Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 11:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta sales cross the 5 lakh mark in 5 years

Hyundai has reached a new sales milestone. The carmaker has sold over 5 lakh units of the Creta in India.

Hyundai Creta sales cross the 5 lakh mark in 5 years-hyundai-creta-crosses-5-00-000-domestic-market-sales.jpg

The Creta was introduced in the Indian market back in 2015, which means, on average, Hyundai sold 1 lakh units of the crossover every year.

In March this year, Hyundai launched the second generation model in India. Despite the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic and the subsequent lockdown, the SUV has garnered over 65,000 bookings since launch.

In July 2020, Hyundai sold 11,549 units of the new Creta. It has been the best-selling SUV for the last 3 months. According to Hyundai, diesel variants account for 60% of the total Creta sales. Combined total sales of the Creta, Venue, Tucson and Kona Electric between April-July 2020 stood at 34,212 units.

The second generation Creta is available in 7 petrol and 5 diesel variants, with prices starting at Rs. 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The SUV comes with three engine options. These include a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine producing 113 BHP and 144 Nm, a 1.4-litre, turbo petrol that makes 138 BHP and 242 Nm and a 1.5-litre diesel engine that puts out 113 BHP and 250 Nm. The petrol engines are available with 6-speed manual, 7-speed DCT and a CVT, while the diesel engine comes with either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission.

The Hyundai Creta is also exported to 88 countries.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 20:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta sales cross the 5 lakh mark in 5 years

What (according to me) ticked the boxes for Creta?

1. Timing - Hyundai is aggressive in launching cars in India. As soon as they realised that the 5 seater 'SUV' market is growing significantly, they left no stone unturned to launch the Creta ASAP

2 Brand & Service - Hyundai is loved by us since the days of Santro. With an extensive dealer network spread across the country, the 2nd largest car maker has a major advantage over it's rivals like Kia. They've also received the top spot for customer satisfaction in JD power study in 2018 with a score of 848/1000. 55% of them also revealed they would get their car serviced at the dealership after the warranty expires

3. Styling (Old Creta) - Code named as ix25 the car was ruling hearts in the spy shots across the Globe. It looked more mature than any other 'SUV' in that price bracket. A very proportionate design unlike the new model which is polarising

4. Engine gearbox options - Manual, Automatic, Petrol and Diesel, it had it all. Also the availability of diesel automatic was a boon. Brands like Jeep who got in the diesel automatic in Compass way too late have lost significant customers to other cars

5. Resale Value - Creta is pretty dominant in the used car market. Some buyers also consider resale value as one of the parameters while making a purchase. A car with better resale value also means relatively higher ROI

6. Safety Features - All variants came with rear parking sensors, dual Airbags and ABS. Period. The higher variants offered rear camera, hill-assist, electronic stability control, static bending lights etc. The older model scored 4 stars in NCAP safety rating

7. Wonder warranty - The recently launched flexible warranty of 3 yrs/unlimited km or 4 yrs/60k km or 5 yrs/50k km lets buyers choose it according to their usage pattern

8. New Creta - Although approximately just 10% of the sales are from the new model, Hyundai offered (almost) everything the buyer wants at this price point. The Panoramic sunroof is enough to play the trump card for most of them. Also, the new model is improved in every possible way especially in the driving dynamics.
Zahoor23 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 22:11   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
The older model scored 4 stars in NCAP safety rating.
That was Latin NCAP, the test car had a weight of 1486 kg, very different from that sold in India, although the Latin American Creta is made in India! Talk about irony! I’m sure Hyundai would have given Creta for GNCAP testing if they were confident of getting 4*. I don’t think our Creta is as safe as the one exported, sad but it is what it is. I wish Hyundai had shown more transparency when it comes to safety by sending their cars to GNCAP.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th August 2020 at 02:57. Reason: Quote fixed.
The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 22:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
That was Latin NCAP, the test car had a weight of 1486 kg, very different from that sold in India, although the Latin American Creta is made in India! Talk about irony!
1496KG is the crash test weight with 2 adults and 1 child dummies.

https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...ta-+-2-airbags

Congratulations Hyundai India for Half Million mark , never expected Creta will be a hit like this at the time of launch. Scross and Creta were launched together Creta surpassed 500K unit sales , Scross has done 125K in 5 years .
Maruti should have launched Vitara instead of Scross in 2015, missed opportunity.

Now with Kia they have expanded their market share further clap !

Last edited by aah78 : 12th August 2020 at 02:58. Reason: Quote fixed.
TorqueIndia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 07:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That is not a car; it is in fact an RBI-approved money printing machine .

Well-deserved success to Hyundai! In the midst of the small EcoSport & antique Duster, they brought the 2nd "complete" product in the 15-lakh monocoque Crossover space. While the XUV500 was the first, it was too big for many urban folk, had niggles and there is of course the brand baggage.

Hyundai made it look easy! Fact is, it was anything but. They worked hard and got the car spot-on. Even 5 years after introduction, giants like Maruti / Honda / Toyota have nothing to offer in this space. Tata tried & failed. A Chinese giant entered the segment and met with average success (Hector). The only other mega-success story in this segment has been Hyundai's sibling, Kia.

The new Creta might be ugly, yet as a product, it is superb. Believe it or not, it is also a Hyundai that behaves well at high speed . Who would have thought???

Last edited by GTO : 12th August 2020 at 08:49.
GTO is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 08:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That is not a car; it is in fact an RBI-approved money printing machine .

Hyundai made it look easy! Fact is, it was anything but. They worked hard and got the car spot-on. Even 5 years after introduction, giants like Maruti / Honda / Toyota have nothing to offer in this space. Tata tried & failed. A Chinese giant entered the segment and met with average success (Hector). The only other mega-success story in this segment has been Hyundai's sibling, Kia.
A car I like and a fact I hate. I still stand by what I said earlier, Creta is not worth the money but no other company is even close to offer a complete package like Creta. And this allows them to command a premium of couple of Lakhs.
I sincerely hope they have resolved the braking issue. Apart from that it is really difficult to find fault with the package. Few in my relatives picked up Creta, there was no discussion on what car to buy at all. It was Creta by default.

Good to see at least for one major manufacturer India is an important market and it shows in the effort. We buy Hyundai products and they launch newer tech in India unlike so the called German engineering which have been selling decade old stuff.
Creta success proves we are not a cheap car country, show us a good product that fits our needs and we are ready to pay a reasonable price for it.
aniyo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:

The new Creta might be ugly, yet as a product, it is superb. Believe it or not, it is also a Hyundai that behaves well at high speed . Who would have thought???
When I first saw the images, I agreed with this assertion. Creta looked positively ugly. But in person it isn't half as bad. Is it the benchmark in aesthetics? Nope. It's well overdone for my taste. But it is not as bad as I thought it would be. and frankly unlike Honda and Maruti, Hyundai have *hugely* improved their build. Was really impressed with some of their cars.

Honestly. If I needed an upright car, won't mind.
Annibaddh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

I must say, while Maruti might be selling more cars, Hyundai-Kia are the ones seeing the profits. They know exactly what the Indian market wants - a good interior, lots of features and most importantly a peace of mind during the ownership. Also Hyundai is aggressive by constantly trying to enter new segments while other brands stop trying after a one or two successful products, the examples being:

1) Ford launched the successful Ecosport and then stopped trying (we still don't have a new-gen)

2) Toyota has the Innova and Fortuner but stopped trying in any other segment.

3) Honda has the Amaze and City but stopped trying in any other segment.

4) VW and Skoda .......................... never mind. But atleast they are trying with the 2.0 strategy.

The only other maker who seem to be ready to take risks is Renault, they are good in finding new segments in which they can aggressively launch new (albeit inexpensive) products.

According to statistica (link), the projected revenue for Hyundai in India is $8.1 billion (their third biggest market after China and the US) after accounting for COVID and given that Creta is their most valuable product (considering cost + sales), I bet Hyundai makes atleast a Billion dollars from Creta sales in India

Last edited by dragracer567 : 13th August 2020 at 10:50.
dragracer567 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 11:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Believe it or not, it is also a Hyundai that behaves well at high speed . Who would have thought???
This statement is really BIG for a Hyundai, especially for their SUV; considering at one point their sedans were in-famous for the boat-like handling!
Can't wait to read the official review of the 2020 Creta.
Old 13th August 2020, 12:55   #10
BANNED

But bulk of the 5 lakh sales came from previous gen Creta which most people find better looking. Sure, it's doing great right now but generally first 4/5 months are due to novelty sales. Let's see how it goes from here because unlike in the past, they have Seltos to beat this time around. If Seltos also brings in pano-roof, it will be difficult for Creta to repeat its past success.

Then there will also be Duster and Thar ATs thrown into the mix. People may write off Duster but if Renault loads up the Duster and prunes price, it may find good number of buyers. Ditto with Thar. Although a different segment but I think it will steal some numbers away from these SUVs. If the old bare-bones Thar in just 2 variants could sell in good many numbers, I am sure the new one with diesel/petrol, Hard Top/Soft Top, M.Tran./A. Tran. spread coupled with host of features and Wrangler look will definitely take sales North.
Old 13th August 2020, 13:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe not a direct comparison but the first-gen Santa Fe (no experience with 2nd gen) was brilliant to drive at high-speeds and fully stable till 180. Something I miss from my Kodiaq and fun-to-drive factor.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 14:54   #12
BHPian

I think another thing which Hyundai did very well is how frequently they kept updating the model with facelifts (or even the second-gen car, which IMO, at 5 years of age, was timed perfectly).

Whether the nip-and-tucks made the Creta better or not, is up for debate but the facelifts definitely helped keep things fresh and drawing in new customers to the showrooms.

What also helped is the sluggish response of the competitors. Even though this segment is one of the most crowded ones in our market, there was simply no product that even came close to the overall package offered by Hyundai. Duster is too old and rough-edged, Kicks and Captur had very poor marketing and pricing, Harrier and Hector are a couple of sizes larger and a fair bit more expensive. And Compass, T-Roc and Karoq are much further up the premiumness (read money) tree.

This means that the Creta was pretty much the only option for a vehicle of its size and class and managed to grab this sweet spot all for itself.
Batfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 16:27   #13

Following are the reasons I feel Creta made an impact with the sales in our country:-

1. The Creta when initially launched did come with options of diesel engines in the form of 1.4 and 1.6. 1.4 for the "kitna deti hai" people and the 1.6 for the enthusiasts. Both had a grin on their face when they drove it.

2. Also it came with the AT alongwith the manual transmission option which suited the urban commuter due to the traffic conditions in our metros and tier 2 cities. As the purchasing power has increased in these cities, it is easier to pay for a comfort product (rest to the left leg) though been comparatively higher priced than its competitors.

3. It did not have any direct competition for eg: Duster was an old product, Ecosport was too compact, S Cross looked more of a crossover than a SUV, BRV is more of a Mobilio in disguise etc.

4. Feature rich product from Hyundai has helped them gain over their competitors.
Silver_Knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 07:49   #14
BHPian

Hyundai Creta crosses 6 lakh unit sales milestone in India in just 70 months since it's initial launch. What's more surprising is, last 1 lakh units have found homes(or showrooms) in just about 8 months or so after breaching the 5 lakh unit sales mark in August 2020. Given the pandemic situation, the numbers are just mind-boggling.

Source: Autocar India
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-india-421098

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th June 2021 at 09:24. Reason: Missing word.
Old 15th June 2021, 08:33   #15
Team-BHP Support

Where Hyundai win is that cars are available 3 hours (figuratively speaking) after the announcement. Volumes are built up prior to a release and new cars flood the market so that people see them and are intrigued or disgusted (new Creta!)!

Waiting lists are confined for the less popular colours and variants. I have bought 3 Hyundais for my mother and all of them were available within 2 days.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks