Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Toyota Corolla Altis today?
Yes 401 68.66%
No 183 31.34%
Voters: 584. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2020, 14:10   #46

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)

I voted a Big Yes.
Infact I have advised my brother-in-law who is abroad to look for a good second hand Corolla Altis for his daily office run. He needs to buy a car (more of a compulsion than a necessity) as he needs to resume his duty and is skeptical using a Uber or a local taxi during these COVID times.

Also I'm on look for a same here to upgrade from my TATA Manza. The following are the reasons why I consider the same:
1. Good back seat (comparable to my Manza) - We mostly travel with all four adults for vacations, family occasions, etc. So more than the driving dynamics, I prefer the back seat comfort which my parents / wife would enjoy. A very satisfying thing after a long driving day (Read Peace of Mind).

2. Suspension - In the Corolla Altis that I have traveled, I felt that the suspension setup is towards the comfort and very accomodating.

3. Upgrade to D1 segment - It will be a very good upgrade for my C segment sedan to a D1 segment (that too not at a very high cost of acquisition)

4. Service - Toyota service is considered to be cost effective and also best in class. Also conveniently available spares and excellent customer services adds to the overall experience. (coming from Tata service would definitely seem heaven to me).
Old 25th July 2020, 16:43   #47
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)

Voted a big No. D segment cars depreciate much faster than the lower segments. But the Corolla being a Toyota, it demands more which defeats the purpose of buying it.
I won’t pay 14-15 big ones just for the sake of reliability. With that kind of budget I would prefer buying the new City.
If it has to be a used D-segment car I would vote for Octavia, without an iota of doubt. You can get the 1.4 TSI manual version which has enough power and is pretty reliable too. It can be your family car and also a car that can make you have fun at the ghats. The fit and finish is at a different level and feels much more luxurious than the Altis.
Didn’t get Jetta into the mix as it’s manufacturing has been stopped and spare parts can prove to be an issue (wrt time factor). Otherwise it’s slightly ahead of the Octavia as per me in ride and handling.
In fact in this budget you can find even a Superb with manual 1.8 tsi.

Last edited by Waspune : 25th July 2020 at 16:49.
Old 25th July 2020, 17:14   #48
BHPian

Voted an overwhelming YES.

I drive a pre-owned Toyota Corolla (May 2004 model) which was bought by us in May 2007. It has completed 16+ years and has been with us for 13+ years now. Totally no-fuss car, extremely reliable machine. Asks for minimal maintenance. People won't beleive but I spend less than 3-4k per annum on its maintenance. Only last month I had to change front two tyres. Else, a trouble-free ownership till now, touchwood.

I must mention here that I own a VW and a Skoda too and am a fan of VAG cars. But Corolla is on a different level. It has such a pliant ride and a chiller AC. Hope to keep it as long as possible, despite NGT's diktat on 15+ years old petrol car.
sanyog26 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 17:48   #49
BHPian

I voted a Yes.

I currently drive a 2011 model Altis D4DG, which I bought used about two years back.

I must say that is one of the best cars I have driven in and long drives just don't feel long in this car. This car is a real mile guzzler. The kilometres just seem to dissolve while you are sitting in a nice and comfortable lounge it seems. The car tunes out all the outside noises almost completely.

However, I must admit that the car has two issues that have been a bit of a bother for me. First, the cabin is indeed very sparsely furnished. The company music system doesn't feature a bluetooth or USB port, which does bother me at times. I did think of getting a bluetooth receiver, but somehow never seem to get around to it. The second issue is the extremely cost of spares. This is one car that you need to be extremely careful with. The cost of spares is very high for this car. I have a good mind to keep my current car for a few years and then trade it for another one of these.

Lets see what the market offers at that time.
pareekvirendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 00:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

I voted Yes. I own a pre-facelift VL and I still love driving my Altis. On bad roads it feels like a boat, though. Overall I'm satisfied with the car and makes for a good used car buy. Just look at car prices nowadays!.

My Altis!

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Corolla Altis (11th-gen)-.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 27th July 2020 at 03:03. Reason: Typos fixed. Picture inserted in-line.
nickatnite is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 01:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

As a former owner, my answer is NO:
  • The 9th and 10th gen were elegant looking. Can't stand this edgy looking contraption.
  • In the 13 months I owned, spent 53K on repairs and maintenance. Parts are expensive.
  • I brought the 2010 VL-AT for 4.6L in 2017. A similar age car that is almost going out of Extended Warranty at 7.85L is a bit too much.
  • This is predominantly a chauffeur driven car. Very few are self driven. And that means abuse, especially with the diesel versions.
  • Ground clearance maybe better than the Civic, but this scrapes with 5 passengers onboard and a reasonably tall speed breaker. I don't need to mention broken tarmac here
  • Last but not the least, the famed Toyota A$$ is a farce. They look to ripoff just like any other. Quoting a engine rebuild for 94K for a low FE complaint was just the last straw.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 08:56   #52

Whoa ! My first post happens to be about a car that I own

It's the most sensible choice I believe, Corolla is world's best selling car for a reason

And with Toyota preferring to provide all safety features over not so necessary luxury features it's a very pocket friendly choice too , factoring in the ASS

The maintenance is even cheaper than a desire or a Honda amaze
Yugansh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 11:33   #53
BHPian

Voted NO despite of having almost all generations of COROLLA in my family.

Whenever I hear the word Corolla, just one term comes to my mind and that is " Atrociously Overpriced " . With all respect to it's reliability quotient and comfort level.
Old 26th July 2020, 11:41   #54
BHPian

Voted a yes.

Simply because the only thing that give me the kicks during a journey is the feeling of driving a mechanically bullet proof car.
Old 26th July 2020, 13:15   #55
BHPian

Could someone shed some light on the backseat comfort.. I’ve only read that the legroom is bad. But if the seats are supportive and comfortable. And the ride is plush.
It should make for a competent car for someone looking to have their parent chauffeur driven around the city.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 16:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Voted against it. Would take an “unreliable” Skoda any day over the dreary Corolla. An Octavia or even a Rapid petrol is a more VFM offering for family purposes. And the Corolla is not even a “premium” offering, considering its extreme beater image outside of our own shores.
Old 26th July 2020, 18:11   #57
BHPian

Voted Yes!

Toyota's are incredibly reliable albeit being a little overpriced. Although the diesels might not be very fun to drive but they can easily clock 2 lac kilometres if maintained properly. Unlike VWs and Skodas, they command good resale value in the used car market. If I was looking for an used car, I would look into Maruti, Honda or Toyota stables.
Old 26th July 2020, 18:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Voted against it. Would take an “unreliable” Skoda any day over the dreary Corolla. An Octavia or even a Rapid petrol is a more VFM offering for family purposes. And the Corolla is not even a “premium” offering, considering its extreme beater image outside of our own shores.
Even the Octavia has an extreme beater image all over Europe and is the mainstay of the taxi business.

Voted no only because the premiums in the secondhand market for the Corolla are unwarranted ....you can get a new city for the price of a 3 year old Corolla and not lose out on space, practicality or performance
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 20:31   #59
BHPian

Voted a NO..!

This car apart from the reliable brand name fails to impress on all the grounds like:
1. Less Powerful engine
2. Boring Looks
3. Boring Interiors
4. Below par Music system
5. A much higher price considering a pre owned car

I would anyday go for a pre owned Jetta or Octavia for the sheer pleasure they give to the driver.
And infact buy a new Honda city instead of this. Period.
Old 26th July 2020, 21:20   #60
BHPian

Voted yes, for the below reason.
At the price of 1 million rupees or less for the last generation, this would be a good beater car for the family chores, especially as chauffeur driven due to the comfort and space available. Better than a Dzire or Amaze any day, if you get a well maintain pr worshiped one for 1 million or lesser.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks