Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 17:46   #61
BANNED

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Good exteriors spoiled by bad interiors in my opinion. Car looks good from outside but once you peep in, interiors are really odd, not matching to exteriors at all. Not sure if others will agree or not.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

A well compiled, attention to detail report that gave more than an initial peek. Thank you Aditya

As many members pointed out, Diesel AT is the highlight of this launch. A torque converter diesel is something which our market has been yearning for ages in the sub 10 lakh segment. Sonet would've had even bigger impact if diesel prices were at earlier levels. That's on the cards I guess, cut in diesel prices.

For people whom space isn't that big a consideration, Sonet makes for a compelling proposition than a mid variant Seltos. The icing on the cake is you almost get every feature that Seltos boasts of - be it safety kit, convenience kit, ICE and even the bling and the gimmickry elements. Another blockbuster in the offing for Kia. Death bells are ringing loud and clear for Brezza and the likes.

Hope they address the booking and delivery experience this time around. With Seltos, many owners were not given the colour and variants they booked with dealers taking advantage of the long waiting period and pushing people to opt for the second and third choice colours or offer whatever is readily available. Add to that there was total lack of transparency too with no clarity on waiting periods. I would like to see this chink in their armour addressed with Sonet in what has been a dream run for Kia since the time they've set foot on our shores.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 7th August 2020 at 18:25.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:24   #63
BHPian

Hi, is there any news whether the iMT will be available with the diesel?
Old 7th August 2020, 18:28   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

One surprise that new Sonet buyers will find is that the Sonet has a bigger boot than its own sibling the Seltos! The Sonet boot should be around 360L (similar to the Venue) while the Seltos actual boot would be around 320L.
The Sonet will have all the features which the Seltos offers , hopefully at a price which is at least 3-4 lacs cheaper than the Seltos!
It may even cannibalize sales of the Seltos too.
Overall looks to be a great package and design is lot better than the Venue.
Behemoth is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Mixed emotions for me. I feel they should have chosen a different colour for the media car as the red highlights on a red car look a little overdone. On the inside, the AC panel looks really odd and is downright horrible on the lower variants - Link (The Kia Sonet Compact SUV, now unveiled)

The overall proportions too (atleast from the pictures) still make it look small, similar to the Venue.

Having said that, hats off to Kia to come in with all guns blazing - Petrol, Turbo petrol, Diesel, iMT, Torque converter, DCT .
They did this with the Seltos and it worked out brilliantly for them and I see this paying dividends with the Sonet too. To top it off with their list of segment first features and just by virtue of being the newest entry to this segment I'd be surprised if it did not get off to a flying start.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 7th August 2020 at 18:35. Reason: typo
fiat_tarun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

A Close Look : Kia Sonet

Thanks Aditya,Thumbs up.

Great attention to detail. All we need now is the drive report as and when the Sonet is available.

The feature list in a ₹ 10 lakh car is fantastic :. I am glad Kia did not go the Hyundai way with respect to availability of automatics on top spec variants.

Would have liked you to cover a bit on the presence of the Sonet as compared to say an Ecosport. Does it have a comparable road presence?

The only other wish is that Kia fully de Chromes the GT line and make it look sporty a la Trailhawk. There is just too much chrome on a wanna be sporty design.

Kia could have cleaned the car better before putting it on the ramp. It took Team BHP to spot it :

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1596805154.669801.jpg

Well done on bringing the action to us in such detail.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 7th August 2020 at 18:34.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One surprise that new Sonet buyers will find is that the Sonet has a bigger boot than its own sibling the Seltos! The Sonet boot should be around 360L (similar to the Venue) while the Seltos actual boot would be around 320L.
The Sonet will have all the features which the Seltos offers , hopefully at a price which is at least 3-4 lacs cheaper than the Seltos!
It may even cannibalize sales of the Seltos too.
Overall looks to be a great package and design is lot better than the Venue.
Seltos has a 433 litre boot. Same as Creta.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:52   #68
BHPian

Excellent write up sir,
If the success of the Seltos is anything to go by, then Kia surely has a winner in their hands.

I think they should clock another 1 lakh units preety fast, with both the models.

Wow, what a combination,
1.2 Petrol with 5MT
1.5 Diesel with 6 MT and 6 AT
1.0 Turbo Petrol with 7DCT and 6iMT

It's like having a huge buffet to choose from.

Eagerly waiting for the team bhp review, especially the iMT
Old 7th August 2020, 18:53   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Seltos has a 433 litre boot. Same as Creta.
No, in reality it is much smaller. I have done the measurements myself and actual is not more than 320L - and there is whole separate thread dedicated to that!
When you go to see the Sonet , measure the actual boot measurements of the boot and also do the same for the Seltos and you will be surprised.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...our-car-2.html (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th August 2020 at 18:54.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 18:53   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
The rear underthigh support seems lacking imo. Renuka is not a tall person, and there seems to be reasonable gap between the knee and the seat.
I think she mentioned that she had adjusted the front seat for a 6 footer. I guess, given the 4m Sword of Taxation hanging on the manufacturers heads, there's only so much that they can do.
Old 7th August 2020, 19:02   #71
MUJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
Hi, is there any news whether the iMT will be available with the diesel?
The iMT will be available only in the 1.0L Turbo GDi Petrol. The 1.5L Diesel will be offered with a 6 speed Manual and 6 Speed Torque Converter. I don't think the iMT will be available in the Diesel anytime soon.
MUJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 19:07   #72
BHPian

Could never think of buying Venue but this one is definitely in consideration for mother/wife car. Kia hitting it off the park with its launches. Rear looks bad though.
Old 7th August 2020, 19:09   #73
BHPian

I see a lot of people are saying "so many" features for sub 10 lakhs vehicle? I am sorry but SX Plus Turbo DCT DT(Petrol) (Top Model) of Venue costs around 13,56,828/- in Hyderabad and the range toping Diesel is at 13,76,747/-. All these features and gimmicks will be available only on top SX(O) variant of Sonet only. Remember Seltos costs bit higher over Creta, so Sonet will cost even more than Venue if you ask me. Let us reserve the excitement until prices are revealed by Kia, hopefully Kia will price it aggressively.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 19:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think she mentioned that she had adjusted the front seat for a 6 footer. I guess, given the 4m Sword of Taxation hanging on the manufacturers heads, there's only so much that they can do.
I am talking about the underthigh support. Not the leg room. If you see there is ample gap between her knee and the length of the seatbase. Renuka isn't really a very tall person, yet the gap is perceptibly high. It would be even more for some 5'8' or more.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 19:28   #75
BHPian

My opinion on the Kia Sonet is a mixed bag.
Though I know for sure that it's going to sell like hotcakes (and perhaps cannibalize the Venue sales in the process) somehow it doesn't click with me. Though the design is aggressive, polarizing, fresh, etc. For me it's a bit of overkill, especially the fins at the rear. There's also too many different textures/finishes going on in both the front and rear bumpers. Maybe the tech line will be a bit more toned down.

The interiors look aesthetically fine for me except the instrument cluster. It should be all digital or all analog + MID. The huge digital speed readout looks really cheap (like a Kwid ). The Venue does with a regular instument cluster, which in turn looks way better.

Is it just me or do the variants other than the GT line and Tech line of the Seltos look unappealing? I hope the same doesn't happen for the Sonet. The Creta and Venue don't seem to have this problem in my opinion.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th August 2020 at 19:32. Reason: Grammar, typo.
Seahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks