Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2020, 08:08   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda opens bookings for Rapid 1.0 TSI Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Interesting. It’s back to the original gearbox of the Rapid and Vento - which was used with the 1.6 l NA engine. At least in my Vento, I find the gearbox decent
Is it confirmed it's the original 6S TC from the 1.6 NA? Below is an extract from the TBHP review(italics mine). Not exceptional but more than acceptable for >90% of buyers.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post2578141 (Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review)

Conclusions for the AT:
The Rapid’s D mode is unsuitable for highway use. When you drive with a light foot in D mode, it always stays in the highest gear and lowest rpm it can possibly manage. Any attempt to even mildly accelerate results in whining and downshifting. Considering how most of the Indian highways force you to frequently change speed, D mode will get you frustrated. The only place where D mode will be useful is in stop-n-go traffic. If you want sudden acceleration, D mode is not the place to be.

The Rapid’s S mode is the probably the best driving mode. It is most suitable for Indian highways, and any other traffic condition where frequent changes in speed are the norm.

The Rapid’s Tiptronic is useful when you require a quick downshift. Honestly though, the S mode will make you forget this mode pretty soon.
Old 28th August 2020, 09:42   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is it confirmed it's the original 6S TC from the 1.6 NA? Below is an extract from the TBHP review(italics mine). Not exceptional but more than acceptable for >90% of buyers.
Not officially confirmed by Skoda but pretty much sure since this is the only 6 speed TC they have available for this application.

They would have made some modifications to work with the new motor and I'm sure tuned the box to the engine characteristics.

Will have to see how it drives, but when I drove the old Rapid with this box and 1.6L MPI engine, we were not at all disappointed. The engine was the weaker link in lacking torque and you would need to modulate the throttle accordingly. The box was perfectly fine in the way it went about shifting gears.

Now with the higher torque + lower rpm when peak torque is available, I have a feeling the engine is going to be covering up the gearbox now but will be far superior to the 1.6L NA as the box won't have to downshift as much.

The best part is a torque converter by design masks turbo lag which was only lacking point in the 1.0L TSI MT.

Sales wise I still don't see it bothering the Verna and City. But if this combo works well, then the compact SUV from Skoda/VW next year plus all new Rapid and Vento will have something to look forward to.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 11:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would be seriously looking for this combination. I was planning to buy replacement for my Punto but have put the decision on back burner due to CoVID.

Skoda Rapid AT may be the best value for money proper automatic for consideration. With 5 or 6 years warranty and a longer service package should take care of any concerns.

Last edited by i74js : 28th August 2020 at 11:04.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 12:23   #19
BHPian

The new (or the old) automatic being a torque converter will be extremely reliable and decently quick too but I am a little worried about the fuel consumption. According to ACI, the car returns a figure of 8.7 in the city! (with a manual gearbox!)
With the automatic, this figure will further go down as these gearboxes are known to suck more fuel.
Inputs from existing Rapid TSi owners would be of great help

Last edited by Nazaar25 : 28th August 2020 at 12:27.
Nazaar25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
The new (or the old) automatic being a torque converter will be extremely reliable and decently quick too but I am a little worried about the fuel consumption. According to ACI, the car returns a figure of 8.7 in the city! (with a manual gearbox!)
With the automatic, this figure will further go down as these gearboxes are known to suck more fuel.
Inputs from existing Rapid TSi owners would be of great help
Small capacity turbo petrol with a torque converter is perfect recipe for single digit fuel economy in the city. Even on the highway it wont be able to return more than 12 to 13 kmpl even on a light foot. Thats the fact one must consider before going for the automatic.

People buying Rapid won't be driving with a light foot anyway
apache_aayush is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 20:47   #21
BHPian

Vento automatic booking also started. Received this price list from a SA. Looks like unlike Rapid, Vento will get automatic for top 2 variants only. Also 2+ lacs price difference between Highline MT and Highline AT is a low.

Skoda opens bookings for Rapid 1.0 TSI Automatic-screenshot_20200829204002.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th August 2020 at 10:26. Reason: Spacing between text and attachment.
toroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 10:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroid View Post
Vento automatic booking also started. Received this price list from a SA. Looks like unlike Rapid, Vento will get automatic for top 2 variants only. Also 2+ lacs price difference between Highline MT and Highline AT is a low.
₹2L price difference for an old school TC gearbox is just bonkers. Really wonder what they're smoking!

Off topic: what is it with these auto cars not being launched in base trim to increase affordability. With the number of buyers leaning towards auto gearboxes on the rise, one would expect people to offer autos on their base trim too, to lure people into the showroom : just as the rider variant did for Skoda
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 11:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Why is the Comfortline and Highline having the same price? It isn't right. I guess they wanted a variant under 10L and Comfortline would be that.

There is a 1.2L difference between the Highline Plus MT and AT variants. That seems more believable.

Even their website shares the same info.

Edit: Just noticed that the Comfortline is at 8.49L for this month. So the Highline seems believable at 9.99L.

Manufacturers do some weird things for keep the price under 10L. Also I feel this 10L tax bracket must have a relook. 10L of today is not the same as 10 years back and cars are getting costly and people are having to settle for less purely for trivial reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda opens bookings for Rapid 1.0 TSI Automatic-screen-shot-20200830-11.28.09-am.png  

Skoda opens bookings for Rapid 1.0 TSI Automatic-screen-shot-20200830-11.30.30-am.png  

Last edited by SchumiFan : 30th August 2020 at 11:34.
Old 11th September 2020, 11:44   #24
BHPian

Skoda Rapid AT launch on 17th September at 11AM.

https://twitter.com/Zac_Hollis_/stat...92226562887680
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda opens bookings for Rapid 1.0 TSI Automatic-rapid_at.png  

skarthiksr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 14:28   #25
BHPian

The media reviews have started to come up for the Vento TSi A/T model on their Youtube Channels. Should give a fair idea what to expect on the Rapid since it never had a DSG-TSi combo before.

The initial reviews say it's not too far away from the Vento 1.2 TSi combo so that's a good sign for potential Rapid AT buyersl

Source: Youtube

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2020 at 21:30. Reason: As requested
srinath34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 15:47   #26
BHPian

In the second video the author states that "its DSG Gearbox or a 7 speed twin clutch", so is the video covering the new TC box or its an old one!
Old 11th September 2020, 15:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
In the second video the author states that "its DSG Gearbox or a 7 speed twin clutch", so is the video covering the new TC box or its an old one!
It came out last year, December. So, it's not a review of the new TC box.

Also, as per Autocar, the gearbox is not from the old Ventos of 2012 edition. It's a new Aisin gearbox.

Quote:
However, this transmission is a latest-generation Aisin unit, not to be confused with the other 6-speed torque converter that did duty in the Vento and Skoda Rapid 1.6-litre petrol automatic.
Source
Old 11th September 2020, 16:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
The media reviews have started to come up for the Vento TSi A/T model on their Youtube Channels. Should give a fair idea what to expect on the Rapid since it never had a DSG-TSi combo before.

The initial reviews say its not too far away from the Vento 1.2 TSi combo so that's a good sign for potential Rapid AT buyers
The second video posted is the review of the erstwhile 1.2 TSI of the Vento with a DSG

Now to the Vento with 1.0 TC AT. Looking at Autocar's review or even Evo India's Polo AT review, it does not seem bad at all. The difference is only "noticable" if have driven the GT TSI with the DSG. But for first time 1.0 TSI with TC AT buyers, it would hardly be a deal breaker if they have test-driven it, itseems.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2020 at 21:32. Reason: Video in question deleted
Shreyas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 16:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
It came out last year, December. So, it's not a review of the new TC box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
The second video posted is the review of the erstwhile 1.2 TSI of the Vento with a DSG
Thanks for highlighting my error, guys!!

Sorry for misleading by putting up the link for the wrong review video. I have reported my post to moderators to remove the second video.

Mods: I have reported my post, kindly do the needful as I am unable to edit it now.
Old 12th September 2020, 09:52   #30
BHPian

The Rapid had a healthy 1.6 engine,
don't really understand the new trend of shrinking engines,
and slapping Turbos.

As the great Keith Duckworth, The father of F1 engines rightly said:
Quote:
"Turbochargers are for people who can't build engines."
Nitish.arnold is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com