Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Hyundai Elite i20 today?
Yes 190 41.76%
No 265 58.24%
Voters: 455. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2020, 11:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a used Hyundai i20 (2nd-gen)

Voted for yes.

Recenty picked up a used i20 AT (2011) for city use. The car wont be used for major highway runs as we have other cars for the purpose. We were on a tight budget of around 2 lacs for a hatch above 2011 and options considered/available were Figo, Fabia, i20 and swift. Out of the options from safety, service and comfort perspective we felt i20 scores above others (Fabia was my preference but 3 cyl and noisy engine some how didnt clicked and 1.6 are not available in plenty).

Will be vary of cons listed here, but general feed back received from owners whom I know were positive, so took the plunge. Hopefully it wont be a decision which I may have to regret 2-3 years down the line
Aravindpn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 12:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Very very surprised at the results after I submitted my response!

I loved the looks of the i20, arguably the best looking hatch in India during its period. I loved the red color especially.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 12:21   #33
BHPian

The Elite i20 is a gem of car. I had the car for a weeked trip, a diesel, amazingly powerful and comfortable. Though handling doesnt make it a drivers car, but you wont notice that unless you know. The thing that i know of preowned car marked, first hand, is that cars like these demand a premium. Swift is another example. The premium is will be so high that if you were to may be increase your budget by another 20% you will be in the next segment of cars all together, looking at amazing deals!!!!

I wouldnt doubt a single moment before picking this car. I would put my money on it. Because its a good car. Top end model have good safety features and maintenance other than any unfortunate niggles showing up, are cheap. I would suggest the diesel, top end model only. Top end because you pay only a slight premium for it and still get a lot more. Also all the safety features, which Hyundai gives(i.e majority of them) normally on the top end only.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 12:24   #34
BHPian

Voted No

This car is for:
1. Looks, premium written all over it
2. Reliable Engines, decent NVH
3. ICE, features, a zillion buttons on the steering

Against:
1. Dissatisfaction related to steering feedback ( even in the newer gens)
2. Complains on AC unit failing in most i20s
3. Expensive after sales
4. The petrol engine is very sluggish with air conditioning ON.
Old 18th July 2020, 13:17   #35
BHPian

Did you not have problems with this car in Ladakh?
Old 18th July 2020, 13:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Have driven my cousin's 2012 i20 and was fairly impressed with it. Comfortable and enough mod-cons. Not really a great driver enthusiast car, but barring that is a definite YES from me.
Old 18th July 2020, 13:49   #37

Voted "NO"

I own a 2010 i20 Asta variant. It has a lot features which were removed from Elite i20. The first gen.

My i20 is ageing well and still runs smooth. Happy with her. Yes, over the years, I spent few "K"s to keep her upright. Shocks are due for replacement, planned earlier this May, will get it changed once pandemic situation improves.

Once I thought to replace her with Kia but dropped the idea as she is really doing good. Little above to 80k. I just read GTO's thread one more time, evaluate whether I really need a new car.

I loved the first gen i20 more (2011-12). But certainly not Elite i20 2014 on wards..

Mod Note - Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th July 2020 at 19:02. Reason: Mod note attached.
parag_bandkar is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th July 2020, 14:32   #38
BHPian

I always liked the Elite i20's look and feel but hate the face-lift they did around 2018/2019. I too was surprised, but reading further, it makes sense why it's a No for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAnna View Post
Voted NO!
We have owned a Fluidic Hyundai i20 1.4 Crdi Sportz from Oct 2012 and sold in May 2019 (72000 kms odo). Hyundais don't age well. Following things were changed during the ownership:
1. Front and Rear Suspensions
2. All 4 tyres
3. Battery
4. ABS sensor of rear tyre
5. Steering Rack
6. AC overhaul
and Clutch was due for a change as it had become very hard towards the end.
Hope you don't say it doesn't age well because of the above though? Many other cars that has run 72K would have had most of these changed too.

Quote:
The engines have remained the same and mechanically not much has changed since it's inception.
+1.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 16:54   #39
BHPian

A car that never evoked any emotion in me. So voted no.
Somehow the Hyundai car which actually moved me was only the Accent Viva (in red).
Never liked any of the other cars despite their excellent reviews. The chorme bling interiors (of the earlier generation) put me off forever me thinks!
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 19:25   #40
BHPian

Voted NO since i own the 2008 1st generation model in its fully loaded Asta option variant minus the sunroof. This was just after the i20 was launched and a bit of leeway was there in your pick and choose options; i picked the fully loaded version but crossed out the sunroof as i felt that might end badly seeing that we had coconut trees at home then. At every point during and after the purchase, everybody told me what a fool i was to spend close to 7 lakhs on a hatchback!

I am happy to report i still have it and it runs very well. It is a good city runabout and can do sedate highway travel too. Haven't faced the AC issue but have changed bits and bobs of the steering system and the front suspension.

The most important thing that this car has and none of my current cars do is the very excellent cigarette lighter that came as standard fitment. It is hot enough for Montecristos!
Old 18th July 2020, 19:45   #41
BHPian

Voted No

I love the looks of the i20 Elite. I think it is one of the best looking hatchbacks we have in India, especially the pre facelift.
But voted no because, the need for a small diesel hatch is dwindling. Diesel as a fuel is also making less sense now due to increasing pollution, increasing cost, higher servicing and the BS6 norms and fuel making BS4 diesels not a very sensible buy.
My parents have the petrol i20 Elite and the engine is really sluggish. It requires a bigger and more powerful engine to move a car so solidly built. Hence there are better options in petrol available.
So overall I think it is not a sensible used buy.
Old 18th July 2020, 19:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Buying that old Figo with the precise HPS and handling on offer at less than half of a used i20 price with the same mileage would make sense any given day
I helped a colleague pick a 2012 Figo 1.2P Titanium run for 60k KMs and maintained very well in Bangalore for 2.88L. He got ABS, 2 airbags, inbuilt music system with BT, aftermarket reverse parking sensors, that dreamy Fiesta mark V chassis and purity of a hydraulic steering. Took the car for a thorough checkup at our nearby Ford service center, there is a paid service in which they give you a complete report on car's current condition and an estimate of expenditures, and also they give you complete history of the car, so that you know for sure that the odo hasn't been tampered with. He paid took the car directly to the service center after buying and paid 32k for all those mechanical works.
Got a nice steering wheel leather wrap and replaced driver's seat cover as only that was worn out, got thorough inside foam cleaning and rubbing, polishing done.
As headlamps of this car were no good, we got fogs replaced with iphcar's projectors + HID setup.
All in all he got it for 3.30L and the car is running as good as it would have on day 1. He would have gotten an i10 in that price range if it wasn't for me. Whenever I see him in his Figo, I get a sense of accomplishment.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 21:57   #43
BHPian

Voted No.

Had the 2010 i20 Sportz, bought new, until end 2019. While it was comfortable and feature rich, it never felt special. In addition, too many parts changed compared to the 55k it ran, including clutch around 45k. AC had problems from year 3, steering rack from year 6. Steering mounted controls stopped working from year 2 and replacements didn't help either.

From what I see in the forum, these problems are not unique to that generation. Won't recommend getting a used one.

Last edited by npal : 18th July 2020 at 22:04. Reason: typo
npal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 23:50   #44
BHPian

Voted yes.

The picture used in the first my post is of my car. I own a 2016 elite i20 1.2 Asta model. The 1.2 engine is no drive fun car. But it does the job. Me and my usually drive down to Kerala, my native from Bangalore and the drive is very enjoyable. I usually cruise on highway at 110-120 and the car is quite stable at that speeds. One of the downside of the car is low milage and also the service cost is high as compared to other companies such as Maruti Suzuki. Also sometimes spares will not in be stock in some tier-2 or tier-3 town service centers such as my native.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a used Hyundai i20 (2nd-gen)-img_20200717_230238_597.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 19th July 2020 at 12:14. Reason: Typo corrected. Thanks for sharing.
Kottayamkaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 08:32   #45
BHPian

Voted yes.

I've always preferred the petrol i20 to the diesel variant. Easy to drive and fairly decently priced spares make it easy on the pocket.

But I've seen some nagging issues on the i20, especially the wiper motor failing quickly. The issue is that if the car is parked under trees regularly, the leaves tend to get into the cowl and block off the water drain passage causing the wiper motor to fail prematurely.

Most Viewed