Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021

According to a media report, the Mitsubishi Pajero will go out of production in 2021.

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-mitsubishipajerofinaledition.jpg

The report states that Mitsubishi is preparing to close down its Pajero manufacturing plant, located in Sakahogi, Japan. The production output of this facility has seen a massive drop as sales slumped, making it unprofitable to operate. While this would come as a shock to Pajero enthusiasts, Mitsubishi is yet to confirm these reports.

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-mitsubishipajerofinaledition-1.jpg

The first-generation Pajero was introduced in 1982 with the second and third-generation vehicles coming in 1991 and 1999 respectively. Mitsubishi debuted the fourth-generation car at the 2006 Paris Motor Show. The SUV received an update in 2015. In addition to a refreshed exterior, it got a few updates to the interiors.

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-mitsubishipajerofinaledition-3.jpg

In August 2019, the Pajero was discontinued in Japan. But, before it was taken off the shelves, Mitsubishi launched the "Final Edition" which was limited to just 700 units.

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-mitsubishipajerofinaledition-2.jpg

In India, the Pajero was replaced with the Pajero Sport. It was powered by a 2.5-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine producing 176 BHP and 400 Nm.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 18:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021

I wish they had updated the Pajero Sport. I have driven the AT version extensively & according to me this is the best SUV to drive when compared to Fortuner. I was told that the manual version was loads of fun by the mechanics at Mitsubishi, but I feel the AT is very relaxing while cruising on the highway or even in the city. A lazy boy of sorts, with much better ride & no vertical movement at highspeeds whatsoever. I am gonna miss this car for sure.

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-pajero-sport.jpg

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 19:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Feel very sad reading this. The butch Pajero was my first love and continued in the 80s and 90s. This car got me more and more involved with the automotive world during my growing years (sort of, launched me in that direction), till the Porsche arrived. Then it was a different journey. I hope they discover the muscular looks and go back into its roots, to relaunch this legend. The rounded profile of New Pajeros (the feminine Sport especially) just don't cut it.
Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 19:55   #4
BHPian

Sad to see this legend go forever. Its really sad the way Mitsubishi has progressed in the last few years. The legendary names like Lancer and Pajero were put to rest, probably a top-level decision at the Renault-Nissan alliance.

Even in India, these nameplates still command respect of many people. Honda and Toyota really did affect their sales a lot, in addition to lack of touch points. Had there been a more proactive partner than Hindustan Motors, probably the story would have been different. Let's hope they do bounce back with their rumoured partner in Jamshedpur.

Slightly off-topic, but I did visit the Mitsubishi Showroom in Bhubaneswar last year after they announced the price revision of the Outlander. I did not even expect a demo car there, but to my surprise there was a white one! The salesperson was very welcoming and explained everything well. I sat in the car for quite sometime. I was very impressed with the simple interiors, and even thought of getting one momentarily. But then the showroom ambience was not encouraging and there were no confirmed plans for BS6 transition for Mitsubishi, so had to let go of that time. Let's see what the future holds.
Researcher is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 01:19   #5
BHPian

I believe this news is not about Pajeros we had in India. The Pajero we had in India is actually Montero in international market. The news is about stopping the production of actual Pajero which I believe was not sold in India. It's very unlikely for Montero to go out of production as its really popular in Middle East and southeast Asian markets.

Last edited by Flyer : 29th July 2020 at 01:28.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 01:55   #6
BHPian

I think Mitsubishi is done for. Mitsubishi Motors in the UK has written to its retail partners to inform them of their plans to exit the UK and European new car markets. Mitsubishi has announced on July 27 that it would freeze the introduction of new models into Europe with immediate effect. The trio formed by mitsubishi-renault-nissan may target each continent separately. Mitsubishi for North America. Renault for Europe and Nissan for Asia.

https://www.am-online.com/news/manuf...n-with-dealers
Sran is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 03:16   #7
BHPian

The Pajero is one of those SUV which can last for an eternity, there is simply no substitute to it irrespective of the wonderful products in the Automotive Industry. The competitors may be superior in a lot of ways but this UV caters to those few men who simply wants to savour the driving experience. It's one of those rare incredible reliable products with austere technology and splendid craftsmanship.
YashD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 05:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
The trio formed by mitsubishi-renault-nissan may target each continent separately. Mitsubishi for North America. Renault for Europe and Nissan for Asia.
Not so sure if Nissan will quit US just yet. It is probably their most profitable market. Asia/EU are nowhere close.

This was reported sometime back.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN22G0XD
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 07:12   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The weakest are hit the worst by economic downturns & Mitsubishi is suffering big time due to Covid-19. This is just the start of the cuts.

Ironical that Mitsubishi is putting the Pajero to rest in a market that is so hot on SUVs! Shows just how mis-managed & weak the company has been. Since the 2000s, Mitsubishi is on a slippery slope, with every year being worse than the previous.

That said, the Pajero nameplate is too iconic to be permanently dead. I am sure they will resurrect it later, but for a softer crossover.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 07:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Pajero has always been one of the dream SUVs that I would like to own. I could just keep on staring at it for hours, without blinking an eye. I somehow was not a fan of the new-gen. The old SFX with a red and white paint job was my favorite. The Pajero would have been a massive hit In India if only Mitsubishi was a bit serious.
RIP, you will be missed.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 29th July 2020 at 07:39.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 08:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I believe this news is not about Pajeros we had in India. The Pajero we had in India is actually Montero in international market. The news is about stopping the production of actual Pajero which I believe was not sold in India. It's very unlikely for Montero to go out of production as its really popular in Middle East and southeast Asian markets.
The Pajero we had in India is the older-gen Pajero, whereas newer gen Pajero were sold here as Montero. I too find it hard to believe that Pajero production stopping considering it's popularity in other markets.

Quote:
As part of its restructuring plan, Mitsubishi, a junior member of the Nissan-Renault automaking group, said it would stop making the Pajero SUV crossover model next year, and close the plant in Japan which makes the vehicle. The maker of the Outlander SUV said it would reduce its presence in Europe and North America and focus on growing in Asia.
(source)

Pajero is one of my favourite vehicle, it was equally good both on-road and off-road, the car may be huge but you would never feel it while driving.
Justin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 09:19   #12
BHPian

It was their streak of wins in Paris - Dakar Rally, that brought Pajero, a name to be reckonwd with. Have not come across such a sturdy SUV.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th July 2020 at 10:43. Reason: As requested
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 09:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

This is my old school Pajero, and it has really made me fall for it deep. Every day, I used to admire the sheer capability of this vehicle. It has been with me and have done things I could never imagine!

Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-img_3672.jpg

The Pajero is truly unbreakable, I hope the company does some justice to its iconic name plate!
dhanushs is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 13:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, the Mitsubishi Pajero will go out of production in 2021
Well, THE Pajero was effectively out of production with the second generation being phased out internationally. Glad that it continued to be available in India till as late as 2012! While we can get into endless debates on the archaic & under-powered engine, "dated" interiors, etc., I am sure there are many like me who swear by the indestructible build, bulletproof mechanicals, and drop-dead looks of the Pajero SFX! The legend will be missed for sure.

First generation: 1982–1991
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-p1.jpg

Second generation: 1991–1999
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-p2.jpg

Third generation: 1999–2006
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-p3.jpg

Fourth generation: 2006–Present
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-p4.jpg
Image courtesy (for the above) - Wikipedia

My SFX
Legendary Mitsubishi Pajero to go out of production in 2021-paj.jpg
cool_dube is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 14:23   #15
BHPian

This name will be missed for sure.

We had 2 SFX in family one being red and other being black. I used to just sit and admire at it's beauty. Only negative was the poor FE and we had issues with AC in one of the SFX. The last gen did not impress me as much as the SFX. Gladly I can see handful number of current Pajeros daily here in Saudi, it has still got takers here.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed