Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Hexa today?
Yes 563 67.34%
No 273 32.66%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 10:21   #136
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa

I own a Hexa XT 4X4. The pros and cons of the Hexa are readily available on these forums, so I will just focus on ownership experience.

I have had not one niggle or problem with the car after driving it for 28K kms over 2 years. It is a wonderful mile-muncher. I have taken it over horrible roads and smooth tarmac. Fantastic for both. City driving is a bit of a pain (manual + big car + heavy steering).

When you drive sedately, you can squeeze around 15kmpl on the highways. Servicing in Bangalore has also been good.

Based on my experience I would recommend the car
kovilkalai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 14:43   #137
BHPian

Have had a HEXA XTA for 4 years now and 60k KM done. (Would have been past 75K if not for Covid-19). I have had a wonderful experience with the vehicle and we swear by it for all our long trips. It has offered more or less the same reliability as my other cars and hence nothing to complaint out there.

The abuse that the vehicle generally gets from people is due to the perception of Tata as a brand. If a Toyota breaks something, the reaction is, 'awwww, s**t happens'. While if a Tata breaks something, the reaction is, 'pathetic company....blah blah.'

Recently I had an issue of water seepage inside the cabin (we eventually figured it was due to clogged drains around the firewall separating the engine bay and the cabin. A usual occurrence because my car is parked under a tree). We called the local friendly mechanic to check the door drain to eliminate the basics first. His reaction was, 'Why did you buy Tata? It's pathetic. This car seems new, take it to the service centre, it will be under warranty.'
I didn't know if I was to be appalled at the quality perception or be impressed about the fact that he thought my car was new!

One point about battery and long term storage: As has been pointed out, large diesels tend to really need quite a bit of current for cold starts and this is no exception. A petrol will have higher chances of turning on after 3-4 weeks compared to a diesel. There's no getting around this fact. Considering that your requirement is for it to be stored for 6 odd months, you'll be having problems irrespective of the vehicle type or brand.
jalsa777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 01:34   #138

So many opinions and tips in this long thread have prompted me to upgrade to HEXA from Ritz (which I recently sold with a heavy heart).

I have found one from an Individual and the specs are : Jul 2017 registered XM 7 seater MT version, 30,600kms Arizona blue colour. Alloys wheels installed at the time of purchase and car is under warranty till Jul-2022 and engine oil was changed in the last service in Mar 2021. There are a couple of nail drawn small scratches and the passenger sear on front has a small tear. Otherwise the car is in excellent condition. He is a first owner and the insurance valid till Oct 2021.

The price quoted is 10.5L

Reason for upgrade is addition of 2 kids and a pet daschund and frequent trips to Mangalore meant Ritz was getting smaller. Also, occasionally parents join us on cuty rides to malls, markets, church, etc.

Do you think its a fair price? Not worried about the mileage but Is the maintenance on the higher side (owner says 25k only which is ok for me if true)?

Marazzo and Scorpio are next choices on pre-owned list. Ertiga is ruled out and Innova/Fortuner/Endeavor are explicitly pricey for a pre owned car.
Coastrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 16:01   #139
BHPian

Hello to the entire Team-BHP community. I would like to thank the moderators for finally approving my membership.

This community helped me in making my first used car purchase. We as a family, have always drove cars out of the Company showroom and never ventured the pre-owned route. I have always seen the value in pre-owned but the wife and other family members were always against the idea of a pre-owned.

Come 2021, our family was expanding and we needed a larger car. Our current ride is a Dec 2018 VW Ameo Highline Plus DSG. The Ameo is a great vehicle to drive, however it is tight on space. I was looking for a large 5 seater or a 7 seater, however it had to be a diesel automatic. I was okay with spending about 18-20 lacs as I was also going to retain the Ameo. I put the idea up to the wife for going the pre-owned route and VOILA, she agreed. I immediately started my search in March 2021 and my criteria for pre-owned was that it should be less than 4 years old and the mileage should not be more than 35k. The options considered and decision made was as below:

Kia Seltos and Hyundai Creta: Both these were ruled out owing to the size and engine capacity. Both the vehicles are amazing when it comes to the feature list, the fit, finish and general feel of the interiors. I was considering the topline diesel auto in both and was ok to stretch the budget by a little to get features like ventilated seats. However spending 20-21 lacs on a vehicle which lacked road presence and more importantly was only 113 bhp did not make sense to me and was ruled out.

Tata Harrier: I test drove the Harrier and was fell in love with the size and road presence. It had a spacious cabin and good interiors. Obviously the fit and finish in the Kia and Hyundai were better, but the Harrier actually felt like a SUV to drive. It also had the 170 bhp 2.0 diesel engine which was great. However there were a few cons, like the ride was not very supple in the city and considering my budget I would have to consider the mid-variant. Spending 20-21 lacs and not even getting leather seats was a bummer. For the same reason it was ruled out. The safari was not considered as it was more expensive than the Harrier.

Mahindra XUV7OO: Was keenly following the thread and launch of the XUV7OO. I never like the XUV5OO's exterior styling, however somehow the straighter lines on the XUV7OO's exterior and interior impressed me and add to that the tempting 185 bhp engine. However considering the waiting and Mahindra's reputation of new launches, I did not want to be a trial customer for their new product.

Innova Crysta (pre-owned): The undisputed MUV king Indians swear by. The Crysta I was searching for was the 2.8 torque monster. It had to be the topline Z variant as I wanted all the bells and whistles. The G variant was ruled out as it was too basic for the price it commanded even through the pre-owned route. However considering my criteria, almost all Crysta's I came across were 23 lacs plus. Furthermore there were a couple of 2016 Innova's with 30-35k kms on them, however the asking was 20.5 lacs. It is known that Innova's are reliable, however considering the issues faced by Crysta owners and spending 20 lacs for a 5 year old vehicle made me wary and for the same reason it was ruled out.

Tata Hexa (pre-owned): Come September 2021, I came across a October 2017, Grey Hexa XTA with captain seats driven 22,500 kms. It was a MH-14 registered and was listed on Cars24. I paid the reservation amount and did a TD. I took a friend, who owns the exact same model for the TD. We both felt that the car drove well and there were no mechanical issues. No cuts to the leathers seats and the exterior, though faded slightly, was acceptable. I immediately decided to finalize this vehicle. Before I made the final payment got a friend to verify the service history from TATA. The service guy mentioned that the left quarter panel was repainted, other than that the car was clean. I also got in touch with the previous owner to verify the same and he confirmed stating that the quarter panel had few scratches due to which it was repainted and he sold the car as he moved out of the country. He also mentioned that the vehicle was in excellent shape and I would not regret the purchase.
That gave me some peace and I paid the full amount of INR 12.90 lacs on 22-Sept-2021. The car was delivered the same day. I had to buy insurance, which had expired, costed me 23K. I got a complete treatment done at 3M viz. paint sealant, interior germkleen and full underbody anti-rust treatment which costed me 18k. The battery was showing it's age being close to 4 years old. Got the same change to Amaron which costed me 6K. The car did not have a fastag, so ordered one from paytm.
Total damage to wallet; INR 13.38 lacs. All in all I got a 7 seater at much lesser $$$ than my budget. I know the Hexa is not as reliable as a Crysta, but I can live with that.
I would like to mention here the poor service from Cars24. They did not clean the vehicle even after repeatedly requesting them. On the day of the delivery the interior and exterior was dusty (could be coz their drivers drive with windows rolled down), the cubby holes in the 3rd row was filled with empty wafer packages, old plastic bags etc. I had noted these during the test drive and and specifically requested them to vacuum the interior and do a basic wash to the exterior on delivery. However the same was ignored and I was highly disappointed with their service.
I have driven the car for about 350 kms already and the car feels amazing. It has a roomy cabin, seats 6 comfortably and has a commanding driving position as you sit high. The JBL system has good bass and the AC is a chiller. Sharing a few pictures before signing off.

Drove to my trusted local mechanic to get the car checked. Cars24 delivered the vehicle in the exact condition you are seeing in the below image.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-img_20210923_142913.jpg

3M in action
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-img20210925wa0011.jpg

The front of the Elephant in the room.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-img20210925wa0023.jpg

Picture after the treatment
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-img20210925wa0024.jpg

Absolutely love the 19 inch rims provided by TATA.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Tata Hexa-img20210925wa0026.jpg
BHPjunkie is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 22:06   #140
BHPian

Greetings fellow BHPians!

I am negotiating for a 2019 Tata Hexa XTA. The car has done about 32000 Kms and appears to be well kept barring a few minor scratches. It is the model without roof rails and with the old ICE without Android Auto.

I request your inputs on what to look out for in this particular model while buying a pre-owned example? Also, inputs on specific parts that need to be replaced often or any service related issues are also welcome.

Lastly, is a pre-owned Hexa still a good choice or is it advisable to buy an XUV 700?

Thanks!

PS: I have already gone over the thread on buying pre-owned cars and the Team BHP PDI list. This post is for information regarding this specific model.
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 14:33   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
Greetings fellow BHPians!

I am negotiating for a 2019 Tata Hexa XTA. The car has done about 32000 Kms and appears to be well kept barring a few minor scratches. It is the model without roof rails and with the old ICE without Android Auto.

I request your inputs on what to look out for in this particular model while buying a pre-owned example? Also, inputs on specific parts that need to be replaced often or any service related issues are also welcome.

Lastly, is a pre-owned Hexa still a good choice or is it advisable to buy an XUV 700?

Thanks!

PS: I have already gone over the thread on buying pre-owned cars and the Team BHP PDI list. This post is for information regarding this specific model.
Being a owner of a pre-owned Hexa myself I would recommend to go for it. We got one in Sept 2021. It was a grey XTA, Oct 2017 model done 22,500 kms. We have already covered 3000 kms in 3 months. Its become the go to vehicle in the family for outstation trips. The ride and build is just fantastic and nothing comes close, not even the Crysta.

The only downer of the Hexa is that it is slightly expensive to run in the city, due to its weight. We are getting about 8.5-9 kmpl in the city with 100% AC. On highways it manager about 12-13 kmpl, with 4-5 on board with luggage with 100% AC.
BHPjunkie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 15:25   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
I own a Hexa XT 4X4. The pros and cons of the Hexa are readily available on these forums, so I will just focus on ownership experience.

I have had not one niggle or problem with the car after driving it for 28K kms over 2 years. It is a wonderful mile-muncher. I have taken it over horrible roads and smooth tarmac. Fantastic for both. City driving is a bit of a pain (manual + big car + heavy steering).

When you drive sedately, you can squeeze around 15kmpl on the highways. Servicing in Bangalore has also been good.

Based on my experience I would recommend the car
I really like the way you have put up your opinion on Hexa. I have been driving Safari Storme since 2015. My regular SA had invited me to the Hexa launch campaign where they drive you around the pre-defined obstacle course. I was so super impressed that I ended up in weeks of dilemma process whether to exchange Safari Storme so early for Hexa and then finally gave up.

I loved the overall AT driving comfort and real-estate space you can utilize in Hexa. And the sound system too.
Kams_cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:20   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
Being a owner of a pre-owned Hexa myself I would recommend to go for it. We got one in Sept 2021. It was a grey XTA, Oct 2017 model done 22,500 kms. We have already covered 3000 kms in 3 months. Its become the go to vehicle in the family for outstation trips. The ride and build is just fantastic and nothing comes close, not even the Crysta.

The only downer of the Hexa is that it is slightly expensive to run in the city, due to its weight. We are getting about 8.5-9 kmpl in the city with 100% AC. On highways it manager about 12-13 kmpl, with 4-5 on board with luggage with 100% AC.
Thanks you BHPjunkie!

I have bought the Hexa and am on my way to Ooty. Its indeed a great highway car. I have covered about 800 kms in two days. I could get an MID indicated 16.7 kmpl when driven sedately on highway. On an enthusiastic drive, it's about 12.3.
Prashant1286 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:01   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
I have bought the Hexa and am on my way to Ooty. Its indeed a great highway car. I have covered about 800 kms in two days. I could get an MID indicated 16.7 kmpl when driven sedately on highway. On an enthusiastic drive, it's about 12.3.
That is great to hear. I have found the MID inaccurate and the figures I mentioned were on basis tank to tank fuel fills. Sometimes the difference is almost 2kmpl. Do share pictures of your Hexa. Happy miles
BHPjunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:53   #145
BHPian

Hi friends, am looking for a change from my current car and needs your help in taking a decision

Current vehicle

Currently driving a Maruti Suzuki cross 1.3 zeta from 2018 June model. The car is at 65000km now.
Previous ride was a Maruti Suzuki Swift Zxi 2015 model sold off at 25000km in 2018 december

Reasons for change

My daughter is 6months old now and I would like to have a more spacious and safer car since she would be with us when travelling

What I am looking at

1. Tata hexa
2. Toyota innova/ crysta

This will be the only car in the family and a 7 seater is a must. All the seats will not be occupied always but the option to have them is a must. Have ruled out the ertiga and xl6 from the maruti since I don’t see them as an upgrade from s cross. Have driven ertiga owned by friends for long distances and I am not planning to buy one. Have considered all the other alternatives on the market and have shortlisted the above mentioned duo based on my budet and requirements. A budget of upto 12 lacs is fixed and there is no way I can extend that.
The innova and crysta is included just for comparison and am not really targeting one. Have checked on a few of them and none of them are within my budget. Have test driven a few hexas xe variant only and I am impressed with the vehicle. However I am looking at the xt variant only as it is the one with all the all safety features offered by the hexa. And other features like the automatic climate control are also important for me as I am used to the comfort and convenience provided by it in my swift and s cross. I prefer a manual variant over automatic even though the automatic have got very positive reviews by the members here. Never really driven automatics before. So I am not really qualified to make any statements regarding that. Will consider the XTA only if one preowned vehicle comes around at really attractive prices that I couldn’t just refuse. The car is not going to be driven on heavy congested traffic on cities often so the huge size and manual gearbox might not be a problem as far as I am concerned. The vehicle will primarily be used in state highways and mc roads in kerala at and a couple of interstate runs in an year at around 700 to 800km one side. Unlike the s cross which was used as a daily drive for commuting to my office since the pandemic began and hence had comparatively high running this car will mostly be used once or twice only per week and will be used for around 10k kilometers per year only. Have read every single thread on team bhp with Hexa in its title and have gone through every single one of 162 pages out of the 405 in the official review thread (the interest in this particular car is that serious). Have been following the car since its launch and I believe its perfect for me.
I am no driving enthusiast as per the usual perceived standards and quick acceleration or high speeds doesn’t excite me. But I love to drive. And I really love driving long distances in a calm sedate manner. Have driven 700 to 800 km daily trips in the s cross on a lot of occasions and I was really satisfied with its performance and braking and the way the car handled. The car could comfortably cruise in triple digit speeds and I could drive it with confidence and a sense of safety and still used to return amazing fuel efficiency at around 850 to 900 km per tank of diesel. If there was a 7 seater option of maruti with the same level as that of s cross I would have considered that only. Now I hope everyone understand my driving style and the kind of vehicle I needs.

Now, the situation is I am from kerala and the availability of pre-owned hexa is very limited especially the xt variant. Have checked almost all the availabile platforms online and I am unable to come across a good example. I have checked on olx and other platforms all over the country and there are a lot of vehicles available outside my state. I am open to purchasing out of state cars due to non availability of the car in my locality. But the problem is due to my lack of technical and mechanical knowledge about cars and that’s where I hope I could take the help of team bhp. Any kind of help in the purchase and search is highly appreciated.

The questions in my mind is

What all are the criteria that should be considered when going for an out of state car?

1.What kind of mileage on cars and the year of manufacture should I be looking for purchase especially when the one I am looking for is a discontinued model?

2. Is it a complicated process, the re registration and buying process from an outside state? Anyone in Kerala has such experience?
3.What all are the things that I should be looking for during the search and purchase so that I don’t fall into any kind of traps with the preowned purchase are usually associated with?
4.And the most important question is what should be the best price that I should be paying for a good maintained vehicle? Is it possible to get a good one on my budget of 12 lacs.
Thanks in advance all and a happy new year to everyone.
magic.dwarf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:29   #146
BHPian

Quote:
That is great to hear. I have found the MID inaccurate and the figures I mentioned were on basis tank to tank fuel fills. Sometimes the difference is almost 2kmpl. Do share pictures of your Hexa. Happy miles
It is indeed inaccurate like all MIDs. I have observed best figure of 15.32 kmpl when driven sedately and a worst of 7.8 when driven in city traffic using tank to tank fuel fills. I am in the process of penning down my experience with the car. Have driven it for approx 3700 kms over the fortnight.
Prashant1286 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 22:13   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Come September 2021, I came across a October 2017, Grey Hexa XTA with captain seats driven 22,500 kms. It was a MH-14 registered and was listed on Cars24.
Hearty congratulations on becoming a member and getting your hands on the Hexa.

How come you find something like a Hexa on Cars24? All I see is manual Marutis, Hyundais and Hondas.
Maybe the location matters a lot (my Vento is also bought from C24 and surprise surprise, it's a Highline Plus Trim 1.5 DSG - Like a needle in a haystack called Lucknow)
vredesbyrd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:43   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Hearty congratulations on becoming a member and getting your hands on the Hexa.

How come you find something like a Hexa on Cars24? All I see is manual Marutis, Hyundais and Hondas.
Maybe the location matters a lot (my Vento is also bought from C24 and surprise surprise, it's a Highline Plus Trim 1.5 DSG - Like a needle in a haystack called Lucknow)
Yes I guess it depends on the location. When I was shopping for the Hexa on C24, there were about 4 on sale. I was also looking for a Crysta but there were very few and also expensive. I wasn’t going to pay 20 lacs for a 5 year old 40k driven vehicle.

Congrats on your purchase of the Vento. The engine and gearbox combo is just fantastic. I also happen to own the AmeO DSG diesel which is the same as your Vento and it does plaster a smile every time your press your right foot down. Plus doesn’t pinch the wallet as much a TSI would.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2022 at 22:47. Reason: Capital letters, typos
BHPjunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:01   #149
BHPian

I'm very happy with my sedan (2016, City) but needs to upgrade to 6/7 seater as the number of persons has increased (parents are going to be with me).
Looking for pre-loved vehicles and Hexa came into picture. I usually keep things till it dies (previous car was Swift which was sold after covering more than 1.7L kms as the reliability went under the carpet - got stranded 4 times, when we decided to change it).

Saw a 2020 Hexa with hardly 25K kilometers (but pricey compared to North India). What are your thoughts, will it be:
a. Reliable for next 8 to 10 years
b. Spare parts availability (there are 2 dealers in my town)

or should I go for 5 years old Innova?
kozhissery is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:45   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I'm very happy with my sedan (2016, City) but needs to upgrade to 6/7 seater as the number of persons has increased (parents are going to be with me).
Looking for pre-loved vehicles and Hexa came into picture. I usually keep things till it dies (previous car was Swift which was sold after covering more than 1.7L kms as the reliability went under the carpet - got stranded 4 times, when we decided to change it).

Saw a 2020 Hexa with hardly 25K kilometers (but pricey compared to North India). What are your thoughts, will it be:
a. Reliable for next 8 to 10 years
b. Spare parts availability (there are 2 dealers in my town)

or should I go for 5 years old Innova?
Was in the same situation a few months ago. We were having 2 additions to the family and it was decided to go in for a 6/7 seater. My primary requirement was safety first and the Hexa trumped that. I bought a 21.5k driven Oct 2017 Grey XTA in Sept 2021. We have already clocked 5k kms in the 5 months of ownership. It's the primary vehicle we take on our highway duties.

I was also scouting for the Crysta but most of them were with high mileage and nothing was below 18.xx lacs. With regard to reliability of the Hexa, I do not think that should be a problem as the engine is the 2.2L Varicor which is a tried and tested and there are multiple individuals who have done lacs of kms with this engine.

If u find a Hexa which is in good shape, I recommend go for it, it a fantastic vehicle and nothing come close to the ride quality it offers.
BHPjunkie is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks