply for re registration if they intend to stay more than 11 months in that state.

Pollution Certificate, Toll Slips and Shipping Document would suffice in case of any encounter with the cops.
Road tax is still payable after 30 days. Only Registration needs not be changed.
Old 26th February 2019, 15:33   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Road tax is still payable after 30 days. Only Registration needs not be changed.
I don't think this is the case now. This 30 days rule was quashed by the Supreme Court in 2017. Can you please provide the source where you got this information?

I am of the same opinion as mentioned by Foxbat -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Please don't spread wrong information, you can legally drive an out of state registered vehicle for one year without paying road tax.

It has beed discussed in various threads and both the Karnataka and Telangana High Court have declared this 30 day rule invalid:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/46616574.cms

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/53014682.cms
Old 1st March 2019, 16:17   #732
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Can we pay the life time road tax in another state without getting the registration?

Having talked to a few agents in Haryana, I don't think getting a refund from RTO would be a practical option.

So wanted to know if I can keep my car registered in Haryana and just pay the life time tax in Hyderabad?
Old 6th March 2019, 12:34   #733
BHPian

Folks,
Help needed..
Pls share any reliable RTO document processing agents for Gurugram area.
Need to get an NOC and other formalities.
The one I found was charging exorbitantly high.
12000/- NOC and 25000/- for name transfer.

Appreciate a quick response.

Thanks in advance.

Maverick79.
Old 12th March 2019, 21:00   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotransmit View Post
Hello all -- I'd transferred my Honda City from Bangalore (Jayanagar) to Hyderabad by paying a hefty road tax.

I'd since followed all the procedure/paperwork to apply for a refund to the Bangalore RTO. The RTO has acknowledged that everything is indeed in place to process the refund: all they need to do is send me the refund check. They say the delay is because of them not having received SBI checks, ever since State Bank of Mysore became State Bank of India. This has been the state for the last 6+ months.

Am I missing something here? Is this normal? BTW, there was no agent involved in any of this.
Hello all -- good news on this: finally, after almost an year or following up, my refund check has come through from the Jayanagar RTO. However, the check they sent me is from State Bank of Mysore, Treasury Branch. Can I deposit like a regular check? There is an "advice of refund of revenue" also sent in, alongside the check.
autotransmit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 23:00   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any one successfully moved a car into Karnataka recently ? Apart from RTO forms what other documents did you absolutely need ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks