Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 06:52   #1
BHPian

Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!

Kerala MVD has issued a fine of Rs 48,000 to Abin Abraham, who is the owner of a highly modded Isuzu V-Cross. The action of MVD comes after someone anonymously sent a tip to the police about the car.
However, the owner has decided to contest the fine in a court and not pay the fine to cops directly. Given the extensive modifications done to the vehicle, I don’t see him getting away.

https://www.cartoq.com/v-max-challan/
Attached Thumbnails
Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!-8d3510d47c4a4b9495a25fcc8ed075d2.jpeg  

Last edited by John : 15th August 2020 at 06:56.
John is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 10:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!

True that this one vehicle is heavily moded and thus should be fined as per our rules and the MVD has done their job. But the problem is that there are some ill minded people out there who just want to inform every vehicle that has a minor or major modification which has some public attention. Either through social media or otherwise. Just for their mental satisfaction. Such dirty mindset of some people.
#ABTorquey is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 11:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!

That is one awesomely hot looking V-Cross.

Can anyone share the list of parts and accessories that the owner has installed on the vehicle?

I hope the vehicle is taken off-road going by all the mods instead of just show.
n_aditya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 11:47   #4
BHPian

Given that the owner has decided to go to the court, I'd guess the only defense could be that he'd only use the vehicle in his private farm or a track, and not on public roads. Very hard to prove unless he owns (or has access to) the land/track, apart from the fact that the police department should not have any proof of the vehicle being used on public roads.
WorkingGuru is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 11:56   #5
BHPian

This car is a regular feature on a lot of kerala based off-road forums and pages, so it's a victim of it's own fame. Do not know what caused someone to send in a complaint/tip now, it's been around for a while. Sad to hear of the MVD action, but the rules haven't changed so i guess one can't complain.

Unless we have a policy that recognises that mods are also part of the automotive scene, this will continue to happen. For OEMs, it suits their business model to keep policy restrictive. Flip side, it does keep out a lot of dangerous fly-by-night operators who fiddle with your wheels and disappear, only for you to pay a huge price down the line.
philipmathen is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Wow there seems to be an increase in the number of Karen's who are snitching in India, and obviously the legal system is gonna target the car guys while all the real criminals get away scot-free. It's funny how mods are deemed illegal because they're "dangerous" but you will see Government buses that are nearly falling apart being driven dangerously on the roads, not the mention the crap safety standards Manufacturers are allowed to get away with in India.

Last edited by Revmatch99 : 15th August 2020 at 12:14.
Revmatch99 is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

One whatsapp voice message from the owner of this car (An old FB friend of mine) said that they did not charge him the fines since the car was found within a private property when they checked.
clevermax is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
Unless we have a policy that recognises that mods are also part of the automotive scene, this will continue to happen. For OEMs, it suits their business model to keep policy restrictive. Flip side, it does keep out a lot of dangerous fly-by-night operators who fiddle with your wheels and disappear, only for you to pay a huge price down the line.
Until there is a system whereby after market performance parts and such modifications can be certified as safe and legal, enthusiasts are going to face such hurdles.
And yes, we have our fair share of Karen’s and Kevins!
John is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Until there is a system whereby after market performance parts and such modifications can be certified as safe and legal, enthusiasts are going to face such hurdles.
And yes, we have our fair share of Karen’s and Kevins!
Agree, unfortunately, that is in the enthusiast's domain, and nobody of that persuasion in the corridors of power(that i know of).Heck, the latest diktat on EVs being registered without batteries tells you of our priorities! Harks back to whoever had the bright idea of drive away truck/bus chassis-we are still paying for that unmitigated disaster.
philipmathen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:38   #10

Heroes then, outlaws now. Sad state of affairs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.onm...loods.amp.html
roshanvalsan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Kerala MVD has issued a fine of Rs 48,000 to Abin Abraham, who is the owner of a highly modded Isuzu V-Cross. The action of MVD comes after someone anonymously sent a tip to the police about the car.
However, the owner has decided to contest the fine in a court and not pay the fine to cops directly. Given the extensive modifications done to the vehicle, I don’t see him getting away.

https://www.cartoq.com/v-max-challan/
Okay, please don't judge me for this, but whenever Kerala is flooded by torrential rains even before state relief management authorities and NDRF, it is these off roading groups with lift kits on their SUVs like Mitsubishi Pajeros, Tata Sierras , Tata Safaris, Mahindra Thars, Boleros and Isuzu V cross vehicles, went to flooded areas and supplied food materials and also rescued many people. I have seen multiple posts and threads of the same in Team BHP itself. I hope MVD and courts would be a little lenient on these people. They are not here to create ruckus with their intimidating looking trucks, but to help people when needed. The toughest looking people are always kinder. More than asthetic these are functional mods. Fining or banning these mods will discourage others from modifying and in emergency situation they cannot help anyone. It's better to be self equipped than depending on someone else in these situations as time is the key to save lives.

Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!-1597474876829.jpg
Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!-1597474894269.jpg
Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!-1597474910151.jpg
Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!-1597474925911.jpg
Kerala MVD issues Rs 48,000 challan to owner of a heavily modified Isuzu V-Cross!-1597474939911.jpg

More information here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...lief-work.html (Offroaders with a big heart! 4x4s doing flood relief work)

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 15th August 2020 at 12:52.
WhiteSierra is offline   (133) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:45   #12
BHPian

I am sure there must be certain rules and regulations for modification of one's personal vehicle. If the car is within those rules then contesting is justified. To me though, it does not look all is well with this car. Personally I would never go overboard with this much modification.

Having said that, I must say our country has some of the most 'self-contradicting' rules as well, in so many sectors.
Mynameis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 12:57   #13
BHPian

This particular mod job is extreme and in no way should be road legal unless used exclusively as a competition vehicle. Will be difficult to get off the case.
Even slightly modded vehicles are not spared these days by the MVD.
tomraven99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 13:18   #14
BHPian

I am not against modding (even I am a modding enthusiast) but the mods must be done within the ambit of the law. Otherwise it is at own risk and one must be ready to face the law.

In Germany, any modding related to safety relevant components such as engine, chassis, exterior lighting, wheels, suspension, etc. must be either preapproved by TüV or the vehicle owner has to get the approval at his own cost for the mod before driving on public roads. And here for every car you can get a lot of such preapproved mods in the aftermarket as well as from OEMs.

Unfortunately our market is neither mature enough to offer preapproved mods nor we have any competent agency to approve safe mods done on the vehicle.

I agree with one of the comments above that a lot of goverment buses and trucks which are in falling apart condition but still plying on the roads risking hundreds of passengers and other vehicles on road. Those vehicles must be seized first!
gopi_rm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 13:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Isuzu has giant lift kits, tyres, halogens, bull-bars and odd placement of number plates and the owner is wondering why is he getting fined? I mean it's a great mod, but he's lucky that he is just fined 48,000 for that. If that car gets into an accident how exactly is the insurance supposed to work out, not to mention the damage it might cause to the other car.
avishar is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks