Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Land Cruiser to be relaunched with a BS6 engine

Toyota Will Bring The Land Cruiser Brand Back To India.

Naveen Soni:

Quote:
We are not giving up that product, and definitely in some form, shape, size you will see that product coming back.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 11:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Land Cruiser to be relaunched with a BS6 engine

Toyota Land Cruiser to be relaunched with a BS6 engine - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 11:49   #3
BHPian

Truly impressive how they are beating this dead horse !

Living in Delhi, I think the only LCs I have seen in the past couple years have all been diplomat vehicles, which are probably imported.

Still have a soft spot for these trucks though, it's commendable that some one is building overengineered, purposefully durable vehicles in some form at all these days.
chieftain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

The epitome of rudimentary but reliable engineering. I personally love this truck and the image it exudes. Though we know it is slow, dated and quite handful on the road.

But a LC next to you at the red light with all its size and aura will warrant a second look. A Range Rover does not get the same gaze.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The epitome of rudimentary but reliable engineering. I personally love this truck and the image it exudes. Though we know it is slow, dated and quite handful on the road.

But a LC next to you at the red light with all its size and aura will warrant a second look. A Range Rover does not get the same gaze.
And most importantly it will keep on working reliably long after the Range Rover has been reduced to iron dust.
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:51   #6
BHPian

At close to Re 1.8 crores on road, i am surprised this dinosaur still manages to find buyers.
The interior is spartan, and they are not much fun to drive. At this price i would buy a Mercedes GLS and a C class.
windrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

It's a long interview and I could not watch the comments where he specifically mentioned LC. What I know from Dealerships though that it is planned for 2021 and should come with gasoline 6 Cylinder V6 supported with a hybrid. But we can be totally wrong and they simply launch the current LC with a petrol engine from LX560 which is Euro-6.

Later will be the easiest and I really don't know, why they did not consider this before despite the demand for such vehicles in Petrol from customers in past. Maybe the recent change in fuel preferences and the success of some other Petrol SUV has prompted Toyota to get these vehicles once again. Yes, there are still customers for LC despite the price.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 16:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
At close to Re 1.8 crores on road, i am surprised this dinosaur still manages to find buyers.
The interior is spartan, and they are not much fun to drive. At this price i would buy a Mercedes GLS and a C class.
Out of curiosity I checked the prices and saw the GLS starts at a lower price in the US with a similar engine in terms of power:

GLS 450 3.0L $75,950 362 hp 369 lb-ft Torque

Land Cruiser $85,415 381 hp 401 lb-ft.Torque
4WD 5.7L V8

No wonder Mercedes sells 6-7 times as many compared to Toyota per month in the US.
Foxbat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 20:19   #9
BHPian

At work in the oil fields this is the vehicle that I have been driving for the past 5 years. Out of my driving experience of nearly 23 years, driving an LC has brought to me the ultimate driving fun. Have always felt if I could get one in India, I would not ask for anything else on 4 wheels. But at this crazy price of 1.8 Cr, it's just not worth it; nor is it in my affordability range. Will settle for something whose landing cost would make some sense.
skchettry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 20:56   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

No wonder Mercedes sells 6-7 times as many compared to Toyota per month in the US.
Here is a video about falling sales of LC in US.

pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 07:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity I checked the prices and saw the GLS starts at a lower price in the US with a similar engine in terms of power:

4WD 5.7L V8

Toyota is pulling out the land cruiser from north america in 2022. They have similarly capable toyota sequia and 4runner models which are a lot cheaper and plenty of used LCs , that there are very few takers for brand new ones.
windrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 10:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a big thing for them to relaunch it.
After all, it's just a CBU. And the LX570 brethren is still on sale.

Though I guess probably TKM would just wait till the next gen LC comes.
Could also launch it with the speculated new V6 diesel.
Rumoured to be smaller in size and more functional in nature, giving the luxury big SUV mantle to Lexus.

Maybe that is what he meant by 'in some form, shape or size'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It's a long interview and I could not watch the comments where he specifically mentioned LC
Don't bother.
The usual Toyota official talk. Nothing official.
The LC comments come in the last 5 mins.
In fact other than the hybrid localisation plan, this is the only concrete product tidbit from the entire interview.
Old 25th July 2020, 11:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

4WD 5.7L V8

True, but the GLS is leased and latest, the Landcruiser is a decade old and is sold at list price or against confirmed orders. Quite an achievement for Toyota, they don't have a compelling offering for the full size (US) segment.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:09   #14
BHPian

It's always good to have cars like LC and Prado in your portfolio.

Not many will buy for that price but still it will add something to the brand value. Anyway it's a CBU so TOYOTA must bring in cars like Highlander too, it is priced below Prado and way cheaper than the LC. And comes in Hybrid ( PHEV ) form.

Toyota Land Cruiser to be relaunched with a BS6 engine-2020toyotahighlanderplatinumhybridawdrubyflarepearl001v1current1576332482.jpg

Toyota Land Cruiser to be relaunched with a BS6 engine-hl_gallery_03.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 27th July 2020 at 19:11.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:50   #15
BHPian

This is an interesting move. I wonder why they want to convert a car that sells less than 1 unit per month into BS6 compliant but gave up on their 1.4L D-4D which was selling ~1000 units a month in the Etios twins. It could have probably given some sales volume to the Yaris as well. Is it for economic reasons? Is the profit margin on a single Land Cruiser more than that on a 1000 budget cars?
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks