Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2008, 18:08   #136
BHPian

I once had to use my friend's santro which had black tints. It was a nuisance to drive and I found it very difficult. Now a days, we have better quality tints with increased heat rejection but at the same time, providing better visibilty. Maybe we can make do with those.
Old 7th January 2008, 18:47   #137
BANNED

BTW, anybody know of a simple and at least, rough method to identify if the sunfilm is 50/70 rule?

I had put in Garware classic on the windows; the brochure said 32-40%, but it certainly looks extremely dark than 50%.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:37   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its a sad thing that in India, one needs to be related to a politician to have sun films on his car.
for that matter, even to make a doctor's appointment you need to have an approach if you don't want a long wait, no matter how much in advance you make it.

it's a saddistic pleasure we take in wasting other's time and money and peace of mind.
Old 7th January 2008, 21:57   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
BTW, anybody know of a simple and at least, rough method to identify if the sunfilm is 50/70 rule?

I had put in Garware classic on the windows; the brochure said 32-40%, but it certainly looks extremely dark than 50%.
As per my knowledge, you can recognize them while installation i.e. the films has a separate layer of sheet on which intensity of film is written, Lower the no. Darker the Film

Like XX No.

Someone confirm the same !!
Old 14th April 2008, 23:50   #140
BHPian

Transparent vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My concern is about visibility being hampered due to the car in front having full-black films - does not allow me to see the vehicles in front of it, to be able to drive safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
i for one am against pitch black tints especially on the rear windshield. i find it quite uncomfortable (psychologically) when my view is blocked i cant see the situation of the road ahead
Hope future generations dont ask for transparent vehicles to get a better view of what is happening in front! Might be of use if the passengers (not to mention their dresses!) and cargo are also transparent!!

A vehicle can go fully boarded up and you will not have any clue as to what is happening inside; but if you have windows, they should be transparent for all and sundry to see what is happening inside. What a joke

The dark sunfilms
1. Cut out the heat and help in quicker cooling
2. Give privacy to the occupants of the car from prying eyes
3. Apparently also prevent fading of the upholstery

and for these reasons should be left to the choice of the car owner IMHO.

PS: What is the current rule in Chennai and how come we do not have a universal rule across the country?
Old 15th April 2008, 08:51   #141
Senior - BHPian

Not sure what your point is Murugan, but my intention is not to see what is happening inside the other car, but to be able to see ahead of it, so that I can drive safely, without bumping the guy in front. It is a known fact that people can take faster evasive action (braking), if they can see the vehicle in front of the one they are following.
Old 15th April 2008, 21:48   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what your point is Murugan, but my intention is not to see what is happening inside the other car, but to be able to see ahead of it, so that I can drive safely, without bumping the guy in front.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Hope future generations dont ask for transparent vehicles to get a better view of what is happening in front! Might be of use if the passengers (not to mention their dresses!) and cargo are also transparent!!

A vehicle can go fully boarded up and you will not have any clue as to what is happening inside; but if you have windows, they should be transparent for all and sundry to see what is happening inside. What a joke
My apologies if I have not been clear.

What I meant is - There are so many vehicles larger than our cars (buses, lorries etc) which block our view of the road ahead. Still we manage to drive (safely). So why take it on cars and their owners? Let them go ahead and put whatever sunfilm suits their fancy.

I also did not mean that any person on this forum wants to see what is happening inside the cars of others; but there may be other curious people on the road who want to see what they dont have any need to.
Old 15th April 2008, 21:58   #143
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what your point is Murugan, but my intention is not to see what is happening inside the other car,
Whats wrong with seeing what is happening inside the other car? In NCR (National crime region), there have been so many instances of crimes committed inside cars. Banning dark films or having lighter films will allow cops and common ppl to see whats happening inside. In case of a crime being committed, hopefully someone conscientious enough will do something about it.
Old 15th April 2008, 22:20   #144
BANNED

here in hyderabad also dark tinted glasses are banned this rule came in around 3 months ago....

Actually the traffic police will put a red sticker on the car having dark tinted glass like a warning (it happens at the signal junctions when the cars stop),and with in 15 days the tints should be removed and should take the vehicle to the rto office to get the vehicle certified .

But noww this rule became lite no one is caring about that rule ,.my zen has dark tints even the front wind shield but till now no one caught me...
Old 21st April 2008, 21:04   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
here in hyderabad also dark tinted glasses are banned this rule came in around 3 months ago....

Actually the traffic police will put a red sticker on the car having dark tinted glass like a warning (it happens at the signal junctions when the cars stop),and with in 15 days the tints should be removed and should take the vehicle to the rto office to get the vehicle certified .

But noww this rule became lite no one is caring about that rule ,.my zen has dark tints even the front wind shield but till now no one caught me...
I have got the red corner notice (read sticker) on my car. Eventually got the tints removed. But I see that off late the traffic cops are no more hunting after cars with tinted glass. Does any one from Hyderabad has an update if the tint rule is relaxed here? If so, I will put the tint back. Summers are killing here!
Old 12th March 2012, 08:32   #146
Senior - BHPian

re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible limit

I've got SR 20 tints (am guessing 20% VLT). Havent had a problem with kerala cops in 3 years, Would they be a problem in chennai ?
Old 12th March 2012, 08:51   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've got SR 20 tints (am guessing 20% VLT). Havent had a problem with kerala cops in 3 years, Would they be a problem in chennai ?
@Greenhorn, you have posted on a 3+ yr old thread
If you are only passing through, then lesser chances of getting caught. While you are there, drive with the windows down, may be ?
Old 12th March 2012, 09:33   #148
Senior - BHPian

re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible limit

I know, I just became aware of it when I saw the discussion of CrazyDriver's new punto which apparently has too dark Tints.

I'm not passing through - I'm relocating for the medium term , and in that dust and heat, I would rather drive with the AC ON (I usually always drive with the AC on)
Old 12th March 2012, 09:45   #149
BHPian

@greenhorn-don't bother. This rule is not really in force.
neoranjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 09:48   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I know, I just became aware of it when I saw the discussion of CrazyDriver's new punto which apparently has too dark Tints.

I'm not passing through - I'm relocating for the medium term , and in that dust and heat, I would rather drive with the AC ON (I usually always drive with the AC on)
There is no problem in Chennai regarding the dark glasses. The political class always has the darkest tint in their MUVs and nobody gives even a glance.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks