Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 16:51   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Close Look : Kia Sonet

More Pictures & Video: Kia Sonet reaches the showroom

Earlier this month, we had reported that the Kia Sonet has started reaching dealerships. We have now received some more pictures and videos of the car at a dealership. The new images and videos show more of the the exterior as well as the interior of the vehicle.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-11.jpg

Both the cars seen in these pictures are of the GT Line trim and come equipped with automatic transmissions. One of the cars, which is finished in Beige Gold has a 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine paired to a DCT.

The Sonet comes equipped with 16-inch alloy wheels, 10.25-inch touchscreen head unit, 7 speaker Bose sound system, LED sound mood lamps, and wireless charging with cooling function. It also gets an air purifier with virus protection and perfume, ventilated front seats, electric sunroof, umbrella holder, 6 airbags, and front and rear parking sensors.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-12.jpg

Recently, Kia released a video brochure with the feature list and some specifications of the car.

A leaked copy of the car's brochure suggests that the Sonet will be available with three engine option. These include a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine producing 82 BHP @ 6,300 rpm and 115 Nm @ 4,200 rpm paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox and a 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine producing 118 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 172 Nm @ 1,500-4,000 rpm. This engine will be offered with either a 6-speed iMT or 7-speed DCT. The Sonet will also come with a 1.5-litre diesel engine that will be offered in two states of tune. The lower-spec engine produces 99 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 240 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm and is paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox. The higher-spec engine is equipped with a variable geometry turbocharger. It produces 113 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm and comes paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-2.jpg

The SUV comes with three driving modes - Normal, Eco and Sport, and three traction modes - Mud, Sand and Snow.

Kia is scheduled to launch the Sonet in India during the festive season this year. The company revealed the car on August 7 and started accepting bookings on August 20.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-9.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-1.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-3.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-4.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-5.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-6.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-7.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-8.jpg

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-sonet-10.jpg

Thanks to Faisal Lone for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 31st August 2020 at 16:54.
ChiragM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:13   #437
BHPian

SONET defenitely looks like a mini DODGE Durango from the front. Read Ultra-mini Durango.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-636353871212935386dodgedurangosrt18.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 31st August 2020 at 17:15.
Old 31st August 2020, 18:11   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Prices leaked (?)

Don't know how authentic it would be.
But these are as per my guess / expectations hence shared here.
Source
Would be a disappointment if true. They have a huge opportunity to get some solid volumes by offering the HTK+ Diesel Auto at 9.99 lakhs, at least as an introductory price. Proper TC Diesel Auto in the compact SUV segment is the USP of KIA Sonet and there is a lot of demand to be tapped if prices are right.

What I find funny in this list is, the petrol variant prices seem to exploit the 9.99 lakhs barrier well, with two options being offered at that price point - the HTK+ DCT and the HTX IMT. Whereas on the Diesel range, they offer nothing between the HTK+ Diesel manual at 9.69 and the HTX Diesel manual at 10.49 lakhs. Overall, I think there is room for the Diesel price range to go down by 50-75 K across variants, The equivalent variant to the HTX, in the Hyundai Venue (SX Diesel Manual) is priced at 9.99 lakhs while the Sonet HTX Diesel is priced at 10.49 lakhs.

I would expect the Turbo DCT pricing to be closer to the Diesel TC prices. For example, In the Seltos, the price difference is only 5K for like-for-like variants between Turbo Petrol DCT and Turbo Diesel AT. Also, I would expect the Petrol IMT and Diesel Manual prices to be on par. For example, both the SX Diesel Manual and the SX TurboPetrol IMT are priced at 9.99 on the Hyundai Venue.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 31st August 2020 at 18:13.
Old 31st August 2020, 20:20   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Thank you for sharing this. I really hope the GTX+ diesel auto is not 13 lacs ex showroom. It's a lot of money for a sub 4 meter car. Even if it is a diesel with TC and with all the bells and whistles, I think these predicted prices are a little off. Plus, as rightly pointed by another member, the price difference between petroL DCT and diesel TC is whopping 1 lac (GTX+ variant) which shouldn't be the case.
I do too, truly hope the 1.5 diesel Auto GTX+ is not 12.99L ex-showroom. But if they price it so, they won't be way off the mark. Without the TC transmission, 6 airbags and few fancy features, the Tata Nexon Dual tone top variant diesel is 12.70L ex-showroom for 2 airbags, AMT transmission.

In comparison, the Mahinda XUV3OO top end variant W8 optional with AMT and 7 airbags is 12.3L ex-showroom.

Let's see what pricing reveal brings us, joy or pain.
k_ajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 20:50   #440
BHPian

Source: Team Car Delight
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-fb_img_1598886781126.jpg  

Lakshit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 21:02   #441
BHPian

I'm one of those guys who has pre-booked the Kia Sonet. Taking a chance with Kia for their introductory prices. Hence went to the showroom to have a look at the Sonet. Few points to note (in similar lines with what others already said):

Exterior:
- Easily comparable to the street presence of sibling Seltos for 60% of its size and price!
- Looks huge from the front, realistic for its size from the rear end.
- Headlamp cluster looks fab!
- Tyres seemed undersized in the initial reveal done. Looks very proportionate in person (specially the width of the tyres).
- Bumper seems overdone. That is going to be one of the hardest things to maintain once the swirl marks make their way.

Interior:
- High quality all black interior in the GT Line is impressive.
- Seats offer decent support. Somehow, the front seats look like an aftermarket fitment from behind. Unlikely miss on an otherwise well fitted car.
- The much talked about rear legroom is comparable to the new Santro. This could possibly be a deal breaker for many. (Mom accompanied me with all the excitement. But didn't get in to the car saying the space is less. [She coming from an erstwhile Ciaz, into all black interiors of Sonet, a bit of an unfair comparison])
- The boot release lever was hard to find from the driver's seat.
- The seating position vs the height of the car makes the 10.5 inch screen seem huu..ge. Its almost on your face. On a related note, compare that with the sunroof. It seems way too small (as soon as I turn my attention up above).
- Getting in to the car seems like a little bit of a foot exercise, specifically due to the curvaceous shape of the car and a high door sill.
- Seats are more on the softer side.
- Door pad plastics are not of the greatest quality in certain places.
- Roof lining is particularly of great quality.
- The instrument cluster's analog/digital integration (when switched on) seems a bit out of place on an otherwise great dashboard.
kaushik_ak is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 22:20   #442
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review. Space at the rear (Leg space for the occupants) does seem to be an issue. But then I faced the same with Venue as well. Let me reserve my observations for later, when I do check it out. Which showroom did you visit in Bangalore? Will the JP Nagar Showroom have one on display?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_ak View Post
Hence went to the showroom to have a look at the Sonet. Few points to note (in similar lines with what others already said)
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 22:35   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Which showroom did you visit in Bangalore? Will the JP Nagar Showroom have one on display?
The JP Nagar Nara showroom has the car on display, a red GT Line. This is where I checked as well.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 23:50   #444
Senior - BHPian

If you want rear seat comfort it is best to go up a segment. This is about as spacious as the Venue which is about as spacious as the i10 on the inside. Both cars fool you into thinking its big because of the flared fenders that make it feel so. This segment is best used for office commuting or dropping sub 10 year olds to school and grocery shopping or if you have a very small family or parking constraints in building society.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 14:06   #445
Senior - BHPian

Base HTE variant as per Facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look : Kia Sonet-fb_img_1598949315684.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 15:04   #446
BHPian

The Sonet Brochure can be downloaded using the following link:

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kia2...-leaflet-d.pdf
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 16:55   #447
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Kia Sonet to be priced from Rs. 6.99 lakh

While Kia is gearing up to launch the Sonet this festive season, a document with the ex-showroom prices of the car has been leaked online.

A Close Look : Kia Sonet-kiasonetdealershipimagespricelist087c.jpg

We can't confirm the authenticity of this document, but according to the price list, the 1.2L petrol version of the Sonet could be priced between Rs. 6.99 lakh and Rs. 8.29 lakh. The price of the turbo petrol variants could range between Rs. 9.49 lakh and Rs. 11.99 lakh.

The base diesel (HTE) could be priced at Rs. 8.39 lakh, while the top-spec GTX Plus Diesel AT variant could cost Rs. 12.99 lakh.

The Kia Sonet shares its underpinnings with the Hyundai Venue. Like the Seltos, the sub-4 m SUV will also be offered in multiple variants broadly classified into two trim levels - GT Line and Tech Line.

The Sonet will be offered with three engine options. These include a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine producing 82 BHP @ 6,300 rpm and 115 Nm @ 4,200 rpm paired with a 5-speed manual gearbox and a 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine producing 118 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 172 Nm @ 1,500-4,000 rpm. This engine will be offered with either a 6-speed iMT or 7-speed DCT.

The Sonet will also come with a 1.5-litre diesel engine that will be offered in two states of tune. The lower-spec engine produces 99 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 240 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm and is paired with a 6-speed manual gearbox. The higher-spec engine is equipped with a variable geometry turbocharger. It produces 113 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm and comes paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission.

Source
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 17:04   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

This pricing if true, has the potential to literally wipe away some segments from the market altogether, let alone just some cars. It has no competition in the 1.5 diesel + TC AT combination as it is & the HTK+ that KIA is known to load up pretty well - is mentioned at 10.75L for the Automatic trim! That is smash hit pricing to say the least IMO. And also creates a good buffer pricing at the top GTX AT diesel trims such that SELTOS prices can be tweaked a bit further upwards in next 6 months after Sonet stabilizes.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 18:01   #449
Senior - BHPian

At the above mentioned prices the Sonet top spec diesel auto is around 4.55 lakh cheaper than the equivalent spec Seltos and will translate to a good difference of over 5 lakhs on road.

Considering similar engines and gearboxes, apart from larger real estate, is the Sonet missing any features?

Other than its own, the Sonet may just punch above its segment too.

Hoping the introductory prices from Kia may just be better than the rumoured pricing.

Kia may have its cake and eat it too.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 18:04   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel the HTK+ diesel AT should be priced between the HTK+ and HTX diesel atleast at launch later they can increase the prices. I know the TC gearbox is priced at a premium compared to it's manual counterpart but there are lots of people who have shown interest in this AT variant. Also since this is going to be the most popular variant in the line-up and I can bet this is the variant which has received the maximum bookings. Kia should price this variant properly!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks