Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you are buying an extra car or if you’re living alone, you would :
Buy a coupé/2-door hatchback 208 73.76%
Buy a 4-door family car 74 26.24%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 12:53   #1
BHPian

Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?

There are two primary reasons that a significant proportion of the cars sold in the US are 2-door hardtops :

1.) SMALL FAMILIES : As soon as the kids turn 18, they start moving out. Living alone or with a partner doesn’t really require them to choose a 4-door.

2.) AFFORDABILITY : Thanks to their high average annual income and the very popular ‘buy on lease’ system which has made it easier for everyone to buy cars in the US. So, buying an extra car for a working couple or upgrading to a bigger car isn’t something to worry about.

Up till now this scenario has been quite opposite in India. We had larger families and they usually had a single car, so buying a 2-door was out of question.

But in recent times, India has seen a change in family pattern. Youngsters are moving out of their native towns to A-Class cities like Bangalore, NCR, Mumbai, Hyderabad etc for better prospects and are usually living alone.

Also, buying a Rs. 5 Lac car isn’t big a deal as it was say in 2005 and I’m looking forward to a positive trend towards car lease programs by 2030, people WILL have an extra car parked in their garage.

So, affordable 2-door coupés (ESPECIALLY HARDTOPS) will start making sense provided the car manufacturers launch one or two cars in their line up.

Even in 2003, when the Zen Carbon and Steel were launched they had showed that 2-door coupés can sell like hotcakes but unfortunately no manufacturer realised it.
The fact that youngsters still prefer buying it used shows a lot about the market potential.

Also, San Storm was another car. Though it was a dud, but still had it been launched with a Hard Top and a good AC, I think it would have fared better than what it did.

A FEW INDIAN CARS THAT EXIST (or existed) WITH A 2-DOOR BODY STYLE ABROAD :

1.) Suzuki Swift HatchbackAffordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-a506526ebb5a46519e1ec1bd04e1ba5e.jpeg

2.) Hyundai i20 Hatchback Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-c8835ab5ac0e4170a31e06b952aad12e.jpeg

3.) Suzuki Jimny/Samurai (Indian Version is going to be a 4-Door and hence it will exceed 4 meters in length.)Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-e3f5030c9b7244a587c1bd6acd64d849.jpeg

4.) Honda Brio (just an abstract by the designer)Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-9a7624cacbfd4f85a0e943dd238b7a88.jpeg

5.) Hyundai Accent Viva (LC) Notchback Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-994ae648fe90443a843c5632d02ff30a.jpeg

6.) Hyundai Verna (Hyundai Accent MC) Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-b4a0e681c9954e0593d76799e3a96284.jpeg

7.) Honda Civic Coupé Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-bad5ce999ed14b8ca933d26523ff1dfd.jpeg

8.) Fiat Palio Hatchback Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-18636d4773544436ba9a5c051940f22e.jpeg

9.) Fiat Punto Hatchback Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-fc9906c680b7454ebd6158a3d8d98a0e.jpeg

10.) Ford Fiesta
Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-b85291968d174dc0a0796d9e05317ae9.jpeg

11.) Ford Ikon (Fiesta Mk4)
Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-315ea4bce17b4df5848b6ed6bebce646.jpeg

12.) Hyundai Getz Hatchback Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-66232cded5f8445b97e09fd3ead2d406.jpeg

So, would you have bought any of these 2-door coupés or hatchbacks if they were launched in India?

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 11th July 2020 at 13:22.
dr.aviansh is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 14:04   #2
BHPian

re: Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?

My reply might not align with the majority here.
The way I see 2 door cars, if the rear two doors are traded off, it showed have better sporty, aerodynamic body given the reduced space and a massive difference with engine.
If the shape (appealing looks) or performance don't have substantial difference, I'd want to go for a 4 door version of above mentioned vehicles.
Even if it doesn't qualify with above mentioned points, reduced price for 2 door version might also lure me there

One such vehicle always comes to my mind, polo GTi, as it was sold in india, it isn't the contender for the list but boy is that a car! That sweet sweet 1.8 TSi is the stuff which needs to be there with 2 door versions if looking for sportier counterparts. It being a CBU was still below 25L, imagine if it comes as CKD, it might costs somewhere around 15L!

I am pouncing on that deal
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 21:28   #3
GBX
BHPian

Never going to happen. The retooling, crash certification and so on, required to have a 2 door and a 4 door version of the same car would be significant. The 2 door will not sell in large enough numbers to justify it. And removing the 4 door altogether would be suicide.

Right now youth and sporty doesn't require a bigger engine or lesser doors. Just stickers will do.
GBX is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Here we have people going in for crossovers/SUVs, when all they may need is a sedan or hatchback.

And 2 door hatches/ coupes?

No way. Even among luxury/sporty models, if there is a 4/5 door version, Indians will chooses them blindly over the 2/3door one.

Even internationally many cars are losing their 2/3 door versions with a generational change.

Most of the 2 door coupes/hardtops that are sold in USA are maybe pony/muscle cars or the likes of Corvettes.
3 door hatchbacks are all but dead.

Even in SUVs, except for the Wrangler, 3 doors are dead. Maybe some 2000s Japanese SUVs still on sale in GCC/ Australia.

But the Jimny was a SMASH hit, the Defender got a 3 door version and upcoming Bronco also has a 2 door I believe.

The market is miniscule in India for a cheap 2/3 door vehicle, unless it's a really sporty one or an offroader jeep model.
Even then, the success of the model may spurn the company to launch a 4/5 door version for a wider market, and by the next generation the 2/3 door version will just vanish. The Sierra concept. A fabulous concept as it is they couldn't help adding a rear door.

Just look at the Jimny thread. While the fact is a little more length would make the Jimny practical, most members are of the opinion a 5 door version is needed for India. And everyone knows how MSIL would think.

I yearn for the Jimny to be launched in India, as also the Honda E.
My dream personal non-sporty 3 door vehicles are the Y61 Patrol and LC70.

But alas, other than the Mustang, the next cheapest 3 door we will be seeing for a long time is the Gurkha and Thar.

Last edited by DicKy : 11th July 2020 at 23:12.
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 08:10   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

2-door sales numbers have been falling even in their biggest market (USA), and I doubt we'll ever see them in India. The loss of practicality versus a 4-door is simply too much. I'd never own a 2-door as my primary car. At best, it would be the 2nd or 3rd car of the house.

If you want 2-doors, buy a Thar or Gypsy! In fact, we have had a decent number of 2-door cars in India, including the Thar, Gypsy, Gurkha, Sierra, San Storm, DC Avanti, Reva, E2O, Mustang, Beetle, Polo GTI, Zen Carbon etc. The first "Indian" 2-door that was seen in fair numbers was the Standard Herald.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 10:44   #6

Re: Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
But alas, other than the Mustang, the next cheapest 3 door we will be seeing for a long time is the Gurkha and Thar.
You seem to have forgotten the Mini Cooper and also the A3 Cabriolet which was on sale until recently.
Trex5151 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 10:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

2 door hatchbacks and coupes will never happen.

Before you can even get to 2 door hatches and coupes, you first need the public to warm up to 4 door premium hatches.

There's a reason why we don't have VW Golf, Honda Civic hatchback, Ford Fiesta hatch, Skoda Scala, Hyundai i30. If the public warms up to these premium hatches then yes 2 doors maybe an option.

But till we clear the hurdle of premium 4 door hatchbacks, you can be rest assured there's no way we will jump straight to 2 door coupes.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 14:38   #8
BHPian

I had posted about the same topic on my automotive Instagram page some days back and guess what, the post got zero response!
In India, 90% of the folks (both enthusiasts & non-enthusiasts) would always prefer the 5 door version over the 3 door one but I am in the minority!
I would love to have a nice 3 door hatch with cabin space at par with the 5 door counterpart (e.g- i20). The sporty 2 door appeal, the long sports car like doors and a slightly lowered stance gives a character to the car which the mainstream versions just can't match!
But I also believe that these cars are strictly for single folks
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 14:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think when EVs go mainstream, manufacturers will start offering 2 door models here in order to shed weight for range primarily but also to offer a smaller footprint on road for those who want a commuter especially in the post Covid world.

That Brio sized EV aka Honda E is a start.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 19:21   #10
BHPian

My requirements from a 2 door hatch:

1. It has to be really compact. If a manufacture just removes the 2 rear door but keep the bodyshell, it wont cut with me. I would prefer something even smaller than 4-door compact hatches, something the size of Fiat 500.
2. Not a family car so it should be fun to drive. More power than run of the mill hatchbacks. Better handling and braking is welcome.
3. Focus on quality. The interior should be good. Feature loaded to differentiate against regular 4 door versions so that buyer can be swayed towards buying one. MUST HAVE SUNROOF!!!
4. Should be priced sensibly.
Heart_Revs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 19:31   #11
BHPian

My wishlist would be, either:

1) A purpose built driver-focused car (like a Toyota 'hachi-roku') OR
2) a regular car that is faster in a straight line with tightened handling (e.g. even Altimas now hit 0-100 in 5.7 seconds), while retaining the usual practicality

I, personally, would not bother with 2-door versions of regular cars if they do not deliver on significantly improved handling prowess / driver feel, or straight line performance over their regular 4-door stablemates.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 12th July 2020 at 19:32.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 21:58   #12
BHPian

Voted NO. What for 'just in case' practicality. Unless the 2 door is heavily practical like Thar or something similar that manages to look good enough in non-SUV guise (like Panamera or RS7), I'm better without a 2 door hatchback.
PrasunBannerjee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 09:52   #13
BHPian

Voted for a 4-door vehicle, primarily because of the practicality aspect. Coupes/2-door hatchbacks can probably make a second car, either by way of a hot hatch or a sports car (provided I can afford one) or a hard-core off-roader like the Thar/Gimny.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 10:17   #14
BHPian

I would gladly buy one. The requirement would be an occasional acess to the back seat. An acess to the boot would be mandatory.

If Jimmy is launched, I would immediately buy it.

I think the most cult 2 door cars of the yesteryears were sierra and the zen carbon. Thar, gypsy etc are still the highest selling ones.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 11:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

A 2 door city runabout as a second car suits perfectly for elderly, ladies to do errands.

Something like a Nano AMT 2 door, or a Alto AMT 2 door.
Infact Bajaj Qute is the perfect car to sport 2 doors due to its really short dimensions.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks