Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2020, 15:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post

The GT gets sportier 195/55 R16 section of tires, the HL+ MT gets 195/65 R16.
That results in different outside diameter and ground clearance. Is it 175/65 R16 or 195/65 R15 for the Highline?
Old 10th September 2020, 18:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
That results in different outside diameter and ground clearance. Is it 175/65 R16 or 195/65 R15 for the Highline?
I again checked the old Polo brochure released in May, the Highline plus MT also has 195/55 R16 tyres, the latest brochure incorrectly mentions it as 195/65 R16.

Volkswagen India website pages will never offer correct information, if they correct few errors, they add few more. This is one of those error.

Also in the brochure it mentions that GT has "12v charging point in front centre armrest", where as GT doesn't have front armrest.
RaceHorse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 12:47   #48
BHPian

I had booked this GT TSI somewhere in Feb 2020, knowingly it would be a 1.0 TSI+TC. Yesterday, I got a call from my VW dealer stating my allotted car has already arrived and they want me to finalize the financial matters so that I can get the car by next week.

However, after waiting this long, I have pretty much lost my intrest and I am thinking to wait for another month to see whether VW will revise the pricing of GT. But I have a feeling that would be very unlikely.

I know the MT Highline plus shall be better value for money and slightly more fun. Nonethelss, I wanted a car with an auto box, which I intend to keep for 10 years at least.
I test drove almost all cars within the 1.5 Million INR bracket, and I felt this was the best car suited for my requirement.
igemini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 17:10   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
... However, after waiting this long, I have pretty much lost my intrest and I am thinking to wait for another month to see whether VW will revise the pricing of GT. But I have a feeling that would be very unlikely. ...
I have a feeling it will be unlikely too. I don't think prices will fall when the model is fresh and hot. The only thing is, if you are buying for a ten year stint, then the actual purchase price will be forgotten less than half way through that, so, assuming you like the car enough, you might as well go ahead.

By the way: I notice it's your first post even though you joined a year ago. Welcome to Team-BHP posters!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 17:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had booked this GT TSI somewhere in Feb 2020, knowingly it would be a 1.0 TSI+TC. Yesterday, I got a call from my VW dealer stating my allotted car has already arrived and they want me to finalize the financial matters so that I can get the car by next week.

However, after waiting this long, I have pretty much lost my intrest and I am thinking to wait for another month to see whether VW will revise the pricing of GT. But I have a feeling that would be very unlikely.

I know the MT Highline plus shall be better value for money and slightly more fun. Nonethelss, I wanted a car with an auto box, which I intend to keep for 10 years at least.
I test drove almost all cars within the 1.5 Million INR bracket, and I felt this was the best car suited for my requirement.
I have a good feeling there will be plenty of discounts. If you can, just hold on. Infact, show your hesitation at the showroom and chances are there will be discounts because the premium for the auto box is quite high!

We're in the middle of a pandemic with people losing jobs left right and center. If at all you have the money to buy a car, you are king in today's scenario. Don't take it too far though, the dealership, SA's and everyone in the business need to survive too!
Old 11th September 2020, 18:33   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are having second thoughts about the car itself, then you will have to test drive other cars again. But if you are convinced about this car, I don't think you will see a price reduction anytime soon. Maybe you can consider a lower variant? Given that you plan to keep it for 10 years, TC transmission will serve you well, they are considered bullet proof.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 18:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you are having second thoughts about the car itself, then you will have to test drive other cars again. But if you are convinced about this car, I don't think you will see a price reduction anytime soon. Maybe you can consider a lower variant? Given that you plan to keep it for 10 years, TC transmission will serve you well, they are considered bullet proof.
The only car that I haven't test drive in that price bracket would be the KIA Sonet.

I have no second thoughts about the car as I feel this is the only car which I really like in this price range. I was pretty much sure about buying a Tigor JTP last year, but the dealers asked me to pay 75% as a booking amount. And I felt like they are not so keen to sell the car. I can't explain the efforts that I put to buy that. Finally I gave up.

Back in 2018, I wanted to buy an Abarth Punto / Avventura Abarth. Did enormous follow ups with FIAT India. I never even got one for a Test Drive. That would be the only cars that I wanted to consider if it were still on production.

TC is okay, not great I would say. But it's alright considering my runs these days. At least a lot of reliability issues would be solved. (I hope) I had used a DSG equipped car while I was abroad for a good 5 years. It was seriously fun on those open roads plus a lot of headaches. By opting for a TC, I don't think I am missing anything. Well that's my viewpoint. People have different opinions.

My only concern is that the GT variant is overpriced compared to the BS6 Manual Version. And like I said, since I wait for so long I have a feeling like I can wait some more to see what happens.

Again, not much of choices based on my likings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have a feeling it will be unlikely too. I don't think prices will fall when the model is fresh and hot. The only thing is, if you are buying for a ten year stint, then the actual purchase price will be forgotten less than half way through that, so, assuming you like the car enough, you might as well go ahead.
True that. Also, I did my researches and test drives very well prior I come to a conclusion. I am definitely not after the bling and fancy features. All I wanted is a fun to drive car with strong built and basic features and of course an auto box due to the ever increasing traffic and these days I am leaning towards comfort and convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
By the way: I notice it's your first post even though you joined a year ago. Welcome to Team-BHP posters!
Thank You. Yes, I joined an year ago but took an year to write something. And though I wasn't a member, I was a regular visitor and reader of the forum since 2005 or 06. Yet, I have not posted anything. I know
igemini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 11:11   #53
BHPian

I have received these photos of the POLO AT & GT from my VW dealer earlier today. Picture credits goes to him.

It seems like the AT and GT have a price difference of approximately 50K INR.

What you get for that 50K shall be the black spoiler, black ORVM and the GTI inspired (so-called) seat covers.

What needs to understand that on the negative side, you will lose the rear ac vents and hand rests on the GT. Both versions have Hill Hold Assist and Traction Control. Which makes the AT a much better value compared to GT unless you really need the GT badge and spoiler which can be bought separately.

I was still expecting the Vento's LED headlamps on GT TSI. But it is not the case.

VW India, I don't even know who is advising you guys on these pricing strategies. They need an award

Mods: Sorry for the back to back posts. I thought it is worth to share here in the forum.*
Attached Thumbnails
VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-tsi.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-gt-tsi.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-interior.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-interior-1.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-gt-rear-seat.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-rear-seat.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-gt-rear-view.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-rear-view.jpg  

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo-gt-front-seat.jpg  

Last edited by igemini : 19th September 2020 at 11:18. Reason: Added POLO GT Front Seat photo
igemini is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 11:44   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I have received these photos of the POLO AT & GT from my VW dealer earlier today. Picture credits goes to him.

It seems like the AT and GT have a price difference of approximately 50K INR.
Good lord! Thats a bummer actually. The Polo AT gets more features and a very useable hand rest+rear AC vent while the GT doesnt? By any chance VW accidentally interchanged the badges? Get the AT and GT stickers and you have a new GT with more features than the real GT.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 12:21   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
When VW launched the highline plus MT, the launch price was 8.04 lakhs. Within weeks, they reduced the official price to 7.89 lakhs and offered the same car with black roof wrap etc. at 7.89 lakhs as a “TSI Edition”. A few weeks later, they made the official price of the highline plus itself as 7.89 lakhs and there were plenty of reports and even whatsapp based ads of dealer-level discounts to the tune of 50K, taking the car to 7.39 lakhs ex-showroom. So they reduced prices and/or discounted by nearly 70K within a few months of launch.

The same happened with Vento Comfortline plus. The car was/is being offered at 8.39 lakhs while the official price at launch was 9.99 lakhs!

I have no doubts VW will cut the official price or offer massive discounts on the Polo AT and GT in the coming months once skimming has happened and the loyal customers who are ready to pay the high launch prices have been milked. I would not be surprised if the Polo AT gets a massive 75K- 1 Lakh discount shortly after the festive season.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th September 2020 at 12:23.
Old 19th September 2020, 12:43   #56
BHPian

There is a very high probability that VW will reduce the price of these AT/GT variants by end of this year. I assume they have launched it now to utilize Deepawali sales. Probably after that, we could expect some discounts. I doubt for steep price cuts*prior that.

In addition, I am doubtful whether the production will be on full swing for these POLO auto transmissions resulting in less stocks to clear later. I believe VW & Skoda are concentrating more on the sales of Skoda Rapid as the next-gen rapid release is coming closer.

As I have a booking for GT since the beginning of this year, now the dealer themselves are asking me whether I need the GT or just buy a Highline Plus AT and they can do the spoiler for around 10K if I am really into that spoiler.

Seems like VW India wants to give some exclusivity for the GT variant and only for those who want to flaunt that badge. Which is pointless as mechanically the car is a lower grade variant of than that of the Highline AT. At least they could have give the GT with 200Nm torque for an exclusivity.

But now its more like POLO AT TSI is better than the POLO GT TSI.
Old 19th September 2020, 12:57   #57
BHPian

Shockingly, I observed that the Polo GT headlight switch does not have the metallic finish as well apart from the rear A/C and armrest. So, are they charging more for less ?

So, what is really the "GT" differentiator apart from the GT badging and blackened out ORVMs both of which you can get in a probably less than a thousand rupees outside. Why are they exactly charging the premium for? Does the engine have a different Map or state of tune? If not, VW branding team is making a fool out of themselves by such a ludicrous variant classification.

Older GT has a different heart and soul (TSI+DSG) which would make it stand out apart from some badges.
Rahul_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 15:52   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
So, what is really the "GT" differentiator apart from the GT badging ... ... ... Older GT has a different heart and soul (TSI+DSG) which would make it stand out apart from some badges.
It should be the performance. Any difference there? If not, we can forget the GT!
Old 19th September 2020, 18:06   #59
BHPian

I'm in the market for an AT hatch. I did not consider Polo so far because of my perception of low slung cars as being the source of discomfort. Now that slight adjustment in the ergonomics with the help of cushions has helped me alleviate said concern, I'm seriously considering the Polo AT. Safe, good engine, fun to drive, what's not to like?

I've never owned a VAG car before. What should be the things to look out for? How about the extended warranty and care programs? A little primer would be very helpful. I've heard these cars can become a pain in the butt to maintain unless you take good care. I'd like to be prepared.
Old 19th September 2020, 18:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

GT TSI is a pointless variant.

Highline plus AT vs GT AT
Both have ESP
HL+ has rear centre armrest which GT doesnt
HL+ has two remote key fobs vs GT's 1
GT has tartan look upholstery HL+ has convectional
GT has spoiler HL+ does not
GT has black mirror caps HL+ does not
VW has also removed aluminum pedal covers from the GT which it had earlier.
GT had sill plates. Whether its there or not need to confirm.
You an get HL+ in silver and brown but not GT.

Both have same engine and same 6AT.

Now, for what 50k more?

I'd buy a HL+ and spice it up with 2014 GT spoiler, black roof, add the metal pedals and sill plates from accessories. There is no need to faunt the GT badge when the whole car is now a wannabe.

It deserved atleast a pair of LED headlights as a differentiator.

Way to go, VW.

Last edited by sidindica : 19th September 2020 at 18:18.
sidindica is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks