Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 12:25   #1126
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

All this while seeing politicians make mockery of common man and coming up with lame arguments and comments about everything, I thought there was at least some HOPE with the Judiciary but now it hit the final nail in the coffin. RIP "HOPE of peaceful life in India."
Old 9th May 2012, 12:30   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Looks like the Police and Govt has again found a soft target!!
YET AGAIN.

Isn't is surprising how EFFECTIVE our traffic police can be when stupid resolutions like these are passed.

But when there is a real demand / emergency situation - during traffic jams, during red light jumps, during accidents, during road crimes committed by public transport, these same guys (=traffic police) are hardly to be found.

Enforcing the low beam, no horns, lane driving, ... - again never done by Traffic police.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:31   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
No where BTP have said they allow 70% VLT films. All they have said is 'free removal of sunfilms' & 'replacement with tinted glass'. The way I see is you have replace windshield, side window glasses & rear window glass with tinted glass.

Alternatively, is it possible to tint existing glass? If that is possible, since police don't have lux meter people can 'tint' to whatever VLT they want.
You're right. I too want to know if there is an alternative available in the market i.e. replacement tinted glasses with the prescribed VLT without installation of sun-films.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:32   #1129
BHPian

Point 8 in the copy of "Supreme Court Judgement on Tinted Glass" under latest announcement on Bangalore traffic police website. Judge for yourself where we are headed.

"8. The petitioner claims to have received various replies
from the police department of different States like Tamil Nadu,
West Bengal, Delhi and Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi.
Page 5
On the basis of the replies received under the provisions of the
Right to Information Act, 2005, copies of which have been
annexed to the writ petition, it is averred that these authorities
are of the unanimous opinion that black films should be
banned. Black filmed glasses help in commission of crime as
well as hiding the criminals even during vehicle checks at
‘Naka’ points. Non-availability of electronic devices to measure
violations and lack of police force to enforce the Rules are also
apparent from these replies. The petitioner also states that
the use of black films is not prevalent in developed and/or
developing countries all over the world. In fact, in some of the
countries, it is specifically banned. In Afghanistan, Belarus,
Nigeria, Uganda and even in Pakistan, use of black films on
the vehicle glasses is banned.
Use of black films is not
prevalent in United States of America, United Kingdom,
Germany and other countries as well."
Old 9th May 2012, 12:39   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
why this?

A separate rule for Bangalore?
Because it is TOI. They add some masala to any news. BTP has posted actual news on their facebook page. The camp is only for "Remove film". Not for putting something extra again! I was too surprised to read TOI news, then again I new it is TOI.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:47   #1131
BHPian

I got a mindblowing idea, the way some people smoked their headlight/tail light unit, can we do the same with our glasses keeping 70%/50% VLT where ever required? In this way we will have tinted glass without sun film and within Apex court's norms too. Anyone willing?
Old 9th May 2012, 12:47   #1132
Senior - BHPian

I cant stop to think outside the box a bit. Could it be some sort of a nexus with the sun fil makers?

Enforce the ban now, and may be a few months later, relax it back to 70VLT/50VLT. The sun film makers would be having a thriving business. For time being AC installers would be having a thriving business. We shouldnt be surprised if cost of new AC installation shoots up by 20-30% because of the demand.

I still wonder how people up North India manage with the heat during summers. Atleat comparitively in Bangalore, its a lot tolerable heat.

There is simply not enough logic in this rule and a terrible one:
1)They are trying to cut the leaves of a tree called crime and developing its roots. With so much of traffic, traffic jams, global warming and so many things, how on earth do you expect the general public to bear the heat with no tints on their glasses? What about cars that do not have AC?

2)Now people who were not using AC also will be forced to use AC. Meaning more damage to environment caused by usage of AC, more fuel used (as if we get petrol for 20 ruppees or as if we have too much money to spare)

3) They need to think intelligently, think of ways to curb crime by its roots.

4) What if the crime rate does not drop after this rule? Will they ask every one to stop using cars and bikes so that everyone needs to walk on the streets and their faces are visible?

5) Why dont they Ban helmets - Covers identity of the person and is very helpful in commiting crimes, right?

6) Why dont they ban people from wearing hats/goggles in public? Alters the identity of the person a bit right?

7) Ban people from using streets/footpaths where it is badly lit - Fine them heavily since you cant clearly make out who is walking right?

8) If an area is having a power cut, it should mean curphew, right?

Last edited by funkykar : 9th May 2012 at 12:55.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:48   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvikz View Post
Do they remove only 3M films or will they remove it even if it is Garware OEM for Hyundai?
I am not sure, but it looked that if you take any of the service offered by them, and ask to remove the films they will do it.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:49   #1134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I got a mindblowing idea, the way some people smoked their headlight/tail light unit, can we do the same with our glasses keeping 70%/50% VLT where ever required? In this way we will have tinted glass without sun film and within Apex court's norms too. Anyone willing?
Only problem is those don't have any defined VLT or UV rejection or any heat rejection properties.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:53   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Only problem is those don't have any defined VLT or UV rejection or any heat rejection properties.
UV Rejection will not be there but it can keep some amount of sunlight off the interiors, and if we get a luxometer, on experimental basis we can try if it can be done under the reqd VLT%.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:54   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Because it is TOI. They add some masala to any news. BTP has posted actual news on their facebook page. The camp is only for "Remove film". Not for putting something extra again! I was too surprised to read TOI news, then again I new it is TOI.
Looks like BTP is not clear on what they have to do. Found this on Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook page:

BLACK FILM BAN - CLARIFICATIONS
by Bangalore Traffic Police on Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 9:29pm ·
1)) BLACK FILMS CONTRIBUTE TO COOLING OF VEHICLES - but firstly only those who use air conditioning, do pull up the glasses & air conditioning provides cooling any ways & further if cooling was an issue, then only silver & white cars would have sold, since they not only absorb the least heat and also increase night visibility of vehicles, hence making them least prone to accidents !! Further black films on glasses have been banned, but coloured glasses complying to (70%) front & (50%) side visibility are allowed.

Last edited by coolclouds : 9th May 2012 at 12:57.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:56   #1137
Senior - BHPian

I've a question for y'all - is that tinted glass on my window or am I seeing things?
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-image926209370.jpg
The dark part is the sun film.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:59   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I've a question for y'all - is that tinted glass on my window or am I seeing things?
Attachment 925230
You got tint by birthright(of your car).
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 13:04   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvikz View Post
My Rebut on this:

6. "tomorrow if shops selling adulterated milk are shut will we protest ?? If these shops would not have mushroomed and sold illegal films in threatening proportions - the need of invoking a ban on black films, would not have arised" - Most idiotic premise i have sir, I am sorry to say this. To take into the same example you are giving, what you are doing is akin to telling that since some shops are selling adulterated milk, it should be made illegal to sell milk. The crack down has to be on these illegal films and not on the car owners having sun films within legal limits.
point 6 is like: Arrest the person who drink that adulterated milk and put a fine also. If no one use the milk there will be no adulteration.
Super Logic boss (The petitioner)
Old 9th May 2012, 13:05   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Attachment 925230
It is tinted glass. Most probably as per the standards as this is OEM. Which car is this? Some models come with tinted glass and some do not.

I have a Honda civic which has tinted glass whereas my i10 is plain glass.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks