Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 00:27   #61
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_breakfree View Post
The Esteem you see in picture is West Bengal registered. These Hilux's are mostly destined to Bhutan.
That kind of sounds like a more plausible explanation, but I still wish these to be some test mules destined for India.

Apart from Thar which is already seriously late, we don't really have any 4×4 options available till 35-40l mark. yeah we "had" Isuzu D-max, but it's BS4 model was very old and BS6 is still not announced.

Any new option in this category will only increase the competition (however small that it may be).
Old 1st June 2021, 09:23   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Hilux could launch in the coming months. Parts-sharing will keep a check on costs. Toyota could adopt an aggressive pricing strategy to rival Isuzu V-Cross in India.

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-20210531045746_toyota_hilux_2021.jpg

Toyota could offer the Hilux with the Innova’s 150hp, 2.4-litre diesel engine and two-wheel drive in the entry-level variants to keep costs aggressive, while the higher versions will get a 204hp, 2.8-litre diesel engine from the Fortuner, mated to either a manual or automatic transmission, with two- or four-wheel drive.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 1st June 2021 at 09:25.
Venkatesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 09:46   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Toyota Hilux could launch in the coming months. Parts-sharing will keep a check on costs. Toyota could adopt an aggressive pricing strategy to rival Isuzu V-Cross in India....
Toyota could offer the Hilux with the Innova’s 150hp, 2.4-litre diesel engine and two-wheel drive in the entry-level variants to keep costs aggressive, while the higher versions will get a 204hp, 2.8-litre diesel engine from the Fortuner, mated to either a manual or automatic transmission, with two- or four-wheel drive.
Guess Isuzu played themselves. Toyota would have been sitting on the fence, but with the latest pricing of the Hi-lander and V-Cross, Toyota would be more than happy to rival Isuzu. While Isuzu is reluctant to pass on the cost benefits of selling a generation old car, Toyota could very well use their economies of scale by part sharing with two successful models that already enjoy huge margins.

Who in their right mind would buy an Isuzu when they could have a Toyota at the same price? Assuming Toyota doesn't get greedy. Tax difference for CVs and PVs is another matter altogether.

Hope the Hilux is sold with the whole gamut of variants, engines and drivetrain options. If Toyota is even dreaming of selling it as an equal priced open bed alternative to the Fortuner, God bless them.
DicKy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 10:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Hope the Hilux is sold with the whole gamut of variants, engines and drivetrain options. If Toyota is even dreaming of selling it as an equal priced open bed alternative to the Fortuner, God bless them.
Knowing Toyota, this won't come cheap. There is a void between 30-40L(OTR) bracket in Toyota's lineup now and I am sure if at all Hilux is to make it to our shores, this will overlap with top end Innova and base model Fortuner.
At 40L OTR for 2.8 4x4AT, good chunk of 4x4 enthusiasts will pick this over Fortuner. Fortuner will attract folks who need a SUV and 4x4.
PrideRed is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 11:20   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
At 40L OTR for 2.8 4x4AT, good chunk of 4x4 enthusiasts will pick this over Fortuner. Fortuner will attract folks who need a SUV and 4x4.
No chance at 40L OTR people will be picking Hilux over Fortuner! In India the pick-up/ute market is a niche, not many people will consider it over a conventional SUV.

The rear seats of the Hilux are not comfortable, they are pretty upright. The rear suspension has leaf-springs so ride quality when the bed is unladen is really bad. People still do not like the Fortuner's ride quality, they will in no way like the Hilux's ride quality. The bed will need to be laden at all times for the ride quality to improve.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 11:59   #66
BHPian

GREAT NEWS!

But I think for this to be successful the ideal price range should be between 20lacs to 30lacs.
I see more people buying the Hilux than the V-cross for sure. Hilux has much better brand recall. And the Toyota badge really does count for something.

I don't think the Fortuner buyer and the Hilux buyer will be the same. Both will appeal to a different set of people. So cross-shopping may not happen. Unless the Hilux is very very aggressively priced. Then the value proposition will be too big to ignore.
Old 1st June 2021, 13:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hilux should be placed in the same band as Crysta for it to have any success. I wish they give 4x4 to the 2.4-liter engine too. In some markets, Fortuner 4x4 is available with a 2.4 litre engine. While it may not be the fastest or the most powerful one, it would still be a good offroader with its low-end torque and differential locks.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 01:09   #68
BHPian

Toyota is working with Suzuki to cover up under 15L Segment SUV and MUV. They might be trying to fill in the gap between 15L to 25L segment, now I do not expect Hilux to be priced below 25L but since it shares a lot of parts with Fortuner, You never know that they might price it competitive.

If this brings good sales number, We might also see Ford Ranger coming in or F150 (I doubt it will come that quick in India).
swunkjyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:08   #69
BHPian

At this point, Ford should jump with the Ranger Raptor as well (perhaps next gen?). This could really be the nucleus of the lifestyle pick-up truck trend in India.

Hiluxes and V-maxes aren’t for me though, their back seats are very uncomfortable due to their leaf-springs as these are still very utilitarian vehicles unlike the F150s and GMC Sierras which ride like luxury cars now!
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 14:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear Hilux being brought to India. It is been a long wait!

Here are few of photos of my 2010 Hilux, special edition special ordered from UAE Toyota Dealership in 2010.

Never Failed Me, anywhere!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-1a510c844a65476f9633f74dba7f9855.jpg  

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-02e85afcf93045a7bab8a763c69cd054.jpg  

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-5a7900d823d0451ab8a8a1f4ddfa1511.jpg  

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-e138ada8b1684fbca5f48ca503029425.jpg  

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-f6ca3c13920d4aac996d389c08107c69.jpg  

Parm is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 15:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Parts sharing to keep cost down, I doubt that. Toyota does not know how to keep costs down atleast in India. I am sure it will share the price of the Hilux with the likes of the Fortuner/Prado etc and will be on the higher side. These trucks are like workhorses, not really probably meant for the elite but I am sure it would be priced for the rich and the famous.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 15:10   #72
Team-BHP Support

The indestructible truck finally makes it here! I recall the famous Top Gear episode where they subject an old Hilux to so much of abuse and the engine still cranked! Man, that was quite something.

Knowing Toyota’s infamous pricing strategy for the Innova and Fortuner and Hilux’s worldwide reputation for being a super reliable pickup, I don’t expect them to price it anywhere close to the Isuzu V-Cross. And despite the high pricing, it will still find takers.

Good luck to prospective owners of this one-of-a-kind beast!
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 16:19   #73
BHPian

I want one, but I am sure they will price it quite high and only very few will buy. Pickup trucks are not everyone's cup of Tea. Toyota India will eventually blame that the taxes are quite high in this country.

Hope Toyota will not make Isuzu D-max appear value for money product.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 16:46   #74
BHPian

One thing I can say is owners considering buying the Hilux, buy it as soon as it is launched. The more you wait, the more you pay for absolutely nothing more. That's the way it is with Toyota.

And another thing, this thing's ride quality is going to shatter bones. The Fortuner, with it's already hard ride quality is going to feel like a luxury car compared to this.
Big Smoke is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 02:10   #75
BHPian

Look at Mahindra Thar, it has 50000 bookings and waiting period in months. Can i say car buyer choices are changing in India.
Looking at US market, not everyone who owns a pickup truck hauls stuff on a daily basis, they use it occasionally for back country camping, moving furniture, towing boats, etc. When an average person changes his car around 2 lakh miles, pickup truck ownership is atleast 4 lakh miles. They are rugged and low cost of ownership.
Applying to maturing consumer trend back here in India, I see people will buy to haul activa and stay at a highway hotel and avoid mad traffic in city. Hobby farm land owners wont wink an eye before adding a pick truck from Toyota to their garage.
This is already a 50% fortuner. This will nicely compliment Toyotas volume side by side with fortuner.
vinbie2019 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks