Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2012, 22:28   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Already resource starved Traffic dept and so many things to take care, enforcing any rule and to the fullest is almost impossible and the department cant be blamed at all.

With resource crunch, with hardly any training and not being properly equipped and with so much to take care, actually they need to be applauded for whatever they are doing with alll these odds!

Am sure they will get the the entire police dept to get this law enforced.

Its sad to see how badly this whole thing is managed, today saw cops pulling down sunfilms from many cars and could see sunfilms all around, for sure they are setting a great example!

Last edited by lohithrao : 9th June 2012 at 22:30.
Old 9th June 2012, 22:41   #2537
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Latest Update for Bangloreans:

Looks like another extension is in the offing.
Somehow BTP sound so reachable! the DTP on the other hand is sadist. Mr. Garg, the facebook cop, posts how he removed films from embassy cars, and people in Delhi seem to like and get sadist pleasure out of it. If we lost it, others too should!

To me this rule is WRONG, and thats it. Anyone who had to remove a legal film because of this, was not a violator but a victim.

The sad part is, MOST of the cars with dark or 10-20% VLT films are still on the loose, and AAM AADMI is being penalized for something irrational.
Old 9th June 2012, 23:17   #2538
BHPian

I believe any modification to the vehicle needs to be approved by the RTO. This approval makes sure that the modification does not violate CMVR. Is it not possible to get sunfilms endorsed by the RTO? Expert opinions please...
Old 9th June 2012, 23:37   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I believe any modification to the vehicle needs to be approved by the RTO. This approval makes sure that the modification does not violate CMVR. Is it not possible to get sunfilms endorsed by the RTO? Expert opinions please...
Please visit ARAI's website and read documents pertaining to tests for each component. Once modified, each car has to undergo several mandatory checks by government-approved agencies to ascertain that structural changes and engine modifications that have been made do not compromise on safe operation of the vehicle on public roads. If there is no approval, the car cannot be taken on to the roads as the requisite certification/paper work is considered incomplete and the vehicle owner is considered to have violated the Motor Vehicles Act 1988.

This is a really long winded process and can take years. If you modify your automobile, you have to hand the car over for mandatory tests to prove its roadworthiness, before the RTO will endorse and you can legally drive the car again.

Rajan

Disclaimer: This is the legal way of modifying your car and I personally do not endorse to adapting short-cuts to expidite / circumvent the process.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 9th June 2012 at 23:42.
Old 10th June 2012, 00:03   #2540
BHPian

Today was out and about in Bangalore. But shocked to see cars with completely dark tints plying on the road. This keeps proving some proverb very right. Wont say it here as its pretty crude. Anyways was All the more :shocked: to see few senior citizens driving around without wearing seat belts. Thankfully the traffic police at the signal came and informed them about the seat belt and safety.

But dont know about sunfilms. Was near MSIL Cunningham road today and most of the cars passing through there had dark tints. I saw a car with no tints on the driver and front pax side but completely dark at the rear.
People in many sedans had put the cr70 films all around and its the best solution to this problem. Really wish atleast 70% or 80% VLT films are approved. Probably the drive will intensify from Monday.
Old 10th June 2012, 00:53   #2541
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I drive down to Bangalore late last night. Today, I had visited places like Devanahally, Ulsoor lake (to get chicken from Siddique's) and was driving in and around KR Puram.

Cars in Bangalore with tints are much lower than Chennai, but I was pretty surprised to see many "KA" registered cars with dark tints. Deadline was extended till the 9th. Does this mean that chips in Bangalore will impose fines from tomorrow onwards?

OT: Could not spot a single Team-BHPian's car.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:33   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Please visit ARAI's website and read documents pertaining to tests for each component.
I was taking about getting an endorsement only for the sunfilms. For endorsing sunfilms, I am not sure if the car has to go through such a lengthy test process. The test should be as simple as measuring the VLT and if it is within the specs, the RTO should endorse it. With this, the sunfilms should get treated as Original Equipment.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:38   #2543
Senior - BHPian

There is some activity today near perunglathur, tambaram opposite hindu mission hospital. People with darker tints are the ones questiones. Lighter ones are let go.
Old 10th June 2012, 13:49   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I was taking about getting an endorsement only for the sunfilms. For endorsing sunfilms, I am not sure if the car has to go through such a lengthy test process. The test should be as simple as measuring the VLT and if it is within the specs, the RTO should endorse it. With this, the sunfilms should get treated as Original Equipment.
I would very much like to agree, but unfortunately cannot. The vehicle is designed and a prototype is sent to the ARAI labs for testing and certification. Both IS and ARAI have multiple prescribed tests for each and every component.

There are after market products, like LPG conversion kits, that are independently tested by ARAI and certified and the RTO will have no issues endorsing the change in the RC book as these components are pre-approved.

When you build a custom car, it will have to go to ARAI for testing, unless you have used all pre-approved components, which is very unlikely.

The SC ruling has made all films illegal, thus nullifying any pre-approvals that might have existed. Even the so called "RTO approved" film is now illegal and the "RTO Approval" on such films is now null and void.

Hence my earlier response. I doubt if any RTO will test and approve any kind of film, unless the status quo changes.
Rajan

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th June 2012 at 00:34. Reason: Edited post, as requested. :)
Old 10th June 2012, 19:30   #2545
BHPian

Here is something that happened 10 mins back! My friend was caught by the traffic cops for having tinted sunfilms on her windows (Near Vijayanagar - Bangalore). The traffic cop tested her windows with a lux meter and let her go as it was within the approved limits!!

I feel like a fool for peeling off my sunfilms now!!

Last edited by Pri2 : 10th June 2012 at 19:35.
Old 10th June 2012, 19:38   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Here is something that happened 10 mins back! My friend was caught by the traffic cops for having tinted sunfilms on her windows (Near Vijayanagar - Bangalore). The traffic cop tested her windows with a lux meter and let her go as it was within the approved limits!!

From my experience, the Bangalore traffic police seems to be focusing on dark illegal tints only. I drove past a cop and he looked at my tint (70/50% VLT) and did not say anything, whereas he stopped a Skoda right behind me with dark tints.
Old 10th June 2012, 20:15   #2547
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning I visited ABT Maruti and while returning took a U turn at the Sardar Patel Road junction, when I saw a traffic sergeant on his bike and two traffic cops bang in front of me! But they did not at all react to my 50% tints and I proceeded on my way. To be honest I have never seen any crack down on this account so far, though I have read about them in papers.
Old 10th June 2012, 20:24   #2548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The traffic cop tested her windows with a lux meter and let her go as it was within the approved limits!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
From my experience, the Bangalore traffic police seems to be focusing on dark illegal tints only. I drove past a cop and he looked at my tint (70/50% VLT) and did not say anything, whereas he stopped a Skoda right behind me with dark tints.
Guess patience pays off here if you have the permissible(CMV rule) 70/50 VLT and still retained them.

Cheers!
Old 10th June 2012, 20:29   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Guess patience pays off here if you have the permissible(CMV rule) 70/50 VLT and still retained them.

Cheers!
Not sure yet. BTP tells me that they do not have any luxmeters and are saying that it was possibly RTO that tested the car. They are also saying they have not started enforcement yet and will start imposing fines only from next week.

Rajan

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th June 2012 at 14:34. Reason: Fixing typo "luxometer". ;)
Old 10th June 2012, 20:31   #2550
BHPian

Finally i got the tints removed this weekend. But i still see a lot of vehicles with dark tints in and around Basavanagudi, Jayanagar area. Cops seem to be doing nothing about them.

Quote:
argh !! This is like rubbing salt into my wounds. My tints were well within the legal limits, but removed them just last night.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks