Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2021, 12:46   #76
BHPian

Re: Toyota RAV4 coming to India as a CBU import

Really excited for this car! Love the styling and looks. Hopefully, Toyota prices it in an 'amazing' way too. Thanks to the fellow BHPians for sharing these shots with us.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 13:24   #77
BHPian

Too little too late, Toyota. This is DoA.

Looking at India's vast landscape and meagre electrification infrastructure, I firmly believe that we need to shift to plug-in Hybrids before we can entirely dive into "next gen" all-electric cars- a gradual shift over the next half decade.

However, Toyota has disappointed with their product line up and pricing time and again and their marriage with MSIL has turned me off them for good, despite them having first mover advantage with Hybrids. An expected 50L+ for the RAV4? Give me a break. Stick to writing "Urban Cruiser" on Brezzas with a Sharpie.
Singh101 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:27   #78
BHPian

They can't bring it in as a CBU. It'll be too expensive! They really need to localize it to 90%. I'm sure they shouldn't be having any troubles considering they already have a supplier base ready with them.
It's a soft roader and they really cannot charge much premium for the Toyota brand. Also, it is a good opportunity for them to get more Japanese suppliers in India to setup base just like Korean manufacturers do! It'll be a good Make in India push!
sidharthg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:35   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
If I remember correctly, RAV4 was brought out in the Gulf (as a soft roader) in competition with Honda CRV, and is priced competitively there.

CRV retails between 28/30Lhere, anything beyond this will be DOA for the Toyota.
it is cheaper here in saudi than the CRV however pretty unimpressive vehicle from inside. lots of hard plastic . its very plain from inside

i found the CRV cockpit and interior way better and sppealing

solid car no doubt. but you will get bored esiliy. however they should spice up the interior for the indian market expecially if they are bringing it in the 30-40 lakh range
Old 14th March 2021, 15:42   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_mustang View Post
it is cheaper here in saudi than the CRV however pretty unimpressive vehicle from inside. lots of hard plastic . its very plain from inside

i found the CRV cockpit and interior way better and sppealing
It may be plain but CRV is no better and its definitely not hard plastic all around.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 16:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
Rav4 is in the category of Harrier, though a touch narrower than Harrier. Wheelbase is lesser than Harrier/Safari.
Attachment 2131965

Attachment 2131968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
If I remember correctly, RAV4 was brought out in the Gulf (as a soft roader) in competition with Honda CRV, and is priced competitively there.

CRV retails between 28/30Lhere, anything beyond this will be DOA for the Toyota.
In Nepal, the RAV4 (old one - as per Toyota website pictures) costs about 12,000,000 NPR ≈ 7,500,000 INR.
The Harrier (H5 in Nepal) costs 8,499,000 NPR ≈ 5,314,858 INR.

The difference between the Harrier and RAV-4 (old gen) in Nepal is > 20 lakh!

P.S. what’s the deal with the number plate in the spy pics? Are we sure that this is a test car and not a private import?

Last edited by EightSix : 14th March 2021 at 16:07.
Old 14th March 2021, 16:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
P.S. what’s the deal with the number plate in the spy pics? Are we sure that this is a test car and not a private import?
Yes, quite sure. The vehicle I spotted had a 'Under testing by ARAI' or something similar on it.
GNG19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 17:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

The car looks nice, but I have a feeling that they will mess up with pricing big time. Let's wait and watch before we jump to any conclusions. They should have introduced this car in the Indian market a long time ago, but looks like they have finally acknowleded the backlash they received on their lethargy in India. If they announce a price beyond 50L for this car - it's definitely dead.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:15   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_mustang View Post
I guess it depends on variant. Rav4 comes with soft touch plastics all around. More ever the pictures attached were of hybrid variant, it is going to be expensive.
nandrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 19:15   #85
BHPian

Launch RAV4 prime, then you can charge a premium and drive hybrid adoption as a "performance" variant. Can't price it well if CBU, atleast showcase the performance premium to some enthusiasts.
shreevishnu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:31   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Ugly unimpressive looks at least in black. The CH-R is so much more funky and modern. Looks like Toyota is destined to be only the Innova & Fortuner in India.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 06:32   #87
BHPian

Pricing of Toyota RAV4 ranges from $28,600 to $43,400 here in Canada which is equal to INR 17 Lakh to INR 25 Lakh.
But going by Toyota India’s history, there are very less chances that they will price RAV4 in the above range. My prediction is, Toyota will be pricing RAV4 equivalent to or above Fortuner.
Old 15th March 2021, 23:42   #88
BHPian

They probably would market it as a niche limited offering. Priced high at launch and if the Toyota fanboys don't drive sales, then probably knock a few lakhs off to clear the stock or maybe relaunch with a TRD kit.

On another note, Toyota has been in the Indian market for so long and they have a wide range of models in their global portfolio that can easily be adapted to the Indian market. Why can't they just get it right and bring the heat on the competition? Toyota is not an aspirational brand IMHO and I don't understand why one should fork out loads of cash for overpriced models only because resale value and reliability is what the brand can bank on here in India.

If it's going to be priced above 30 lakhs, I rather buy a Tiguan or the upcoming Kodiaq Petrol and beef up on the extended warranty.
LPJ777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 07:39   #89
BHPian

Upwards of 30L and one is looking at a very niche market. Somehow I don't get it - why would a mainstream offering be positioned as a premium product? Why can't Japanese big 4 play the volume game and price it for the regular junta.

RAV4 is just your regular SUV on a sedan platform - Nothing to write home about. Same with the Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tucson or the Ford Escape (within the US market)
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 19:20   #90
BHPian

The new RAV-4 is a surprisingly good car compared to the CVT driven SUVs in this segment (Nissan Rogue, CRV). It goes up against the Tiguan world wide. I hope they price it in that range. The hybrid is super efficient but pricing it at 50L will be a disaster.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks