Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you are buying an extra car or if you’re living alone, you would :
Buy a coupé/2-door hatchback 208 73.76%
Buy a 4-door family car 74 26.24%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 20:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post

Up till now this scenario has been quite opposite in India. We had larger families and they usually had a single car, so buying a 2-door was out of question.

But in recent times, India has seen a change in family pattern.

So, would you have bought any of these 2-door coupés or hatchbacks if they were launched in India?
Hi Doc,
Nice thread. I would ponder about this while growing up and during my work trips to different parts of the world, where I would see the 2 door versions of cars which look pretty sporty too. I am glad you posted this thread. Got to read a lot of opinions and thoughts.

But given the India context, I voted No.

My reasons being:

1. Price Point / Affordability : Whether second or third car in my garage, the cost difference between a proper 4 door and a Coupe would be very minimum. A full 4 door is way more practical than a 2 door. Maintenance is also going to be about the same.

2. No Significant Advantage : I don't see any significant advantage of having coupe to run errands and stuff or be a fun car to drive as compared to its 4 door sibling. On the contrary, I feel the 4 Door would offer way more advantage in space and comfort than a 2 Door.

The car to most households in India is still a luxury commodity. Keeping that in mind, I wonder how many can afford ( pure numbers ) a second lifestyle vehicle, which would directly impact the manufacturer's interest to make them ( in numbers to lower costing )
Old 15th July 2020, 23:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

2 door cars are never the primary car of the house in any country. At this age when private car ownership is being re-evaluated due to alternatives like bicycling, public transportation, shared rides, and self-driving cars, 2 door cars out of question unless they are microcars like the Smart Fortwo which may connect in a long chain of cars once it reaches the mainline.

Affordable 2-door coupés / hatchbacks in India: Still a distant dream?-2020smarteqfortwocoupeeditionone0.jpg
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 03:06   #33
BHPian

Somewhere in the back of the mind, we always think about the resale value. Coupes will have a very limited audience making it a buyer's market.
In addition, the front doors are longer in some cases not practical from a parking perspective.
Lastly, unless it's a limited edition or the specs are a petrolhead's delight, why would you buy a 4 seater with 2 doors when the same is available as a sedan.
Old 16th July 2020, 03:32   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Only if it is the second car in a small family and provides cheap thrills i.e. Economical, Compact, has sun roof, fairly fun to drive and finally rugged enough to last. A Zen Carbon used fits the bill perfectly I think
Old 16th July 2020, 22:51   #35
BHPian

While I understand that 4 door cars are practical, more so for a country like India, there must still be an opportunity for 2 door coupés as well. Obviously the majority would buy 4 doors, but more and more people in India are in a position to buy a second car these days. To top that up, households are getting smaller and more people are starting to appreciate cars as something more than just a means of transport. From this perspective, cheap 2 door cars might actually do well in India. People buying a car for college, a second car at home and other such instances.

Besides a 2 door car is way 'cooler' in India than somewhere in Europe. Novelty is a big factor for many people. When I bought my Boxster, an S-Class from the same year that costed about the same when new was selling for less than a third of the price of the Boxster. That's probably down to demand and supply but it also means that novelty commands a premium, even in India!
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 02:55   #36
BHPian

In general, I would vote a no. In my opinion, if you are going to buy a 2-door car with back seats, you may as well buy a 4-door sedan. And there are enough sporty sedans available (BMW's M, Audi's RS etc.).

Where I would make an exception is a purpose-built 2-seater like a Mazda MX-5 or a Toyota Supra or even a Suzuki Jimny. In reality, most 2-door cars are a slightly shrunken version of 4-door cars.
Old 17th July 2020, 10:13   #37
BHPian

Voted yes for 2 door coupes.

There is a certain charm in driving a smaller footprint (not implied), taut chassis that is agile and quick on a regular basis that is hard to describe. A two door in this form is appealing for sure but it is essential for the two-door to have these added touches to its personality for it to be compelling.
Old 28th September 2020, 15:01   #38

There are 2 door cars and then there are 4 door cars which are made to be 2 doors.

And trust me, latter ones are so much pain and the novelty wears out quicker than McDonalds drive thru'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks