Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 11:11   #2326
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So any updates on police action in Bangalore today ?
Drove from Sarjapur road to Ulsoor and everything was normal... Cops were stationed in Koramangala opposite Krupanidhi College but they seemed to be focused on catching those that jumped the signals. Likewise, saw policemen in Ulsoor near the Millenia towers but cops are usually seen in the daytime to stop signal offenders and remove cars parked on the road. No action specifically on sun film. Let's see how tomorrow is.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:13   #2327
BHPian

Side effects of the SunFilm ban!
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-image3004129907.jpg  

Pri2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 11:20   #2328
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

According to Deccan Herald and Udayavani, today is the last day to get the films removed. So its banned from tomorrow.

Its funny when people mention that sun film bans resulting in thefts. They were doing the wrong thing all these days keeping something exposed.

Last edited by srishiva : 5th June 2012 at 11:24.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 11:30   #2329
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2756633
One post suggesting how to prevent this. Though not 100% fool proof if you are targetted specifically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Side effects of the SunFilm ban!
Old 5th June 2012, 11:32   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
According to Deccan Herald and Udayavani, today is the last day to get the films removed. So its banned from tomorrow.

Its funny when people mention that sun film bans resulting in thefts. They were doing the wrong thing all these days keeping something exposed.
No offense meant, but I find your statement puzzling. Do you mean to say, placing one's mobile in the car whilst driving is wrong? Or installing an expensive stereo system wrong? If so, then owning a car in itself should be the biggest mistake or taking it further, even moving on the road or doing anything at all. Now, if a car is stolen, would you say that owning the car is what made the thief steal it and hence owning cars is wrong... Or if your house is looted, you might say owning a house and keeping valuables inside is wrong and hence, be a pauper and you wont get looted !!!!!!

What people are saying is, this rule has made every road user more vulnerable than earlier.. With some tints, passerbys will not notice an expensive mobile or a laptop / stereo in the car.. Now it is visible and it is just a matter of time before more incidents as the one reported above (of mobile stolen in Bommanahalli) become common !

Neither the supreme court nor the genius who filed the PIL seem to have thought of all of these issues. And for those that argue about tints not allowed in western countries / Dubai etc, none of those places will report these kind of menace / thefts because of the super strong govt and police mechanism which will take the offenders to task. Here, simply because of a an inefficiency in the implementation mechanism, genuine tax payers and citizens are taken for a ride. And I am not even touching the topic of ill effects on the skin because of the ridiculous comparisons other BHPians seem to link this to..,..... Anyone that reads the paper will know the real effects.
aroonanand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 11:35   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
According to this logic, we shouldn't keep anything exposed anywhere, and if theft happens, it's because valuables were exposed. Same way, if a chain is snatched from a woman's neck, we should blame the woman for wearing gold in public!

BTW, i completely agree with your comment!! It's always funny when it happens to someone else!!
Old 5th June 2012, 11:39   #2332
Senior - BHPian

@aroonanand, things kept on dashboard will be visible even without tints on windows. So whats the point? Its opening the window that resulted in the theft.

Majority of films were illegal, they were darker than prescribed limits. Its the right time to close this thread since discussions are going off topic.

@Pri2, yes its funny when it happens to others and if it happens to me, then I am stupid.

Last edited by srishiva : 5th June 2012 at 11:40.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 11:44   #2333
BHPian

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-btp-fb.jpg

Thanks,

Rajan
Old 5th June 2012, 11:45   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@aroonanand, things kept on dashboard will be visible even without tints on windows. So whats the point? Its opening the window that resulted in the theft.

Majority of films were illegal, they were darker than prescribed limits. Its the right time to close this thread since discussions are going off topic.

@Pri2, yes its funny when it happens to others and if it happens to me, then I am stupid.
Well, talking of going off topic, I guess it was you that remarked of people being in the wrong by keeping things in their own car... And yeah, what about items kept in the rear seat or near the hand brake - surely these are not visible from the windshield, so obviously it has to be the side windows... and so your advocacy is not to open windows anytime at all, because your items will get stolen and if it gets stolen, it is the owners mistake as he drove the car and opened the window... Cmon, give us a break

And yeah, no point in spending time responding to such posts I guess.... Will wait for the time when you realize it is no longer funny when it happens to others (when it happens to you) and then hear your words of wisdom !
aroonanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 12:25   #2335
Senior - BHPian

I had my first experience on the sunfilm episode yesterday. I was pulled over for having sunfilms and was asked to pay a fine.

Don't remember where it happened and how much I paid, because today morning I realized it was only a dream.

I guess I need to focus on things other than sunfilms.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:03   #2336
Senior - BHPian

I am pushing my luck. Have consciously decided to remove only after i get caught. Ready to face the penalty and push my luck. At least i drive within speed limits and stop for red signal and follow other sane rules. So i am taking a chance and will enjoy the films till it lasts.

The only way i see a modification in verdict wouldbe use of specific films with specific visibility parameter. The industry is tooo big to let it die.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:19   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, Bangalore seems to be becoming a favourite playground for goons to try out all sorts of frauds/thefts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand
I guess it was you that remarked of people being in the wrong by keeping things in their own car... And yeah, what about items kept in the rear seat or near the hand brake - surely these are not visible from the windshield...
In our own interest, it is always recommmended to keep costly items out of view in the car. I remember my friend in the US insisting on keeping all our electronic purchases in the boot, when I plonked them on the rear seat. So, it is not about a specific state or country - just be safe rather than sorry.

I normally keep my laptop bag on the floor behind the driver seat. But when I have to park the car at a public place (mall / hotel), I move it to the boot. Why give cause for temptation ?

And coming to whether sunfilms can help save valuables in the car, even if there is an amendment to the SC ruling allowing sunfilms as long as the VLT of 70/50 (I hope I got the figures right) mentioned in the MV act is adhered to, these films are going to be light enough to give someone a basic picture of what is inside the car.

The only way to hide interiors completely is to use pitch-dark films, which would anyway be illegal, whether an amendment to the ruling comes or not.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 5th June 2012 at 13:21.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:25   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
This also reminds me of a dialog from "The Dark Knight" -

Because he's the hero our cars deserve, but not the one they need right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark film.

Anger, revolt, justification, avoidance, reconciliation and humour. We've come full circle.

I returned to Gurgaon today and there's a significant drop in the percentage of cars with films on their glasses over 2 weeks. And a lot more cars with chipkoos on them. Perhaps this perception is just because things are normal in Hyderabad, where I was for 2 weeks. I saw cops challenging cars at Exit 10 (Mini Secretariat/Sohna) of the NH8. I've decided to de-film my car's windows this weekend.

Regards,
spadix

Welcome back to Gurgaon Sir. I also DE-Filmed my car with a very heavy heart. Removed the Sunfilm from the side windows. Kept the front and back.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:02   #2339
BHPian

Was really waiting for something to change. Alteast they would have allowed permissible [70/50] films

Now need to get it removed
Old 5th June 2012, 14:24   #2340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
18.5K down the drain and here i was crying for my 4K spent on RE50s. Not touching my CR70 on the windshield.

And may be once the dust settles go for CR70 on the sides too.
3M CR50 on the sides and 3M CR70 on front and back of my Cruze - Rs 27,000/.
3M CR70 on all windows of the 2 month old Innova - Rs 34,500/.

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 5th June 2012 at 14:27.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks