Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 21:10   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplynitin View Post
Millions of people inconvenienced and Million of rupees down the drain but the crimes have not stopped.

Another crime in car
Quite frankly, the crimes will not stop! Why should they? All that the sun film ban has done is potentially taken away a tool from the hands of criminals, for a certain percentage of crimes.
If someone wants to commit a crime, then he/she will do so. If one tool is not available, then the criminal will either improvise or use some other tool.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:21   #2522
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The car in the picture doesn't have any sun film at all. And the crime happened between 11PM & 4AM in a deserted location. What is Mr Avishek Goenka's solution for this?
Just posted on his twitter wall.
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-saveaamadmi.jpg

Lets see how he reacts.But by mistake I saw his number of followers
And still rolling over the floor laughing.I was assuming by now he would have got mass attention.But I guess ignoring him is the best answer which twitterati gave.

Anyways on Bangalore roads still I see a sizable number of cars with dark films.Are people still confused or the cops haven't cracked down yet?
Alter_Ego is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 22:26   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
If someone wants to commit a crime, then he/she will do so. If one tool is not available, then the criminal will either improvise or use some other tool.
True. Thats precisely the reason why 'black-film' ban PIL must have been thrown out of the court. But court chose to (re)interpret the harmless CMV rule.
Old 8th June 2012, 23:24   #2524
BHPian

Check the "Save Aam Aadmi" page on Facebook. What a bunch of inbred idiots. Avishek Goenka clearly behind this half baked PIL purely for his 15 min of fame. Hope the review petition is successful in quashing this glory hound's PIL. Wonder if there is a petition to shut "save aam aadmi" down, how many BHP-ians will sign ?

Bangalore cops seem totally relaxed, been driving around with VLT 35% with no problems at all. Not even a glance. Noticed many darker shades around as well. Hope its a status quo !
Old 8th June 2012, 23:50   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Bangalore cops seem totally relaxed, been driving around with VLT 35% with no problems at all. Not even a glance. Noticed many darker shades around as well. Hope its a status quo !
Sorry to burst the bubble. BTP was tied up with GIM. You can expect to be stopped and fined any time starting tomorrow morning.

Rajan
Old 8th June 2012, 23:54   #2526
BHPian

@Rajan

Yes, I'm aware they are short staffed hence the "tint drive" hasn't started in full force yet. But the few cops that are stationed at signals etc, don't seem to care.

Yeah, they'll probably start the harassment tomorrow. Lets see how it goes.
Old 9th June 2012, 09:58   #2527
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed Bangalore Traffic Police constables carrying digital cameras. What is the purpose of these digital cameras ?

Are they planning to take photos of vehicles violating the traffic rules ?

Has this got anything to do with the ban on sun films ?

Rohan
Old 9th June 2012, 10:04   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
I have noticed Bangalore Traffic Police constables carrying digital cameras. What is the purpose of these digital cameras ?

Rohan
They take pictures of offending vehicles and then send them to their homes along with the penalty challans. No more stopping vehicles in the middle of congested traffic

Does anyone have reports of btp penalizing folks due to the tints? I think the drive was to start today after closure of GIM.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th June 2012 at 11:25. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:37   #2529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

BTP personnel have been carrying cameras for quite some time now.
Like nikhilesh said, they take pics & send the challan home. But it is not limited to the tints. The tints is just one more reason for them now.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:46   #2530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Adding to condor's post, they use these cameras for photographing minor offenses. I have personally seen them do it for
- 2 wheeler riders not wearing helmets
- Vehicles at signals stopping beyond the white line or on the zebra crossing.
- non-english registration number plates
- speaking on mobile phone while riding/driving
- jumping signals
- riding triples / quadruples / <add your number here> on 2 wheelers

I had posted about this yesterday when I saw a cop capturing a car with dark films and kannada no. plates. What libranof1987 said later made sense though - they may not do the camera thing for sunfilm offenses since sometimes, the glass may reflect light depending on the angle in which the cop photographs. Unless the film is very dark, its tough to prove that the 'film' was indeed a film.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th June 2012 at 10:48.
Old 9th June 2012, 15:08   #2531
Senior - BHPian

The deed is done. Half-done, at any rate.

I've removed the offending film from the side windows (except the 4 quarter glasses). Details here.

I've left the front and rear windscreen film on for now. Let's see what happens now.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th June 2012, 15:53   #2532
Senior - BHPian

saw cops stopping vehicles with tints opposite to Cisco on ORR today. It was in the direction towards Marathalli. So its on in Bangalore now!
Old 9th June 2012, 16:24   #2533
Senior - BHPian

After going through this thread for quite a while i am just feeling if we are over reacting slightly. Its a rule and we have to just move on. All the benefits of Sunfilm discussed here did not stop anyone from buying cars before sun film. The same bunch of us who are protesting against this sun film removal rule many times break quite a few law on the way. Be it parking on the street blocking the roads, stopping beyond the white line, Honking madly in front of an hospital zone, over speeding and what not. Someone following rules at all times and instances would invariably continue to follow any new rule that is being implemented.

I feel we should just move on and remove the films. I understand the other side of the arguement where there are far more important rules that needs priority in implementation like speed control, lane discipline, high beams control etc.

We can only be the change and make others follow. Currently less than 10% of entire population respect rules and regulations while driving. Others breach at one place or another. Self conscience will kill me if i said i have never broken any rules.

This is just another view point that we should move on and be an example in not just removing the sun film but by following other rules as well.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 17:55   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is just another view point that we should move on and be an example in not just removing the sun film but by following other rules as well.
Totally agree with your viewpoint here. However, I do not agree with your statement of us overreacting slightly. Let me explain:

1. Though BTP gave extended time, I removed Sun Control Film on 4th May
2. That costed me 18,500 of my hard earned money
3. The reaction is against the logic and reasoning of this issue
4. That does not mean we can disobey the law
5. While obeying the law and leading by example is great, I believe we should also question the rationale behind the ruling / law and make efforts to get it modified to suit the current times we live in.

Just for argument sake - what if another person, let us call him Goeshek Avinka, goes to court and files a PIL against tyre upsize. If you read the CMVR, tyre upsize is already illegal. Any modifications to essential components of the Automobile that is not approved by RTO is illegal. So if our Mr Goeshek goes to court, he is most likely to get a favourable ruling.

Most of us here know for a fact - both by first hand experience and proven research - that a tyre upsize done scientifically actually improves safety. What would we do then? Just say let us lead by example and rush to the tyre shop and downsize? Would we not try to protest and justify that this modification we have done actually improves safety? While we cannot say the same about Sun Control Film, it certainly brings in a lot of benefits, without compromising on safety, provided we do not go overboard. Of course some people decided to go overboard and put extra dark films. In the analogy we are using here, that would be akin to fitting 235 duellers on a M800.

No Sun Control Film manufacture promotes the "Bling Factor" as an usp for the product. They all talk about TSER, VLT, UV Rejection. Some of them also talk about IR rejection, but they know it is a load of jackshit. However, most users put sun control films for the wrong reasons - privacy and bling factor. Those are the ones that have reacted to this ruling by saying "my car looks naked". However, unknowingly, they have also been enjoying the real benefits of having film on their cars. I can guarantee you that people who wanted sun films on their cars for the real reasons the product is meant for, would have invariably chosen a very light film as they would have also been very consicous of visibilty and safety.

I can only hope that Mr. Goeshek Avinka does not exist

Rajan

Latest Update for Bangloreans:

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-flash-news.jpg

Looks like another extension is in the offing.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 9th June 2012 at 18:06.
Old 9th June 2012, 19:34   #2535
BHPian

Was around Jaynagar today in the area where there are several Car accessories shop. Was really funny to see the number of cars lined up, all getting their sun films removed. There was also a mobile sun-film removal Omni

I noticed cops had stopped few cars with really dark sun-films near Madivala checkpost around 12pm, not sure whether it was for the sun-film ban or something else.

Traveled around 50-60kms within Bangalore today and except for the incident mentioned above I did not see any cops stopping anyone for anything.

Clear indication that an extension is on the cards, relating to the post above by PatchyBoy.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks